Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I've got the 2006 S40 Stock Seat Back-Injury Blues (Read 212 times)
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
I've got the 2006 S40 Stock Seat Back-Injury Blues
10/08/10 at 11:30:07

Give or take, it's been three years since I've posted here.  The short-short version:

- Back injury. Not related to the bike, but I couldn't have kept riding even if the stock seat didn't hurt to sit on.
- Back surgery.  Fixed 2 discs in my lower back.  Took some time to recuperate.  
- Baby.  She's a delight.
- Blew up the bike.  That's a bit of an exaggeration, of course; it overheated, blew out the oil cap, and the sprayed oil caught fire.  No other damage, but after that I was afraid what the damage would be so didn't take it in.  I wish I had taken it in sooner... A carb cleaning and oil change later (and a replaced oil cap) it runs better than it did brand new and I'd like to start riding again.  

But that brings me back to that horrible stock seat.  I'm 6'0 and so it was bad before my back injury.  It's the #1 thing I want to do something about it before I begin riding again (#2 being learning how to do elementary repairs to the bike).

I've done a little research:

Corbin appears to make a really nice seat just for the S40.  Despite the price this appears to be the most attractive option... if it's going to be kind to my back and tailbone.  Anyone tall use one of these?

This guy did a simple, cheap, yet ugly mod that addresses the problem but appears to raise your center of gravity half a foot or more.

Then there's this guy who suggests that Harley Sportster seats fit the S40 with minimal modification and suggests that this is a good place to ask about how to go about doing it.  Smiley

Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: I've got the 2006 S40 Stock Seat Back-Injury B
Reply #1 - 10/08/10 at 12:15:10

Welcome back... (no pun intended)...

1. The Corbin looks nice, but it's hard a rock... to me anyway... some people like the firmness on their butt, but it can't be good on your back...

2. There are several different Sportster seats, and the only one I've ridden was not good,... some others may be better, but they aren't all the same...

3. I have a little back trouble myself, nothing as bad as yours, but... to my thinking, seat comfort is more for your butt than your back,...  if you really want back relief, go for taller rear shocks...
I have Suzuki Intruder 800 shocks on mine, and the ride is much smoother... They are quite soft and good for up to around 200lb rider... plus you can get them cheap... and an easy bolt on replacement...(stock is 10.5", Intruder is 12")...
If you are much heavier, you may have to go with aftermarket shocks like Progressives... They are quite pricey, but very good...
Stock Sporty shocks can be adapted with new bushings too... I think they tend to be 11.5" or 12"...
(the added swingarm height may require a little trimming at the front of the upper beltgaurd, but nothing dramatic)...

PS... there is also a front seat lift mod in the tech section if you have the solo/pillion type seat... I've done it and like it...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #2 - 10/08/10 at 12:42:31

Welcome back. Glad to hear your looking at riding again. Might want to think about the cruiser riding position as being part of the problem. Yes, the stock Savage seat bothers a lot of people, but probably a lot more ride without any modification. I think some people just have better spines.

The cruiser position basically just bounces you up and down at best and at worst crunches your tailbone without letting you used your whole body suspension (legs, arms, and spine) to absorb the shock, so the MC provides all of the suspension (and lets face it, small cruiser suspensions pretty much suck).

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 10/08/10 at 15:30:38

There is a Corbin saddle on eBay, $100 start plus $25 shipping, four days to end of auction.  Might be a deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170549520270&vi...

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 10/08/10 at 17:44:39

Let's see... I'm 6'2" 240ish...absolutely destroyed lumbar spine...

High bars, cut down HARD seat (3/4" ensolite padding), Intruder shocks. Works great.

Squishy seats aggravate spine issues.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 10/08/10 at 17:54:59

Once again, I tout the advantages of memory foam. It's relatively cheap compared to gel and new seats. And you can lay it on the seat and ride around looking stupid like I did. Then if you like it you can install it inside the seat. I have degenerative disc disease, and had lumbar surgery, but as you know, everyone is different. Hope you get some comfort.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 10/08/10 at 18:22:15

Degenerative disc and joint disease is why my 57 Panhead rigid with a springer is patio art. And why my speedster/tracker barred Honda is patio art (for the moment, need a canyon carver).

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
AndyC
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Norfolk, VA
Reply #7 - 10/09/10 at 11:03:09

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.

Serowbot wrote on 10/08/10 at 12:15:10:
1. The Corbin looks nice, but it's hard a rock... to me anyway... some people like the firmness on their butt, but it can't be good on your back...

WD wrote on 10/08/10 at 17:44:39:
Let's see... I'm 6'2" 240ish...absolutely destroyed lumbar spine...

High bars, cut down HARD seat (3/4" ensolite padding), Intruder shocks. Works great.

Squishy seats aggravate spine issues.

Smiley::hed asplodes::

I'm not sure which way to go here, but I'm leaning rather heavily towards the advice of my fellow back injury case.
Boofer wrote on 10/08/10 at 17:54:59:
I have degenerative disc disease...

Yup, me too.  It's one reason I'm looking for good options; they fixed my back, but I'd like it to stay that way. Smiley

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 10/09/10 at 11:49:55

Unless you had a fusion you will end up with ongoing issues. My first surgery the "repairs" lasted less than a year. The second surgery the results ended up the same, just took longer to be re-agravated.

I can't ride a stock seat anything anymore. Swap it out for a thin sprung solo or a hard mounted thin seat and I'm fine. As long as my butt stays higher than my knees I can drive alright. My bench seat pickup? No problems. My wife's 95 Outback? I carry a ball head cane with me...

You get used to it.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 10/09/10 at 17:43:45

I am not a doctor, and I didn't even play one on TV. All I can say is to repeat, "Everyone is different." I started with the memory foam from a Wal Mart mattress topper, because it was cheap and can be cut up to be used as great pillows. I also use a piece in my car seat. (No, I don't ride in one of those car seats.)  The 1 1/2' topper is about $30 in twin size. Might even find a scrap piece at local upholstery shop.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/10/10 at 08:50:14

Ive noticed that when the bag is loaded & kinda intruding into my space a bit, I use it as a backrest & it`really changes the comfort level. You might try trapping something on the seat, right where you need some low back support.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #11 - 10/10/10 at 17:25:20

I am six one and love my Corbin.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:24:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I've got the 2006 S40 Stock Seat Back-Injury Blues

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.