babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Rear Brakes
Reply #15 - 10/06/10 at 19:41:28

Ok, so I was looking at the adjustment nut, and now I'm more perplexed.  Before I go pulling the rear tire, does anybody have any guesses as to what I'll find??  And I can see the brake-wear gage, but what part of the arm is supposed to be between the end marks?    

The '87 model:

My '06 model:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 10/06/10 at 19:50:57

Well, one thing is clear. The nut is at the END of the adjustment on the 87. Its time to go in there & have a look. Since the shoes only spread from one end, right? Weell, IF they only spread at 1 end, then is it possible to rotate the shoes & go some more? Ive forgotten how it works in there.

Anyway, its time to do something.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #17 - 10/06/10 at 19:52:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/06/10 at 19:08:02:
Ever notice no one has started selling brake pads with a pic of
Fred Flintstone throwing dirt up with his feet on the front of the package?

JOG, The Flintstones turned 50 last week. A lot of the people on here may not have ever seen them. Yabba Dabba Dooooo

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #18 - 10/06/10 at 20:03:22

Well, duh.  I know its time to do "something" since we have no stoppage when the rear brake pedal is applied.  But I do appreciate the help... really.  

When we took the hub off the '86 parts bike, the shoes are obviously good, I'm just hating the thought of taking that rear wheel off.  Was hoping for an adjustment when I learned that rear brakes last so long.  Oh well, guess I gotta do what I gotta do...

Ha!  The Flinstones are older than me!!!  But I love Barney.   Wink  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #19 - 10/07/10 at 03:35:31

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/06/10 at 19:08:02:
Ever notice no one has started selling brake pads with a pic of
Fred Flintstone throwing dirt up with his feet on the front of the package?

I'm on my 3rd set of motorcycle boot soles, and on still my 1st set of rear brake shoes.  I'm just saying..
(But I have gone through a LOT of front brake pads!)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #20 - 10/08/10 at 07:24:00

Yep I bought mine from ATV Brakes n' More... here's the link...
http://atvbrakesnmore.ecrater.com/p/4087060/suzuki-brakes-86-88-95-04-ls-650-...
I've been very happy with them. The rear was super noisy when I bought the bike so I figured I'd swap them out since I was doing the front pads anyway. They don't make any noise at all now.
There was a TON of old brake dust in the drum so I blew that out and I think the old rear pads were just plain hardened (they were glazed).

I set the adjustment arm to the line up with the first scribe mark but it was forward of that when I took it off. Right now my brakes will lock up if I stomp it but I think I'm going to adjust the arm forward some to make them a little more sensitive. The adjustment nut is just about maxed forward as it is now...
Hope that helps,

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #21 - 10/08/10 at 07:31:07

Thanks Bubba.  

I still don't know what is supposed to line up between the marks on the hub??  The "space" on the arm (the joint that the screw on the end closes up), or one of the corners of the arm????  Because that space is way forward on the marks on mine (the '06), but my brakes work perfectly!  I would not want to change anything.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #22 - 10/08/10 at 07:44:32

Beats me...on my '06 the "space" was set up forward of the scribe marks. I set the "space" to line up with the forward scribe when I did my brakes but I've looked at a couple of savages since then and they appear to be lined up forward of that, I'll probably go back to forward again just so I have some adjustment to work with on the cable nut.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #23 - 10/08/10 at 16:18:02

On my '07 there is a line on the hub that the arm clamps on. I believe that it's this line that's intended to be between the marks on the hub.

Moving the arm a few splines just changes your leverage.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #24 - 10/08/10 at 16:47:24

babyhog wrote on 10/08/10 at 07:31:07:
Thanks Bubba.  

I still don't know what is supposed to line up between the marks on the hub??  The "space" on the arm (the joint that the screw on the end closes up), or one of the corners of the arm????  Because that space is way forward on the marks on mine (the '06), but my brakes work perfectly!  I would not want to change anything.

babyhog, You are right on what lines up between the marks. It is the space the bolt closes up. Imagine a line at 90 degrees to the bolt that holds the lever in place on the hub. This line will also extend, in your mind, down the brake lever itself. When you put the new brakes on, just line up the imaginary line down the center of the brake arm with the mark toward the front of the bike. Of course you will allow for a little freeplay. As the linings wear down, the imaginary line will move rearward through the space between the marks.  You can adjust the nut on the brake linkage to whatever firmness you need, but it does not change the wear marks or how much lining you have. I have a headache. I need to take some Tylenol and lie down, now. Boofer

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #25 - 10/08/10 at 18:46:52

Boofer wrote on 10/08/10 at 16:47:24:
babyhog wrote on 10/08/10 at 07:31:07:
Thanks Bubba.  

babyhog, You are right on what lines up between the marks. It is the space the bolt closes up. Imagine a line at 90 degrees to the bolt that holds the lever in place on the hub. This line will also extend, in your mind, down the brake lever itself. When you put the new brakes on, just line up the imaginary line down the center of the brake arm with the mark toward the front of the bike. Of course you will allow for a little freeplay. As the linings wear down, the imaginary line will move rearward through the space between the marks.  You can adjust the nut on the brake linkage to whatever firmness you need, but it does not change the wear marks or how much lining you have. I have a headache. I need to take some Tylenol and lie down, now. Boofer

Perfect.  Thanks Boof.  Hope your head feels better.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/08/10 at 19:06:41

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

Go relax, take in a little oil war  ....  

de-stress yourself !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 10/09/10 at 16:53:25

I'm all better now. I just realized that thinking is not for the inexperienced.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #28 - 10/10/10 at 16:02:15

Changed the rear brakes today.  Quick and easy...  well, we used the entire hub that the brakes are clipped to from our parts bike, so it was even easier!  But they work like a charm!  Getting the wheel back into alignment was a little tricky, maybe just because it was our first time, but we got it!  Thanks for all the help!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:22:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.