Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine build questions (Read 137 times)
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine build questions
10/11/10 at 05:21:33

So I am redoing a 1987 savage in my spare time.  yes I know it is going to snow on the day that I get this done and I ride year round so I will be making smiley faces in the street that day in the snow.  I have painted the top end with some 500 degree paint only it was gloss and phish scaled so I tryed a 2000 degree flat black paint...and it bubbled.  so I am stripping down what is painted.   the question I have is that at work when we split the cases on a harley we put the bottom end in the chassis most of the time and then build the top end while in the bike.   Less weight to maneuver.  In this savage when I pulled the engine I laid the bike on its side on a blanket and pulled the engine out.   I am just wondering...can I put the lower end in the chassis and then do I have clearance to put the cylinder and head and rocker cover in while in the chassis.  Another question.  I am not putting the chrome covers back on the sides of the rocker and I am wondering if the bolts that go in those spots are sealing bolts or just to leave them out...?  If so I will need to find equivalant bolts that are shorter...?   Thanks in advance.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Engine build questions
Reply #1 - 10/11/10 at 05:52:00

Build it complete outside on a bench -- entire engine weighs about 100 lbs so build it on a bench and put it back in the same way you took it out.

If you are talking chrome glory covers, no the bolts that hold them down go no-where to seal the head (just in the head).

Ditto for the valve covers -- bolts go nowhere (just in the head)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/11/10 at 11:27:36

I would build it on the bench and put it back the same way you took it out.  Getting the head cover on in the frame is a little tight otherwise.

What's the bottom end of a harley weight?  100lbs?

Just as OF said, all the holes are blind, only put something in there if you can't stand an empty hole   Shocked  All except the left front as it does offer some support to the sealing of the head cover.  That's the one that's captured bolt.  You can either use the same one (convienent if you decide to put the covers on) and drop a spacer on it and open ended nut.  Or put a shorter one in.  I put a shorter one in from on top (cause I forgot it) and pushed a nut in the fins.

WWW   IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/11/10 at 14:25:11

a big twin bottom end is not bad to pick up I would say a little more than the suzuki 650 whole engine.  the fun part is pulling the engine, transmission and primary and top end all as one.  I can do it alone but you have to eat your weaties that mourning.  

thanks for the help guys.  I have painted the engine today and getting it all in without scratching the new paint is going to be fun.  Guess I'll be searching for a bolt to stick in the front left whole.  Went to the suzuki shop today and ordered some more seals and plugs for the engine...got home and they gave me some wrong parts so its back to the shop I go.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/12/10 at 04:15:20

Iveheard of folks laying an engine on its side & laying the frame down over it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ebonysresearch

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/12/10 at 04:44:44

yea thats what i'll end up doing but it would be easier if i could just old school it in there.  we do that at work all the time.   its just going to be fun to not scratch the new paint on the chassis or the engine.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine build questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.