First start of the day (Read 303 times)
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: First start of the day
Reply #15 - 10/08/10 at 15:49:32

ralfyguy wrote on 10/08/10 at 04:45:43:
Mine is a whitish-blue smoke and it does smell like burnt oil a little. She does that now since over two years/10.000 miles. She didn't do it all summer now, just ever since it got cooler a week ago again.  Could it be a drop or two from the breather tube getting sucked into the carb?

What is probably happening is the cooler nights you are experiencing is shrinking the valve stem seals allowing a very miner gap between the seals and stems. But once it warms up the seals expand and seals it back up. This is nothing to worry about and nothing that can be "fixed" as it is merely high school science.

This is merely my opinion however but it does seem to fit the facts you stated.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #16 - 10/11/10 at 09:17:57

grandpa wrote on 10/08/10 at 01:42:59:
I had a little oil smoke on start up a while back. I had just changed oil and had tried a different oil. Can't remember which brand now so I won't get the oil thread going again. Went back to Castrol and Valvoline bike oil and it went away. I run 20-50 year round and have almost 18,000 miles on 'suzi. No morning fog and no oil burn between changes. The air cooled bikes are a lilltle looser on tolerances when cold. Once warmed up, everything tightens up. I think if you change oil and stay with a known good oil for the bike, your morning fog wil go away. I would't worry about it at all at this point.

Well the smoke was bothering me enough to swap it out and see if that made a difference, a bit of OCD on my part... Had to change the oil on my girlfriends bike anyway. Picked up some Castrol motorcycle oil 20w50 and the smoke is gone!  Wink Maybe my suzi is a bit to "loose" for regular lube.. Roll Eyes

Darren
IN-S40

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/11/10 at 09:25:41

I went back and checked your post it was Rotella Oil you put in,And it smoked !! Shocked

« Last Edit: 10/11/10 at 15:19:10 by bill67 »  

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #18 - 10/11/10 at 15:17:20

Where is the #2 and #3 oil man when you need them Huh

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #19 - 10/11/10 at 17:32:06

I'm sure the Castrol I used for a year did a great job. It was synthetic, I think. Acteveo. I have used Castrol or Valvoline in everything I owned for the past 40 years. But I know some of you have mentioned taking a quart with you for the superslab day runs. I had the same problem until I went with Rotella. It hardly uses any between changes. I am glad that people on here want to pamper their bikes. I know people who never check the oil in their cars and never check the pressure in their tires. Whatever you use suits me fine. I have a book on the DC-3 airplane, know as the C-47 in WWII. According to the author a DC-3 was hit in one engine and lost all the oil. After a forced landing on a friendly island, the only oil they could find was in their cargo. It was cooking oil. They filled it up and flew to another base. I can't prove it. But motorcycle people do some strange stuff to get home after a breakdown. Right?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 10/12/10 at 07:00:47

Smoke ? Thats not on my checklist,....never looked for smoke.
I start it, then get it on the hind wheel Roll Eyes and never look back Grin
I ain't got time for smoke !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:25:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First start of the day

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.