Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
white smoke from engine?? (Read 148 times)
rkamp99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

white smoke from engine??
10/03/10 at 20:09:48

Hey guys! I just got my first Savage ('99) this weekend from a Suzuki dealer. Love it, but after riding around, realized that once the engine heats up, it emits really wispy white smoke, straight from the block. Anyone had this issue? It has super low mileage (~7,000 mi) given the age, so obviously was sitting for a while. Could this be just gunk burning off? Nothing's coming from the exhaust, just the engine itself, and it runs pretty well, maybe some rattling and backfiring, but figured that was an age thing...Thanks for any ideas! Will contact the dealer (they're closed on Sundays), but thought I'd try here too...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: white smoke from engine??
Reply #1 - 10/03/10 at 20:30:17

Most likely just water, could be oil being burnt off too.

where does it come from?

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 10/03/10 at 20:31:05

White smoke indicates water,... or blueish/white, oil...

If it seems to be just a little from the outside, it may just burn off..
But,...
Check your oil level,... and see if you can see in the site glass...
golden oil is fresh and good,... black, has been hot for some time and may need replaced,.. if it looks milky, or like opaque caramel, it has water in it, possibly from condensation built up while sitting too long, that definitely needs replaced ...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #3 - 10/03/10 at 22:14:03

I'm guessing the dealer hit the block with some heat paint to fresh it up. Your curing it and if that is the case (pun) it should stop after a few runs.

IP Logged
rkamp99
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/04/10 at 08:58:22

Thanks for the tips! I took a look at the oil just to see the level, and it was fine, but I'll take a closer look for color and consistency. I think the dealer did a tune-up when they got it, so I assumed they would have checked the oil, but who knows? It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from on the engine since it's pretty wispy (dissipates quickly). I've only ridden it twice now, so it sounds like maybe it'll still stop on its own?

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #5 - 10/04/10 at 18:13:06

Bet the dealer spilled a little oil on the exhaust pipe under filter housing and the smoke was it burning off. I do it every time I change the oil on my bike. Angry

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 10/05/10 at 03:03:26

Ed L. wrote on 10/04/10 at 18:13:06:
Bet the dealer spilled a little oil on the exhaust pipe under filter housing and the smoke was it burning off. I do it every time I change the oil on my bike. Angry

Somebody on here, I can't remember who, suggested putting a piece of Aluminium foil on the pipe before you take the oil filter cover off.  I tried that last time and it worked pretty good.  It does not take a big piece.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 04:16:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white smoke from engine??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.