Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finally laid it down today (Read 229 times)
B1-66er

I've been everything
you want to be.

Eastern Ohio
finally laid it down today
10/10/10 at 09:52:43

After a whopping three weeks of riding, it finally happened.

I was coming up to a stop sign and there was some gravel on the road. Front tire locked up and slid. When I put my feet down, the gravel made them slide and the bike went down on the right side. I stayed up, Haha. No damage, just had to adjust my mirror.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: finally laid it down today
Reply #1 - 10/10/10 at 10:10:48

Glad you learned that lesson w/o injury
beware of loose materials on hard pack.

next lesson coming up shortly... beware.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 10/10/10 at 10:18:48

If traction is at all compromised, the front brake is about as quick a way to get it on its side as any. Ive done it twice & watched my SIL do it on wet clay. I swear the thing accelerated when he hit the front brake..I guess what it did was stop slowing down, IDK, It sure was quick, tho,
32 feet / second is some acceleration. So, if we fall at a rate of acceleration that is 32'/sec/sec, doesnt that mean we fall 16 feet in the 1st second & at the end of that second, we are moving at 32'/second? So, at the end of the 2nd second, having started in at 32'/second, then during that second, wouldnt the faller fall another 48 feet? Being 1/2 way between the start velocity & end velocity of 64 '/sec?

I guess thats why I always thot stilts were cool, but not something Id mess with..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #3 - 10/10/10 at 10:43:41

Glad you were able to avoid injury to  yourself or your bike.
Now you know to watch for gravel and how easy it can topple you.
Their can be other substances that can be on the road as well as gravel that can make you slip and slide. Watch the road surface as well as where your placing your foot when stopping. Smiley kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 10/10/10 at 10:48:47

Yep, seriously, putting a foot down on loose or slick stuff can result in what I call " Power Splits", I cant actually DO the splits, unless something is applying power to drive me down. Power Splits are painful..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/10/10 at 14:49:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/10/10 at 10:18:48:
If traction is at all compromised, the front brake is about as quick a way to get it on its side as any. Ive done it twice & watched my SIL do it on wet clay. I swear the thing accelerated when he hit the front brake..I guess what it did was stop slowing down, IDK, It sure was quick, tho,
32 feet / second is some acceleration. So, if we fall at a rate of acceleration that is 32'/sec/sec, doesnt that mean we fall 16 feet in the 1st second & at the end of that second, we are moving at 32'/second? So, at the end of the 2nd second, having started in at 32'/second, then during that second, wouldnt the faller fall another 48 feet? Being 1/2 way between the start velocity & end velocity of 64 '/sec?

I guess thats why I always thot stilts were cool, but not something Id mess with..

We walked on stilts a lot when were kids,use to try to knot the other guy off of his.They were around 2 ft. off the ground.We didn't have cool games like the kids have now.But I do believe we had more fun.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #6 - 10/11/10 at 09:09:26

Sticking with my fighter pilot theme ... add to situational awareness - terrain following radar. You are not only completely conscious of all maneuvering and most cagers around you, but you are aware of the surface too. I'm talking about a nice, dewy morning and a railroad track at more than a 45-degree angle ... or nicely beading moisture on all those painted street lines, arrows etc ... or a steel mesh bridge deck ... or ground down and grooved road service under repair ... and then there's pine straw, sand, oil and you have just discovered gravel. These things can hurt you.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #7 - 10/11/10 at 09:20:35

...and with "fall" on the way be wary of those leaves. A few wet ones stacked on and around each other makes for very unstable ground.

Glad you only had the scare of laying her down...and at a stop.
In areas where there are no cars when you are riding normal run some scenarios in your head about "what if" and practice what u would do in those "what if" times.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 10/11/10 at 12:03:24

And one that I don't think you will hear alot of mention of....  fruit trees!  I passed an apple tree today, close to the road.  The cars and trucks had made alot of apple sauce, but didn't look too fun for the bike.  I will remember where that tree is next time I ride!!  Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 10/12/10 at 12:55:54

Good to hear the fall was an easy one. Watch out for uneven roads when you come to a stop too. If there is a hole or dip where you are going to put your foot, you will be leaning over more than you expect too. Haven't dropped it yet, but there has been a coulpe of Oh crap experiences.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #10 - 10/13/10 at 12:39:28

Rocket Scientist ?.......falling is falling does not really matter how fast - but how far is definitely a problem

Richard Petty once said when asked why he drove the high line at Talledega - "It dont hurt near as bad when you hit wall going 200mph from 1 foot away as it does if you come from the bottom groove"

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/13/10 at 15:26:42

weracerc wrote on 10/13/10 at 12:39:28:

Rocket Scientist ?.......falling is falling does not really matter how fast - but how far is definitely a problem

Richard Petty once said when asked why he drove the high line at Talledega - "It dont hurt near as bad when you hit wall going 200mph from 1 foot away as it does if you come from the bottom groove"

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to appreciate the laws of physics and the math involved.

How far you go before hitting determines how fast the impact will be.
If you're 6' tall and you meet up with GWB and while trading niceties you decide to take off your shoes and hold it up by your head, how fast will the shoe hit the ground assuming you were tazered and just let go of the shoe? 6' / 32' / sec squared = 0.4 seconds

In the example sited... petty driving at 200 mph 1' from the wall can't gather up any speed laterally when he's just 1' from the wall.  But if he's in the bottom groove he's got 4 lanes to cross before he gets wheeled out on a gurney.  Or assuming he didn't turn at all and hit the wall going 200 mph at a 45° angle... the impact is at 140 mph.  That will leave a mark.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 10/13/10 at 15:48:07

I laughed at my self the other day. You know how people on TV and cartoons always slip on banana peels. I was cruising in a 35mph zone the other day when I went around something in the road, like I always do. Sometimes I don't even look down. Yes, it was--a big ole banana peeling. Babyhog is right about watching for fruit. What's that old saying? "The bike doesn't fall far from the peel."? What would the insurance company say if you told them you slipped on a banana peel?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:14:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › finally laid it down today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.