Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Intro and oil filter question (Read 727 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Intro and oil filter question
Reply #45 - 10/03/10 at 09:28:47

Does all the voluminous white smoke pouring from the exhaust pipe from the seafoam burning off during the combustion process add any extra magical "shaman" points to the equation?

The original native Americans liked white smoke a whole lot for its magical properties, they even communicated with their totem spirits by smoke signals ....

What is this one saying to you?

Spirit talk translation:

Hey bonehead,  the shaman spirits say you will now have to replace all your oil contaminated oxygen and CO2 sensors and get your pollution control system reset by the dealership -- total cost of around $1,760 to you --- but wasn't it worth it to you to "clean out your engine" using the white cloud Seafoam magic?

I guess the red magic sparkles didn't bond with and compliment the white smoke magic on that one, now did it?

« Last Edit: 10/03/10 at 10:48:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #46 - 10/03/10 at 11:45:51

Oldfeller you wouldn't be a redneck would you. Undecided

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 10/03/10 at 12:09:10

The term is Amerind, and no I don't have any native totemic or shamanic heritage in my background.  

Nor do I really believe in red oil magic, white smoke magic or fairy sparkles of whatever color you may think you need.

I hale from actual factual and I believe in empirical engine test results and many miles worth of oil analysis done by Blackstone labs and other reputable data sources.

The fact I can speak fluent enough Billish well enough to communicate with you and I can follow your convoluted backwards Billogic is a tribute to my sense of humor more than my good sense.

And why anyone, newbie or otherwise would go fill their carb bowl slam full up with a third of a bottle of rubbing alcohol, benzine and kerosene mixture (Seafoam) and then throw the other third of the bottle into the gallon and a half of gasoline sitting in their gas tank at your urging makes me wonder if they DRANK the first third of the bottle before they started following your instructions.

But if you think I am a redneck, well then it must be so -- right?

Wink

=================================

BTW, when I am wrong I do say so ... and I was wrong and you were right.

"I went out this afternoon and drained the seafoam out of the carb bowl, put the petcock on prime for a minute or so, and cranked it. After a few cranks, it fired up and ran like a charm with a little smoke and then cleared up. I suppose the stuck float will occur again, but I'm sure that has been the problem all along. Thanks for all your help"

He didn't try to crank it with a bowl slam full of seafoam, he drained it first and "everything is working great now".    The white smoke magic worked for him.

T'is a fact -- it worked for him.

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Now, lets see how long that white smoke magic lasts.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #48 - 10/03/10 at 16:22:01

"I went out this afternoon and drained the seafoam out of the carb bowl, put the petcock on prime for a minute or so, and cranked it. After a few cranks, it fired up and ran like a charm with a little smoke and then cleared up. I suppose the stuck float will occur again, but I'm sure that has been the problem all along. Thanks for all your help"

He didn't try to crank it with a bowl slam full of seafoam, he drained it first and "everything is working great now".    The white smoke magic worked for him.

T'is a fact -- it worked for him.

Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

Now, lets see how long that white smoke magic lasts. [/quote]

Just to be clear, my goal was to hopefully clear out any small particles in the carb. I don't know if it will be successful in the long term. BTW, I'm only a newbie in terms of this forum. I'm a long time wrench but as far as bikes are concerned, I have a lot more experience with Vulcan 750's (two carbs with an entirely different petcock setup). While I do use seafoam somewhat regularly and have seen it work, I don't for a minute believe it is magical as some folks do.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 10/03/10 at 16:56:19

HERETIC!

Bailiff, take him away!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #50 - 10/04/10 at 08:27:58

This will just go on and on and on..... forever as usual!  Grin

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 10/04/10 at 13:21:16

Uh oh ....

You done told the true believers that you don't clap fer tinker bell .....

Good man !!

=====================

Let's see, since you have enlisted on the reality side you need to get your standard issue Reality Side gear.

Quartermaster, issue to 99Savage the standard Reality Side oil war gear at once

(Hurry, he's got incoming ....)

