Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
quick flashing bulb signals (Read 103 times)
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
quick flashing bulb signals
10/10/10 at 22:25:53

riddle me this... this has been going on for a while but i never got around to posting. a few months ago i put on a rear light kit from BCB. the turn signals are bulb type and the tail/brake/license light is LED. For a few days the turn signals operated normally then they started blinking fast. At first they only blinked fast when the throttle was on. I have replaced the right bulb twice and right now it operates normal but the left blinks fast most of the time except at idle when it blinks slow and fast intermittently. Any ideas?
BTW, the front signals are stock

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: quick flashing bulb signals
Reply #1 - 10/11/10 at 11:12:45

The LEDs draw less power and fools the relay into thinking that a bulb is out which causes the fast blinking. There are many posts concerning this very problem. If I remember correctly, folks just swapped the relay and the problem was corrected. But I don't remember what they swapped it with.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/11/10 at 11:27:25

...an electric flasher, instead of the stock thermal type... You can get one at your local auto parts store... Bring your old one to match up connections...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #3 - 10/11/10 at 13:02:28

ok but only my tailight is LED, the signals are bulb type....same issue? i thought they were on a different circuit or something

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 10/11/10 at 13:14:54

have you checked all your connections, loose or shorted wires?  
been wet?  corrosion at bulb stems maybe?

intermittent problem sounds like wiring issue to me.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #5 - 10/11/10 at 13:38:25

I think the reason the problem is intermittent is because you've got half of the circuit on incandescents and half on LEDs.  The overall resistance of the circuit is right on the line..  the available voltage rises slightly when your engine is revved up, which lowers the current drawn by the flasher circuit, tripping it into fast blink.  I would guess it works fine when the engine isn't turning over at all (that is a good way to check this theory).

You need a flasher that blinks at the same rate regardless of current drawn.  The model LFS-1 here should do it, but check and make sure the Savage's flasher is the 2-wire kind.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #6 - 10/11/10 at 20:18:35

Boule’tard wrote on 10/11/10 at 13:38:25:
I think the reason the problem is intermittent is because you've got half of the circuit on incandescents and half on LEDs.  The overall resistance of the circuit is right on the line..  the available voltage rises slightly when your engine is revved up, which lowers the current drawn by the flasher circuit, tripping it into fast blink.  I would guess it works fine when the engine isn't turning over at all (that is a good way to check this theory).

You need a flasher that blinks at the same rate regardless of current drawn.  The model LFS-1 here should do it, but check and make sure the Savage's flasher is the 2-wire kind.

yeh i actually ordered that thing the other day and then thought wait...i dont have LED signals. i should get it here in a couple days so i'll give it a shot...thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:26:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › quick flashing bulb signals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.