Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
crashed yesterday (Read 697 times)
Fuschia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

crashed yesterday
10/04/10 at 09:47:05

yesterday while out riding with my husband and son,we were on a nice straight road cruising around 40 mph behind about 4 cars.For some reason i don't know the first car slammed on their brakes and caused a chain reaction.Everybody stopped ok but me. My son was in front of me and managed to clip my husband's left turn signal but he stayed upright while i locked up my back brake and probably my front as well but hubby's rear end was getting closer and closer.I tried to steer away from him and the next thing i know i'm rolling across the street and hubby's in a ditch. I broke my collar bone and sprained my neck but otherwise ok but i really did a number to our poor bikes. Hubby says the bikes can be fixed and that they're not too bad but they look pretty bad to me.I guess i'll be off the bike for a while but can't wait to get them fixed again.  :'(

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Re: crashed yesterday
Reply #1 - 10/04/10 at 10:09:09

It's lesson-for-all-of-us time. I make these comments in all sincerity and not to be a jerk.

If you cannot avoid a collision with a vehicle in front on you, you were 'tailgating' and the collision was your fault. It was not the fault of the guy in front of you who stopped quickly. This person may have had a good reason to do so (avoiding a animal in the road, for example).

Minimum you should have is a two-second gap between you and the next thing ahead of you. Better is a 3 or 4 second gap. I'm getting older and my reaction time is not what it used to be. I go for 3 or 4 second gap.

Also, riding in a group of bikes takes training and is something I prefer not to do for the very reason that you provided. I used to race bicycles. Unless the group is well disciplined and used to the behavior of others, crashes result.

I do hope everyone heals well. Damage to the bikes can be fixed (that's only money).

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/04/10 at 10:11:41

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your news.  Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery and I hope you are able to ride again soon.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #3 - 10/04/10 at 10:27:23

Glad you came out as well as you did. Personally don't like riding in a group. Much rather go my own way, "ride your own ride". Heal quickly.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #4 - 10/04/10 at 11:47:03

Here's hoping you heal OK.

I'm guessing you fell victim to the brakes "coming your way." This happens a lot on multilane roads that are over capacity. But it can happen anytime when people are following too close with multiple vehicles. When something happens up ahead, people brake, people behind see them brake and they brake (people scanning ahead add to this phenomena) and so on. Thus you are not just approaching whatever happened ahead at your groundspeed, it is approaching you at some speed (sometimes several times the speed of traffic flow). The closure rate is the sum of these two. Which means you have to have extra room to stop.

It's been said before, practice, practice, practice. Rapid stops, swerving, etc. etc. You're gonna do what you practice. Even visualization helps. It will give you your best chance of avoiding crashing and possible injury.

IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/04/10 at 12:45:18

BuckRYCA wrote on 10/04/10 at 10:09:09:
It's lesson-for-all-of-us time. I make these comments in all sincerity and not to be a jerk.

If you cannot avoid a collision with a vehicle in front on you, you were 'tailgating' and the collision was your fault.It was not the fault of the guy in front of you who stopped quickly. This person may have had a good reason to do so (avoiding a animal in the road, for example).

Minimum you should have is a two-second gap between you and the next thing ahead of you. Better is a 3 or 4 second gap. I'm getting older and my reaction time is not what it used to be. I go for 3 or 4 second gap.

Also, riding in a group of bikes takes training and is something I prefer not to do for the very reason that you provided. I used to race bicycles. Unless the group is well disciplined and used to the behavior of others, crashes result.

I do hope everyone heals well. Damage to the bikes can be fixed (that's only money).

I agree with everything you said except for the animal bit ... Smaller than a dog I won't even try to avoid it .... Many people die trying to avoid animals that wouldn't have even changed their trajectory.

One thing I will add is also "Always have a way out",   Like what was said visualize crash scenarios in your head and make sure you have an escape route.

Heal up and you'll be back in the saddle in no time :thumb

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/04/10 at 14:00:31

Fuschia wrote on 10/04/10 at 09:47:05:
yesterday while out riding with my husband and son,we were on a nice straight road cruising around 40 mph behind about 4 cars.For some reason i don't know the first car slammed on their brakes and caused a chain reaction.Everybody stopped ok but me. My son was in front of me and managed to clip my husband's left turn signal but he stayed upright while i locked up my back brake and probably my front as well but hubby's rear end was getting closer and closer.I tried to steer away from him and the next thing i know i'm rolling across the street and hubby's in a ditch. I broke my collar bone and sprained my neck but otherwise ok but i really did a number to our poor bikes. Hubby says the bikes can be fixed and that they're not too bad but they look pretty bad to me.I guess i'll be off the bike for a while but can't wait to get them fixed again.  :'(

So sorry to hear of your crash, stay positive like you are and heal quickly.

Can we send electronic signatures for your cast or bandages or even for your bikes ?

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 10/04/10 at 14:01:16

jsarsfield wrote on 10/04/10 at 12:45:18:
I agree with everything you said except for the animal bit ... Smaller than a dog I won't even try to avoid it .... Many people die trying to avoid animals that wouldn't have even changed their trajectory.

I don't know. I'm a firm believer in practicing what you want your reactions to be. I know a lot of people advocate aiming for center of mass on animals smaller than you.
I think that if you force your brain to make a decision (is it too big to ride through or not?) you are just slowing yourself down and you are putting yourself at potential risk - how do you know that you aren't going to get knocked over. I personally know someone that was knocked down by a chunk of gravel on the road, a deer, a dog, etc.  If you always decide that you are going to run over everything that gets in your way, you're going to lose. So personally, I've made the advance decision to steer around things when possible, when I have to react to a situation where I can't steer around, I slow down as fast as possible, and I practice these things. I did recently find out that if I am slowing down, I can still look for opening to steer through.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 10/04/10 at 14:08:40

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...
Serowbot  Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
dvansyck
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/04/10 at 16:51:03

Heal quickly and get back up when you can!!

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #10 - 10/04/10 at 17:58:28

"I agree with everything you said except for the animal bit ... Smaller than a dog I won't even try to avoid it .... Many people die trying to avoid animals that wouldn't have even changed their trajectory."

BY SLAMMING ON THEIR BRAKES. Regardless if a person breaks hard for a deer or a mouse, if you hit them from behind you are tailgating and it's your fault.

If someone is following you so close that they will hit you if you stop fast, pull over and let the idiot pass.

If traffic is bumper to bumper (and not safe) exit and find a secondary road to travel even if it takes longer.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 10/04/10 at 18:41:51

When your going down a road in a car or motorcycle you can be at least 50 yards behind the cars in front of you, Theirs no reason to be closer. So really your husband was to close to the cars. You can slow down so that there is a distant between you and the cars.If another car passes you and gets in between you slow down some more.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 10/04/10 at 18:47:48

In Wisconsin you can do that,..
...in Tucson, you'll end up going backwards...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 10/04/10 at 18:52:20

Tucson driving must be like driving in Asia or India Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #14 - 10/04/10 at 21:10:18

Crash Sad That's the ugly side of what we love. You never really know when the magic carpet is going to get ripped from underneath you. Best wishes on your speedy recovery.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 23:31:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › crashed yesterday

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.