Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Engine sputters and stalls when warm (Read 403 times)
savage_girl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine sputters and stalls when warm
10/09/10 at 13:59:25

Good afternoon,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about a problem I'm having with my Savage.  I bought a 1999 Suzuki Savage about three months ago.  It ran fine the first couple of weeks.  After that, it would start up fine, but once the engine got warmed up, it idles very rough and the engine dies unless the throttle is constantly forced.  It does not start back up right away after the engine stalls, usually I have to wait at least 15 to 20 minutes before it will start up again.

At first, I thought it was the carbs.  I'm not a mechanic, so I took the motorcycle to the Suzuki dealership. They took the carb off and told me that was fine, the problem was the aftermarket muffler that was installed on the bike.   He wanted me to spend 500 for a new stock muffler and he would put it on the bike.  I did not want to spend that much, so I ended up getting a muffler from a junkyard Savage.  It was a stock muffler and pipe, the only thing was that it was gutted.  He put it on and I took it home.  I'm still having the same problem, the mechanic told me to try adjusting the idle RPMs.  I did, still stalling after the engine warms up.  He still insists that the muffler is the problem, but I'm not sure if that is the problem.  Could that be the problem since it is gutted or should I check something else?  It only sputters and stalls once the engine is warm, runs like a charm when the engine is cold.  Please keep in mind, I'm a beginner motorcyclist and I'm not a mechanic.  My roommate is a bit more knowledgeable about motorcycles and can help but he is far from a mechanic himself.  

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer.  I just want to get my Savage running properly and ride it out on the road without worrying about having to push it home.  Thank you   Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Engine sputters and stalls when warm
Reply #1 - 10/09/10 at 14:21:11

Put the petcock on prime (cast in pointer arrow on the lever aimed at the word PRIME) tomorrow and leave it there all day and see if the symptoms "get better" as you ride around some.

If so (or if not) that is important information.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/09/10 at 16:54:30

Test your Petcock...

here's how...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/09/10 at 17:03:58

Just a little explanation 1st, putting the petcock to prime bypasses the on/off feature of the vacuum controlled petcock.  When you shut the bike off, also return the petcock to "on".  Leaving it in the "prime" setting can lead to overflow issues which you really don't want.

BTW, turning the petcock to prime is the 1st thing to do anytime it acts up (other than electrical issues).

How long are you letting it idle before it stalls out?
It been said that 15 minutes is way too long to sit idle and most only wait a couple of minutes before riding off, doing more or less a rolling warm up.

aftermarket vs. a gutted stock muff... as long as the carb was jetted for the aftermarket, it shouldn't be a problem.  Standard answer to anything not stock is... that's the problem.  So what "aftermarket" muff do you have?

Personally, I'd ride around locally and if you don't have a problem riding around, your problem is standing still.  So it's like when you go to the doc's and you say you get a pain if you stand on one leg... He'll say 'don't do that'.  So let me write you a prescription for seafoam and I'll send you a bill for my services   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 10/09/10 at 17:13:29

Hey girl, Welcome to the site. I would do as suggested, but I would also put a new vacuum hose complete with clamps and a new gas line complete with clamps. There are also two? little towers made of mesh inside your gas tank. It is not probable but certainly possible that these nylon screens could be clogged on a '99 bike. I am talking about a 30 min project for the experienced, or maybe an hour for others. Plus it's cheap. Sometimes a coil can break down when warm, but these bikes have far more petcock problems. Go to an auto parts store with the hoses and get the closest size. Good luck and happy riding.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
savage_girl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/09/10 at 19:43:36

Thank you so much for all the suggestions!  I'm going to try turning the petcock to "Prime" tomorrow and riding it around.  I'll let you know how it works out...

As for the muffler, I got the muffler and exhaust pipe from a junkyard Savage.  The pipe that was on there when I bought the bike was aftermarket.  Now, it has the muffler and exhaust from the junkyard Savage, which was stock for that bike, only the stock muffler was gutted.  

I really appreciate it, I'll let you all know what happens after I run it on "Prime" tomorrow.  Grin

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #6 - 10/09/10 at 19:57:19

If setting it on prime doesn't do it, you might want to check the tightness of the exhaust system, as the metal heats up it expands and things like the compression washer under the exhaust header might leak - or the pipe to muffler joint.  Welcome and enjoy the ride..and make the corrections one at a time so you'll know what it was; and please post the results.  It's gonna be another long winter. Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 10/10/10 at 10:46:49

If youre gonna stick new fuel hose in, why not put a little filter in at the same time?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
savage_girl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/12/10 at 18:58:30

Sweet!  When I set the petcock on prime, it works great!  Thank you so much!

So, in order to fix the issue, should I replace the petcock, the vacuum hose, and the gas line?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 10/12/10 at 19:13:46

Try the vacuum hose first,... It's the cheapest...
.. a buck or two at the auto parts store...
If that don't do it,... You need a petcock... $70.00 for factory stock, or $30.00 for a Raptor...

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 10/12/10 at 19:35:05

S Girl, A deteriorated hose can cause a clogging effect, or a pinhole can let air in the vacuum hose. Be patient and try the cheap, easy stuff first. Gas lines are usually taken for granted and not replaced very often. Again, patience is your friend. It lets you learn about your bike as you work slowly and carefully. We will be here tomorrow and the next day. As you work the systems out with the help of this forum, you give us a chance to help someone we will probably never meet. SOMEONE on here will eventually make a suggestion that works. And I guarantee it will be the last thing you check. Lots of experience on here. Let it work. Our rates are the lowest of any "shop".

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
savage_girl
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/20/10 at 11:02:35

Thank you so much for being so patient with me.  I've been to several auto parts stores... I've got the same size for the gas line, the vacuum hose is a different story.  I've got a hose that's the same size on the interior but the rubber is a bit thicker, which will mean that the spring cannot fit over the hose.  Will that work, or should I continue searching for the exact size for the vacuum hose?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/20/10 at 11:09:21

That'll work..

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/20/10 at 11:23:49

the spring's only there to reinforced a thin crappy quality stock hose. Ditch it.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 10/20/10 at 19:43:49

BurnPgh wrote on 10/20/10 at 11:23:49:
the spring's only there to reinforced a thin crappy quality stock hose. Ditch it.

I can't believe you said that! Now her Savage won't be stock without the spring thing. And you know what happens when you get away from stock---FUN!!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 19:55:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine sputters and stalls when warm

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.