Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Information Requested from New Member (Read 501 times)
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Information Requested from New Member
Reply #15 - 10/08/10 at 08:30:08

You and I have a lot in common. I too have been riding for many years and have had many bikes. I too have a plastic pony (a scooter) but I also have my iron horse (S40), which is really more like a quarter horse today.

I bought my S40 just a few months ago because I consider it to be a great compromise bike. With thumper torque, it is a tiger in town, but it will also do the superslab. Now, as somebody said, it depends upon your experience and what you really WANT to do as to whether or not it is the best interstate transportation for you. The S40 is a light bike, the only kind I want to ride because a body in motion tends to stay in motion. So, I depend upon maneuverability to stay alive, and the S40 will out maneuver a Harley any day. The big scooters, like the Kymco 500ri and the Burgy 650, are built for interstate travel, heavy and solid in the lane (not twitchy) at 75 mph and very comfortable. In town, they lose that quickness advantage. I have done a lot of interstate travel (actually, on a Honda 400-4 when I was young and crazy). Today, I doubt my arse would appreciate traveling sun up to sun down at 70 mph on an S40. I would also have to contend with the buffeting a light bike takes. But a day trip is splenderifico!

I ride my scooter to work often (150 cc, water cooled Kymco - 80 miles per gallon). But when I want joy, I throw the leg over little Suzy.

The Kawa Ka Ka Vulcan 500 is a twin, believe it may be water cooled, but it is 75-100 pounds heavier than the S40. It's a good choice, if your main idea is interstate on the motorcycle and in town on the scooter. I can do a little of both on the S40.

IP Logged
ut1205
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 10/08/10 at 13:53:28

Thanks for the reply J2.  This is my first scooter and I don't know how I got along without it.  Lightweight and nimble (you can almost do a u-turn in one parking space).  With the underseat storage and the clone 40 something liter GIVI top case I can carry 4-5 bags of groceries.  Try carrying a large pizza, a dozen eggs, and a 12 pack of your favorite beverage on a motorcycle.  Might get them home but not in good condition.

With that said I see the scoot as more of a truck.  Not the fastest or best looking but it does a great job for what it was designed to do.  Now I need the bike that will just take me anywhere I want to go.
Maybe the Savage will do that.  I just need to find one I can ride.

BTW, the Kymco is a real quality scooter.  Kymco and SYM are the only two that I am aware of that gives a two year parts and labor warranty on their bikes.  I've had mine about 3 months and am approaching 2000 miles and have not had any problems.  I heard yesterday that due to a "lack of business" my dealer is closing the end of October.  I don't know what I will do about warranty should the need come up.  Should have bought a Kymco!

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #17 - 10/08/10 at 23:26:01

ut1205 wrote on 10/08/10 at 13:53:28:
Thanks for the reply J2.  This is my first scooter and I don't know how I got along without it.  Lightweight and nimble (you can almost do a u-turn in one parking space).  With the underseat storage and the clone 40 something liter GIVI top case I can carry 4-5 bags of groceries.  Try carrying a large pizza, a dozen eggs, and a 12 pack of your favorite beverage on a motorcycle.  Might get them home but not in good condition.

With that said I see the scoot as more of a truck.  Not the fastest or best looking but it does a great job for what it was designed to do.  Now I need the bike that will just take me anywhere I want to go.

BTW, the Kymco is a real quality scooter.  Kymco and SYM are the only two that I am aware of that gives a two year parts and labor warranty on their bikes.  I've had mine about 3 months and am approaching 2000 miles and have not had any problems.  I heard yesterday that due to a "lack of business" my dealer is closing the end of October.  I don't know what I will do about warranty should the need come up.  Should have bought a Kymco!

