Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Have you had any issues with the stock petcock?

No        no issues so far on my bike
Yes          petcock issues took place
Fixed   I fixed hoses/rebuilt petcock
Replaced          I went with a Raptor
My bike was less 10 years old
My bike was 10 to 20 years old
My bike was over 20 years old
Overheating damage done to bike

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 10/11/10 at 08:32:46 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Issues with stock vacuum actuated petcock (Read 1278 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Issues with stock vacuum actuated petcock
Reply #45 - 10/25/10 at 13:53:36

Proud of ya !
And I'll give ya 10 bucks incl ship (5 bucks) for your old one.... if you decide to chuck it Smiley
ralfyguy wrote on 10/25/10 at 10:46:11:
I just broke down and bought me  a new stock petcock. I didn't have any issues  when riding, just a little inconsistent idle and having to switch to reserve after 1.8 gallons instead of 2 gallons like it used to. The screen on the old one was clean, so I suspect the diaphragm must have been a little stiff. I dunno. We'll see how it is with the new one. Besides that it was almost impossible anymore to turn the lever without pliers. The new one is all easy and smooth. We'll see for how long.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #46 - 10/25/10 at 15:45:12

That's enough! I'm going with 1/2" delcotranslux reinforced hose with a stainless manual ball valve with a red lever that says "STOP" and "GO". And I'll use 93 octane which is harder to light in a wreck.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #47 - 10/27/10 at 09:55:08

Routy wrote on 10/25/10 at 13:53:36:
Proud of ya !
And I'll give ya 10 bucks incl ship (5 bucks) for your old one.... if you decide to chuck it Smiley
I just broke down and bought me  a new stock petcock. I didn't have any issues  when riding, just a little inconsistent idle and having to switch to reserve after 1.8 gallons instead of 2 gallons like it used to. The screen on the old one was clean, so I suspect the diaphragm must have been a little stiff. I dunno. We'll see how it is with the new one. Besides that it was almost impossible anymore to turn the lever without pliers. The new one is all easy and smooth. We'll see for how long.

You really want the old one?

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #48 - 10/27/10 at 10:05:13

ralfyguy wrote on 10/27/10 at 09:55:08:
Routy wrote on 10/25/10 at 13:53:36:
Proud of ya !

You really want the old one?

I have an old yucky one you can have, if you want it too...  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #49 - 10/27/10 at 14:07:26

Well, we now have over twice as many folks reporting as last time I ran the numbers (and Babyhog forgot to click that she had a petcock failure although she reports one in the text and did list that she got a Raptor -- the numbers are off adding back up correctly by one now)

With Babyhog not reporting her petcock failure on the main 2 responses, we have 38.23% having had a petcock issue.   If she had clicked correctly, it would be 39.70%.

So we are still hanging close to 38-40% having had a petcock related failure and the total numbers reporting now are 68 (edging up on 100) and the petcock failure percentage has hung pretty good all along at close to 40%.

The vast majority are from bikes 10 years or younger (still surprises me, that)

Also, the sheer number of Raptor change-outs is racking up more than I thought it would be.   Thought -- with 19 Raptors out there if there was a big issue with folks having float bowl overflows as a repeated issue I think we would have heard about it out of 19 people that are reporting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #50 - 10/28/10 at 05:52:35

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/27/10 at 14:07:26:
Well, we now have over twice as many folks reporting as last time I ran the numbers (and Babyhog forgot to click that she had a petcock failure although she reports one in the text and did list that she got a Raptor -- the numbers are off adding back up correctly by one now)

With Babyhog not reporting her petcock failure on the main 2 responses, we have 38.23% having had a petcock issue.   If she had clicked correctly, it would be 39.70%.

So we are still hanging close to 38-40% having had a petcock related failure and the total numbers reporting now are 68 (edging up on 100) and the petcock failure percentage has hung pretty good all along at close to 40%.

The vast majority are from bikes 10 years or younger (still surprises me, that)

Also, the sheer number of Raptor change-outs is racking up more than I thought it would be.   Thought -- with 19 Raptors out there if there was a big issue with folks having float bowl overflows as a repeated issue I think we would have heard about it out of 19 people that are reporting.

OF, I did not have a petcock failure on my bike!  I reported correctly.  The one that I offered to Routy was one that was on the bike that I got from Lancer that I am now parting out.  I do not have a Raptor at all, on either of my Savages, nor my S40.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 10/28/10 at 06:31:30

Sorry,  Babyhog, I made those ASSumptions that caused my error based on interpreting what you said running it against what changes the poll information showed -- ASSumptions are not smart to do and I do apologize for my poll ASSumption error.

So it is 37.14% with 70 bikes reported  (and I am not going to assume that Babyhog punched in the rest of her bikes as assuming makes me an ass more often than not and I need to REMEMBER that ,,,,,,)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #52 - 10/28/10 at 06:38:46

Its ok sweetheart, it was a logical ASSumption...   Wink

I did only vote on MY 2006 S40.  I don't think I can vote again, and I don't know the history of my son's bike, so I wouldn't vote it anyway.  The petcock from that parts bike, we pulled because the tank had a hole in it, so it wasn't gonna be used on that tank!  If I remember correctly, we did use that stock one on my son's bike because the seal on his was bad.  But both those bikes had been sitting for some time.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #53 - 10/29/10 at 05:11:08

Yeah Babyhog, if you still have it, I'll take the valve.
Just send it same as before, and I'll
send 10 bucks same as before,..... Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 10/31/10 at 03:27:38

..... and it is amusing to me that the ones who still think the stock petcock is a good idea are busy collecting up a spare discarded stock petcock or two for when theirs fails on them ......

Are you gonna put a rebuild kit in it and then store it in a plastic baggie with a little oil in with it to preserve the rubber during storage?

And how old are those diaphragms in that rebuild kit anyway?

hee hee

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #55 - 10/31/10 at 06:11:32

My question is

What role does the corn juice in the gas play in the demise of these rubber parts.

The Accelerator Pump diaphragm went away on the Kawa W 650. The rubber compounds used in these diaphragms were decided on long before any ethanol was put in the gas. Maybe they should be Re-spec-ed with ethanol in the fuel taken into consideration..

But, hey, Im stupid, If you dont think so, ask Mick,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 10/31/10 at 10:29:36

I think the corn juice (ethyl alcohol 10%) plays some role in the diaphragms giving up early and in the needle valve tips sticking in the brass seats -- exactly what that role might be chemically,  I dunno.  

Just a thought though since the big upsurge in "crapped out" petcocks and "stuck in place" needle valves seems to coincide with the roll out of 10% Ethanol gasoline nationwide.

============================

If the Savage stays extant through the next few years (in the E85 roll out years) I would expect to see some better alky proof parts come out of Suzuki that might jest fit into the older bikes as well as "upgrade pieces".

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #57 - 08/24/12 at 13:18:40

Not sure how my vote scewed (screwed) your data:

I had no problems....yet I replaced the petcock with a Raptor and my bike is less than 10 years old.

I replaced the stock petcock to prevent problems that may have been forthcoming.  I bought a 5 year old bike with 262 miles on it.....it did a lot of sitting around.  I just felt safer with a manual petcock.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #58 - 08/24/12 at 14:03:25

OF. There is another reason to replace the stock petcock not mentioned in your poll. I did it so I could get the tank off easily when doing preventive maintenance. Also, based on all the discussion on the forum about the petcock, I became wary of the vacuum type and decided replacing it with the Raptor to be just another preventive maintenance task.

For what it is worth.

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 09:02:17