10 pair kevlar underwear and tee shirts
10 pair kevlar long sleeve shirts and long pants
6 pair Flame proof shortsleeve shirts and short pants
2 sets of kevlar hip waders (the bullshite here can get flaming hot and hip deep around here)
Heavy duty apron, fire gloves and fire suit (sometimes prevention is the best defense)
True Vision Night Goggles  (sometimes the truth is obscured by the smoke)

When you get done at the Quartermaster, go by the Armory and pick up your .50 cal Barrett, your belt feed M60, your assault shotgun, carbide laminate fighting knife and get yerself Google qualified to do nuclear level research while you are there.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
99savage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Strawberry Plains, TN
Reply #52 - 10/04/10 at 13:40:04

I need all that just to fight off the incoming attack from "true believers"? I know I'm new here, but I've been around the Vulcan forum for a while now. There are some on that forum that "worship" the stuff while others see its role as a limited additive. I have seen it work for some problems, but I know for a fact that it doesn't dissolve everything it comes in contact with; therefore, some small particles simply break loose to go elsewhere. I guess my question is: where do you think those particles go?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #53 - 10/04/10 at 14:51:05

Out in the magic white smoke of course.

(that's why it's magic)

When you clean up an engine internally by using diesel oil there isn't any magic smoke, the surfactants and detergents in the oil slowly strip away the particles that are clinging around on every internal surface and puts them into physical suspension in the oil matrix.   Then when you drain the used oil, the particles depart with the drained oil.

No magic, no white smoke, just well designed chemistry in motion ....

Now, if I were gonna free a stuck float and needle valve the way I do it is to turn the gas on then take a heavy screw driver handle and whack the float bowl a time or four fairly sharply to jar the needle off the seat.

(temporary adhesion of the rubber tip to the brass seat has it momentarily trapped)  

Once it jars partially loose the gas starts to flow, everything separates and goes back to normal until the next time the bowl runs totally dry on you.  

Next time you take the bowl off, check to see that the float to needle spring clip is still attached properly and isn't stretched out, the float is supposed to physically tug the needle down away from the seat when it goes totally low, reliably opening up the gas pathway for when gas is available again.

=================

And, did you know .....

Your standard regular gasoline has 10% alcohol in it now days.   You are running cheap "carb cleaner" through your carb all the time now-a-days?

And you can buy kerosene by the gallon at the gas station if you want to "estimate out" your own seafoam mix.

========================

Did you ever wonder how the big gas stations are offering "engine cleaner" at their pumps now?  And they don't seem to have any extra tanks to hold anything new like "engine cleaner"?

Well, let's see -- gasoline is a member of the benzine clan.   Alcohol is alcohol and kerosene was originally named naptha oil or white oil, from back when it was used mostly as a lamp fuel.

Wow -- the computerized pumping station just adds the right ratio of white oil to match the 10% alcohol content that's already there and the gasoline likely carries enough benzine type molecules for them to stretch their claims a bit to say they provided you "addatec engine cleaner" for that extra dollar or two they charged you for the "addatec package" that you punched up for at the pump.

Heck, you might have gotten a whole pint or two of white oil added to your gas tank full of gasoline for your 1-2 extra dollars you paid (but they also charged you the full gasoline price for that couple of pints on top of that as it went out through the main flow $$$ meter along with the rest of the load).

And how the heck do they provide a custom "mileage booster" by pushing a button at the pump?

You guessed it -- white oil is a heavier, higher energy carrying molecule so about the same mix ratio as "addatec engine cleaner" is also the "addatec mileage booster" you can also buy at the pump by pushing the other button (except it costs even more).

and its all "white smoke magic" too -- heck they should charge even more for it !!!

Grin   Grin   Grin  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #54 - 10/04/10 at 15:07:05

Bill,

Since it has been 29 years since the last time you adjusted a valve on a motorcycle engine ....

.... has it been about that same length of time since you ever dropped the bowl on your carburetor?