If its of any help, Im 6'2 an aint skinny... I ride 52 miles to work rain / shine... has never Never let me down so while i do agree to find one to ride... Believe that this platform is quite capable of doing 70+ all day long... Now do i wanna more comfy seat like on my 800+ lbs of v4 anger? Yep... would i trade this lil thump ? Nope... put 10k on her the first yr... so i think reliability and ease of maint has to come into play ... but yep ride one then come back here an ask what Oil you should use...   Grin Grin Grin

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #18 - 10/08/10 at 23:57:09

NO!!!NO!!!! Don't even say the "O"word   Grin   Keep this to yourself but today someone actually asked about....( I've got to be strong here, give me a second)...someone asked about tires! I left that thread faster then you can say Bridgestone  Wink

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #19 - 10/09/10 at 03:56:02

In the mid 1960's I was in the USAF and the only means of transportation I could afford was a Honda 150cc Benly touring model. I rode that bike from Topeka Kansas to Chicago Illinois (home town) many many times.

Then after being reassigned to Taiwan China for a year, and then returning to McGuire AFB New Jersey, I rode that 150cc bike back and fourth from Chicago to NJ on many more occations, (traveling for the most part in the wind shadow of big-rig semi's).

...anyway I'm now 65 years old and in comparison, to my mind the 650 cc s-40 is a comfortable and solid ride on any road at legal speed in the USA.

But the best fun that I have ever had, is riding on the back roads here in Michigan. Being retired from the US Government after 43 years of service, I can now ride at my leasure where I want, and when I want, at whatever speed I want....It doesn't get any better than this. Cool  

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #20 - 10/09/10 at 06:12:28

Nothing wrong with having a Savage/S40 and a scooter, I do. Depending on my mood and on how I'm feeling on which one I ride for the day. Sometimes its nice to hop on the S40 and have fun yet its nice to be able to go grocery shopping on the Burgman too. I love the looks on peoples faces when I push a loaded shopping cart up to it. Grin

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
cornfuzed

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

grinnin from coast to coast
Reply #21 - 10/09/10 at 22:41:39

Lupo wrote on 10/08/10 at 23:57:09:
NO!!!NO!!!! Don't even say the "O"word   Grin   Keep this to yourself but today someone actually asked about....( I've got to be strong here, give me a second)...someone asked about tires! I left that thread faster then you can say Bridgestone  Wink

Grin Grin Grin
yer killin me!!!
Grin Grin Grin
Any who dude, trust us... you might get bigger, i and others here have em... but theres just something about these animals you wont be able to shake once you ride it like you stole it and yes if you listen to others here WAAAY smarter than me, youll be able to run at speeds all day long and have a blast doing it...
Cool
Versys
Ol Feller
Denmin
many many are happy to help...

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick
2008 S40
1996 Royal Star
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #22 - 10/11/10 at 10:06:08

ut1205 wrote on 10/08/10 at 13:53:28:

I had a Honda 80cc for 20 years, and it is still running ... somewhere on the NC coast. Bought it for my daughter to take to college. I rode the Kymco BW 150 for four years and 14K miles before I had to do a belt job ... screwed that up and had to have a real mechanic machine the splines and threads on the crank shaft. Now, I think the plastic pony may have a vacuum leak (surging idle), but it still runs great. Kymco dealerships around here are scum. I told Kymco I might have purchased their 500ri if it were not for their lousy dealer chain.

Obviously, I choose my rides to ride, not spend hours wondering where I took that screw out from. The Suzi S40 seems like it is going to fill that bill.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #23 - 10/11/10 at 10:18:25

Starlifter wrote on 10/09/10 at 03:56:02:
In the mid 1960's I was in the USAF and the only means of transportation I could afford was a Honda 150cc Benly touring model. I rode that bike from Topeka Kansas to Chicago Illinois (home town) many many times.

Then after being reassigned to Taiwan China for a year, and then returning to McGuire AFB New Jersey, I rode that 150cc bike back and fourth from Chicago to NJ on many more occations, (traveling for the most part in the wind shadow of big-rig semi's).

...anyway I'm now 65 years old and in comparison, to my mind the 650 cc s-40 is a comfortable and solid ride on any road at legal speed in the USA.

