babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Rear Brakes
10/01/10 at 09:11:03

Ok, I'm taking the easy way and asking....  I did a search, found lots of stuff to weed through, but I'm lazy on Friday, and this place has been pretty dead anyway.  

My '87 needs rear brakes...

THESE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270444607243

OR THESE:  (I know someone here used these)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330419956552

OR other suggestions are welcome!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Rear Brakes
Reply #1 - 10/01/10 at 09:42:14

Everyone knows the stock shoes are touchy and tend to lock up easy.
From my experience the organic (kevlar in particular) front pads are the best.  I would tend to do the same for the rears.

I'd querry both and see what compound they were and short of that, the second option says organic so I'd go with that.

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/01/10 at 10:45:41

verslagen1 wrote on 10/01/10 at 09:42:14:
Everyone knows the stock shoes are touchy and tend to lock up easy.

Oops, I guess I've missed that.  Thanks for your input.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 10/01/10 at 10:49:53

Babyhog,

This is not really apples to oranges, more like oranges to tangerines I guess.  I bought front brakes from the folks in the second link, got quick shipping and they seem to be good.  The do not squeal at all, something the others did like a banshee.

Someone ordered a complete set, front and rear right before I did, but I cannot remember who, maybe they will chime in.  Ok, I found it Bubba was the one that ordered front and rear.  I searched, must not be as lazy as you babyhog! Wink  Just kidding!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1277840951/0

You could ask him.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 10/01/10 at 10:52:13

I don't think my rear brakes will ever wear out...  They're mostly just roll stoppers at traffic lights....

... and the occasional Squid skid, in balls out panic stops... Huh...

25k and still meaty...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 10/01/10 at 11:18:57

Serowbot wrote on 10/01/10 at 10:52:13:
I don't think my rear brakes will ever wear out...  They're mostly just roll stoppers at traffic lights....

... and the occasional Squid skid, in balls out panic stops... Huh...

25k and still meaty...

These aren't worn out, they are non-existent!  So I gotta put something on it.  

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 10/01/10 at 11:21:33

prechermike wrote on 10/01/10 at 10:49:53:
Babyhog,

This is not really apples to oranges, more like oranges to tangerines I guess.  I bought front brakes from the folks in the second link, got quick shipping and they seem to be good.  The do not squeal at all, something the others did like a banshee.

Someone ordered a complete set, front and rear right before I did, but I cannot remember who, maybe they will chime in.  Ok, I found it Bubba was the one that ordered front and rear.  I searched, must not be as lazy as you babyhog! Wink  Just kidding!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1277840951/0

You could ask him.

Thanks Mike.  I will re-read that thread.  I think those are the ones I'm gonna try.  

And Congratulations on not being as lazy as me!  (you realize that isn't saying much, right?)  LOL   Grin   Grin

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 10/01/10 at 11:30:53

For rear brakes I just told the guy to get me a set of EMGO, I think. Like some others I usually use fronts with a touch of rear. You will come across sintered and non sintered. Without getting all crazy about it, the sintered are supposed to grab more quickly, while the organics have a slower, subtle feel that Verslagen touched on. BTW my rear brakes squall like an 18-wheeler. I always get on them pretty hard at my first stop and let them get it out of their system. After that, it's all good.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #8 - 10/06/10 at 09:51:31

Ok, I've been reading about rear brakes.  Someone mentioned tightening a nut to adjust the rears.  Can someone point me to what nut??

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 10/06/10 at 10:21:19

Look at the end of your brake actuation rod, the long one that runs up to the brake petal -- yup, that's yer nut at the end of the rod next to the lever arm.

Getting advanced here now --- when you think your brakes are "worn out" by the indicator they still have an extra 1/3 of their life left.  Simply rotate the lever arm on the spline to put things back to the start point again and order yourself a new set of brake shoes through the mail and have them on hand for the next time you have occasion to have the rear wheel off.  

No need to do several tear downs, just wait and do one tear down.

Your rear brakes are very long lasting and this move-the-lever-on-the-spline rotation trick can buy you well over a year of extra brakes to tide you over to the next rear tire change.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 10/06/10 at 10:28:16

Unless you're like me. I wore out the fronts early this summer--never got around to replacing them, being unemployed and all....so I was using just the rears all summer. 18,000 on the bike and I need front pads and rear shoes. And my nut is adjusted all the way in. I barely have rears left now. (Riding at all is a slow cautious go)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 10/06/10 at 10:32:48

Move the lever on its spline to put it back in the "good zone" and see about finding $25 to order a set from here.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330419956552

You will have about a year to get her done and in that long you can find the money somehow even if it is by saving pocket change in a jar.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 10/06/10 at 10:36:50

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/06/10 at 10:21:19:

Look at the end of your brake actuation rod, the long one that runs up to the brake petal -- yup, that's yer nut at the end of the rod next to the lever arm.

Getting advanced here now --- when you think your brakes are "worn out" by the indicator they still have an extra 1/3 of their life left.  Simply rotate the lever arm on the spline to put things back to the start point again and order yourself a new set of brake shoes through the mail and have them on hand for the next time you have occasion to have the rear wheel off.  

No need to do several tear downs, just wait and do one tear down.

Your rear brakes are very long lasting and this move-the-lever-on-the-spline rotation trick can buy you well over a year of extra brakes to tide you over to the next rear tire change.

Well, duh.  I guess you are surprised that I can even ride, huh?   Grin  Thanks Oldfeller, my friend.

This is not for my bike, its for my son's.  Haven't had any rear brakes, but never adjusted the nut, we thought it needed new shoes.  (He!!, I'm not even sure we checked the fluid)  But when I took apart the extra parts bike, I saw how pretty the shoes were, and was just gonna swap them out.  So I did some reading on changing them, and ran across that comment about the nut, and thought "huh, maybe that's all that needs done!"   Will look this evening when I get home.  

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #13 - 10/06/10 at 15:08:28

drums1 wrote on 10/06/10 at 10:28:16:
Unless you're like me. I wore out the fronts early this summer--never got around to replacing them, being unemployed and all....so I was using just the rears all summer. 18,000 on the bike and I need front pads and rear shoes. And my nut is adjusted all the way in. I barely have rears left now. (Riding at all is a slow cautious go)

if the rears wear out you could just drag your feet!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 10/06/10 at 19:08:02

Ever notice no one has started selling brake pads with a pic of
Fred Flintstone throwing dirt up with his feet on the front of the package?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:24:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Brakes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.