Send Topic Print
crashed yesterday (Read 697 times)
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: crashed yesterday
Reply #15 - 10/05/10 at 03:25:19

Sorry to hear of your and your hubby's accident. I send best wishes for yourselves as well as your bikes to mend quickly.
You've had your down and hopefully it never happens again. It comes with lessons and I sincerly am thankful your injuries were not worse. Big hugs to you...kim

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/05/10 at 05:20:48

Ive hit 3 cars with bicycles & totalled 3 motorcycles, so I have at least some understanding of how you feel when you say "I crashed". I always replay every crash, over & over in my head till I can see where I played into it & what should I do in the future. It sounds to me like you may have been a little too relaxed & following too close. I dont like riding with others, because its hard to know what thetre gonna do. Get some distance between me & whoever Im with & Im okay, but I need like 1/2 a block. Im GOING where Im Going & well meet there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #17 - 10/05/10 at 05:28:54

Fuschia, since a few have posted about not riding with others, I just thought that I would add that I prefer to ride with my husband and/or son.  I ride by myself alot, but I think riding with someone on a regular basis gives you an understanding of what they are going to do, etc.  Plus it gives you someone there for assistance...  Experience is a big key, and now you've had a bad experience.  Luckily, it could have been worse, so we learn from our mistakes.  I bet your body is sore now, so take care, and heal up!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 10/05/10 at 05:57:06

Ill ride "with" others, just not in close formation. Everyone knows where we're going & gets there. If someone wants to take a different route, okay. If we wind up side by side at a light, thats cool, but while Im rolling down the road, gimme the room I need to not need to be watching your every move.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/05/10 at 08:53:16

I thank you all for the well wishes. I do take blame for my accident
although I don't feel I was tailgating. I was about two car lengths behind my son. I think I got a little too relaxed and let my guard down and I definitely know now that I need a lot more practice on the panic stops.
It's going to cost $1000.00 to get hubby's bike going again and we're still trying to find out how much for my bike. Hubby's been great about it all
but doesn't want any more of my "love taps"!   Grin  thank you all again for the moral support

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #20 - 10/05/10 at 10:47:37

Just for general information at 40 mph:
2 seconds = 117 ft or approximately 8 car lengths
3 seconds = 176 ft or approximately 12 car lengths
recommended following distances are 2 to 4 seconds depending on who you listen to.

Human responses to stimuli (the time that it takes your brain to get input) is around .2 seconds.
Humans applying the brakes after seeing a light turn red or reacting to a video tape takes about 1/2 second .
Note that these are times when people aren't doing anything but waiting for a stimulus and reacting as fast a possible. At 40 mph this is going to mean about 4 car lengths for a rider to begin applying the brakes if they have their hand on the lever just waiting for something to happen up ahead so that they could immediately apply the brakes.

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #21 - 10/06/10 at 01:17:14

Glad to hear everyone came through it ok.  Here's to a speedy recovery! Wink

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 10/06/10 at 20:58:07

went to the dr's today and saw the xrays for the first time. looks like i broke the collar bone pretty good.i'm scheduled to have surgery this friday morning.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 10/06/10 at 22:07:27

Gathering my best wishes to throw your way on Friday...

Be well...
Serow... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #24 - 10/06/10 at 22:12:08

Best wishes to you as you go thru surgery and start the healing process. I have some extra pain pills in case you need them.. Hugs.. Kim Smiley

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 10/07/10 at 05:43:56

Awww Fuschia, that sucks...  but do as the doctors tell you and you will be fine.  Best wishes!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #26 - 10/07/10 at 08:31:31

Here's to a speedy recovery.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #27 - 10/07/10 at 11:38:50

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to you and yours.

Regardless of how it happened, a lesson learned, and you still want to get back on the iron horse....live to ride!

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #28 - 10/08/10 at 07:52:59

At the risk of stating the obvious, it is all about interval. And you should throw in a little "situational awareness" too ... like they teach fighter pilots. Motorcycles are not too far removed from fighter aircraft. They depend upon their maneuverability. Here is a situation that few think about:
You are standing still at a stoplight in a line of cars. Nobody seems to maintain their interval there. Everybody lines up nearly bumper-to-bumper at a stoplight. The last accident I experienced was generated by this circumstance. As the line of vehicles started to pull away, one driver (a young kid) suddenly got spooked and slammed on his brakes. We were all accelerating from a standing stop, so I had a fraction of a second before eating his bumper. I wasn't going very fast, but I took a spill, a little road rash, but I broke the fender on my plastic pony (a 150cc scooter). It was the cager behind me that got my attention, but he was good. He managed to avoid my overturned scooter without hitting the car in the adjacent lane. I heard his tires squeal as I was rolling off the road for the ditch.

Another thing about interval. I maintain it and some jerk will often pass me and put his fat butt right into that reaction space between me and the car ahead. So, I have found that I either have to maintain less than a car length in interval to keep the jerks out or just back off more when some A Hole pulls into it.

And about situational awareness ... I have been riding since 1965. I have had 5 accidents ... lets call them negative experiences, as in Rubber Side Up. I walked away from all of them because I saw the situation developing and was able to mitigate the impact ... either slow down and slide or head for the boonies and leave the bike altogether.

Of course, my number could come up any time. If some cager pulls out right in front of me or makes a left turn right across my path, and I'm doing even moderate speed ... I am probably going to die. When someone asks me whether I would recommend they take up two wheels, I tell them that they should consider this. When I had young children who needed a dad to be around, I did not ride.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #29 - 10/08/10 at 08:08:23

J2 wrote on 10/08/10 at 07:52:59:
When someone asks me whether I would recommend they take up two wheels, I tell them that they should consider this. When I had young children who needed a dad to be around, I did not ride.

I fit this situation exactly with 5 kids ranging from 19months to 12yrs and they all "need" me around, but I ride when I get a chance. Granted I don't put on the thousands of miles that many other riders do, in fact I've had my bike only a little over 1 yr and have only put on a little over 1,000 miles in that time. But I ride every chance I can given my circumstances.  Smiley

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:36:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › crashed yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.