Grin   Grin   Grin  

Does Seafoam magic do the same thing for you for the carburetor that Klotz magic does for the engine?

What other magical stuff have you been using to avoid working on your bike?

Slime in the tubes to prevent flats?

We know you put Klotz in your forks (almost like work, that one).

What other wonder stuffs have you discovered ???

Bill is not unique --

.... we have another list member that has 76,000 miles on a Savage that has never had the valves adjusted so YES VIRGINIA you can simply decide to never do anything to it except change the oil and put gas in it and it will keep right on running ....

.... 'cept that guy doesn't believe in magic -- he just changes his oil frequently and fixes what gets wonky whenever it happens.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #55 - 10/04/10 at 15:25:51

Oldfeller I haven't discovered any thing.Sea foam will clean the engine and carb,Klotz is the best high performance oil money can buy.Now OF you are the Columbus here you discovered diesel oil is better in motorcycles than Motorcycle oil,And that car tires are better than motorcycle tires on motorcycles. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 10/04/10 at 16:48:16

No .... and no

Rotella was discovered a long time before I came back into biking by a whole lot of other people.   It has been a popular motorcycle oil for decades -- just got oil warred here because it was an easy to win positon (still is, too -- wins every time).

proof is here    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1286052718

VW Darksider tires were discovered back when I was in high school, they were cheap and they lasted forever.  15" rear wheel tire size was the MOST COMMON rear wheel size of the 50's 60's and 70's you know.   All I did was figure out how to squeeze one into the wheel well of a Savage.

And I wasn't the first, BTW,  MMRanch was on his second Darksider tire and Paladin was on his 2-3rd tire by the time I posted mine.

So, once again Bill aims carefully & fires his gun .... and instead of hitting the bullseye he hits the bull patty yet again.

Pow !!

<splat>

Embarrassed   Kiss    pew !!     Shocked    Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #57 - 10/05/10 at 18:53:40

Hey IN-S40, Boofer here. (See second post, page 1). For a first time poster, you really stepped in it. I suggest your next question should be something like, oh I don't know...how about, "Can anybody tell me what it means to go over to the "Darkside" on tires?" And then a quick follow up, "Is it safe?" Welcome, again. We like your choice of bikes.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #58 - 10/05/10 at 19:02:27

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/04/10 at 16:48:16:

No .... and no

Rotella was discovered a long time before I came back into biking by a whole lot of other people.   It has been a popular motorcycle oil for decades -- just got oil warred here because it was an easy to win positon (still is, too -- wins every time).

proof is here    http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1286052718

VW Darksider tires were discovered back when I was in high school, they were cheap and they lasted forever.  15" rear wheel tire size was the MOST COMMON rear wheel size of the 50's 60's and 70's you know.   All I did was figure out how to squeeze one into the wheel well of a Savage.

And I wasn't the first, BTW,  MMRanch was on his second Darksider tire and Paladin was on his 2-3rd tire by the time I posted mine.

So, once again Bill aims carefully & fires his gun .... and instead of hitting the bullseye he hits the bull patty yet again.

Pow !!

<splat>

Embarrassed   Kiss    pew !!     Shocked    Tongue

In 1957 cars went to 14 in wheels,First motorcycles in early 1900 had flat tires instead of round tires.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #59 - 10/05/10 at 20:31:21

Boofer wrote on 10/05/10 at 18:53:40:
Hey IN-S40, Boofer here. (See second post, page 1). For a first time poster, you really stepped in it. I suggest your next question should be something like, oh I don't know...how about, "Can anybody tell me what it means to go over to the "Darkside" on tires?" And then a quick follow up, "Is it safe?" Welcome, again. We like your choice of bikes.

LOL! Thanks Boofer! I guess I should have ended the question at the oil filter and not include the actual oil...lol I have gone with Rotella T. I use to snomobile alot and used Klotz in my 2 cycle engines and while they make a fine product that may be worth the money but my budget doesnt allow using it.  

Darren
Indiana

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:19:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro and oil filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.