But the best fun that I have ever had, is riding on the back roads here in Michigan. Being retired from the US Government after 43 years of service, I can now ride at my leasure where I want, and when I want, at whatever speed I want....It doesn't get any better than this. Cool  

Had a Honda 50 in about '65 (at college). Had a Honda 100 ... Left Jackson, Miss and rode all over the Mississippi/Alabama gold coast on a Honda 305 Super Hawk (vibrated fillings out of my teeth). Had a Ducati 160. Had a Honda 350, a Honda 450 and finally a Honda 400-4 ... four perfectly balanced 100cc jugs. Rode that all over Illinois, Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, Minnesota and Eastern North Dakota. Smooooth.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #24 - 10/11/10 at 10:47:06

Having ridden both a Savage and a Vulcan 500, I can say that my wife's Vulcan will run at 75-80 mph, my stock Savage would not. My definition of running is getting up to that speed in a reasonable distance and still having more hp (5-10 mph at least) to pass a semi and push through a headwind. WOT is not what I want to be doing going down the interstate, merging or anything else. If I'm merging and the guy behind me speeds up, I want to be able to roll on the throttle and forget about him. Enough HP at interstate speeds is one of the reasons I don't ride a Savage currently. If the fastest I ever wanted to cruise at was 60 mph maybe I would still be riding one.

FWIW I ride a liter ST - Concours. For probably 95% of the riding that I do I would prefer a smaller MC, and if my wife's MC was a standard or sportier riding position, there would be a lot of days when I would leave the Concours behind, but as it shook out, there were very few days in a year when I chose the Savage over the Concours. So I sold my Savage. I do sometimes grab my wife's Vulcan if I'm not leaving town.

IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #25 - 10/11/10 at 12:04:49

For what it's worth ... I definitely prefer to cruise at 60-65. I am there to enjoy the ride, not sit tense, hanging on for dear life, watching for that road gator to send me off into oblivion. So, the S40 is a good bike for me, both in town and doing the little bit of highway I do.

Smell the roses, man ... don't flame through the garden!

IP Logged
ut1205
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 10/11/10 at 14:31:36

I agree with both of you.  My preference would be to ride 55-60 mph (in a 55 speed limit) and see the sights and smell the smells.  Hanging on at WOT is not a fun ride.
On the other hand, if I have to run 70 to keep up with traffic, I want that extra 10 mph if I need it.

Great replies!! Smiley

IP Logged
JimRR
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 10/15/10 at 12:33:52

The two biggest changes we made to our Savages to make them freeway friendly were to install a National Cycle Plexifairing III windshield and to mount Metzler ME880 Marathon tires. That changed the whole bike. I'm 240 lbs. and travel 75mph all day long with enough left to pass. You will have to plan your passes accordingly at speeds greater than that. The bike is stock except for the above mentioned stuff and a set of Willie& Max small saddle bags and OEM saddle bag bars. The rear shocks are adjustable and can be adjusted for a little softer ride. We use the bike to commute with and it gets about 60 mpg. We think the Savage is a really awesome commuter/entry level motorcycle and love to run errands with it, but would not ride it across the country. The maintenance is very easy, all that  is needed is a basic set of hand tools and a volt/multi-meter. Having a good maintenance manual and the complete factory tool kit would be a big bonus because you can do quite a bit of service with just those items.  Regards, Jim.  

IP Logged
ut1205
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 10/15/10 at 13:04:26

Thanks for all the great replies.  I spent some time looking at "old" threads an there seems to be a recurring issue with backfireing.  Doesn't seem to matter what year model.  Has this issue ever been solved?  I know that this can't be good on the exhaust system.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #29 - 10/15/10 at 13:14:19

ut1205 wrote on 10/15/10 at 13:04:26:
Thanks for all the great replies.  I spent some time looking at "old" threads an there seems to be a recurring issue with backfireing.  Doesn't seem to matter what year model.  Has this issue ever been solved?  I know that this can't be good on the exhaust system.

You are going to get all kinds of answers and recommendations. FWIW, after tuning my stock 2004, I never had an issue with backfiring. In fact, I would really have to work at it to even get a pop. Pops are to a certain extent the nature of the beast - a thumper, but with proper tuning, (not rejetting, new exhaust, etc.) it was not an issue on my Savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:19:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Information Requested from New Member

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.