Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
First ride with my son today (Read 146 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
First ride with my son today
09/30/10 at 18:40:17

My son got his learner's permit today, so we went for a ride.  He rode my step-son's Savage, as the step-son hasn't gotten his permit yet (not to mention all the other trouble he is in with his father!).  My son doesn't have a bike yet, but he wants one badly.

We rode about 25 miles, until the bike died about a mile from home.  We had to jump the battery to start the bike to begin with, since step-son hasn't been riding (did I mention he's in trouble? lol)  So we took off, rode for about 45 minutes, headed back home, and the dang thing died.  Hubby brought the truck and gave him a jump and we got it home.  Battery is on charger now, hopefully it will hold.  

But overall, it was fun, fun, fun.  As protective as I've always been with "my little boy", I was actually pretty comfortable with his riding.  He rode dirt bikes as a kid and I was always scared to death, but today was very nice.  He wanted to ride behind me most of the way, then I told him I had the camera on the bike and I'd film him if he rode in front.  I got a good shot of the fire coming out of the exhaust when we pulled into the garage, and the KERPOW!.  Will post it soon....  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Re: First ride with my son today
Reply #1 - 09/30/10 at 19:12:17

Piglet, nice your son and you had that privlidge. It is always memorable when we can share experiences with our children. Maybe you should start a journal along with pics if you haven't done so already... Smiley kim

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #2 - 09/30/10 at 20:29:24

I'm jealous! I'm still waiting on my son to quit changing his mind every other day about what he wants to do! 3 months ago he couldn't wait to try it. Now it's on the back burner because of things he wants out of school. I guess I'll be doing my fall rides solo again this year!
 Very cool babyhog. Enjoy the ride and the time!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/30/10 at 22:43:49

Piglet, so happy for you, wow ! your first ride with the lad,one you will Both remember for ever.
That being said I don't hold out much hope for that battery,it's not holding a charge at all,I think you will be in the market for a new one.
Shame you live so far from me I have a spare in good shape,it's a wet battery I don't know if I  am able to ship it somehow,anyone know ?
If you figure out how it's yours,let me know (no charge)

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 10/01/10 at 01:00:08

Wow, very cool! Cool  And better yet, you got it on video, so you can enjoy it again and again.

I'm thinking Mick's right about the battery, probably on it's last leg.  And I doubt they'd ship a wet battery, but I could be wrong.  Seems like it'd be too easy for it to leak.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
dv8savagerider

Ride safe!

Southern Michigan
Reply #5 - 10/01/10 at 05:26:53

I also cant wait till i can enjoy that first ride with my son on the road.  He has been riding on the back for a long time and is looking forward to driving himself some day.  For now the only thing i can do is ride in the dirt with him- he is 7 and has been riding dirt bikes since he was 4. Congrats on your first ride and enjoy many more!

2001 Savage, Corbin seat, Jardine Rumbler Slashcut exhaust, K&N Air Filter, Ed L. 4" Fwd Controls, Stage 2 Carb Jet Kit
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #6 - 10/01/10 at 06:28:48

Yea, I'm figuring a new battery is due.  Thanks for the input!

Here is 3 minutes of highlight clips from our ride....  watch for the flames at the end, not nearly as violent on video as it was in person!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #7 - 10/01/10 at 07:48:05

Cant the battery be emptied, shipped then refilled after receipt?

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #8 - 10/01/10 at 08:12:32

Nice video Piglet and yes one that can be shown time and time again. Thanks for sharing that special moment with us.Smiley kim

IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #9 - 10/01/10 at 08:14:08

Great video,just reminded me of my first rides with my son. Even though he is now 23 and in the military,we try to ride with each other every chance we get. It is just something really special, to be enjoyed.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #10 - 10/01/10 at 08:30:03

It's fun to ride with one's son.

From my experience, a fresh battery is less hassle than going to get them when they have trouble. Also I recommend checking the level in the gas tank once and a while. This can also save you a trip.   Wink

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #11 - 10/01/10 at 10:23:47

that one way tunnel was certainly interesting - in a puckery kind of way - i guess i missed something - how do you know you are not going to meet someone head on?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #12 - 10/01/10 at 10:24:32

Totally diggin the camera! Awesome ride!

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 10/01/10 at 10:27:33

weracerc wrote on 10/01/10 at 10:23:47:
that one way tunnel was certainly interesting - in a puckery kind of way - i guess i missed something - how do you know you are not going to meet someone head on?

You must have missed the traffic light.  Lights on each end, silly.  I drive through it at least twice a day, every day!  And there is a railroad tunnel just a few feet from it.  I've walked through the train tunnel.  Dark and Scary...

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #14 - 10/01/10 at 10:38:31

When I started riding about two years ago my daughter got so into it that I bought her a 450 Rebel.  We only rode together once because of very different schedules.  This year the bike's been in the shop all summer and Jody's been paying on it slowly.  She called this morning asking me to come down tomorrow cuz she's ready to pick it up.  So I'm looking forward to that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 17:57:09

General CategoryThe Cafe › First ride with my son today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.