Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Intro and oil filter question (Read 727 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Intro and oil filter question
Reply #30 - 10/02/10 at 12:44:03

Does Rotella make two cycle oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #31 - 10/02/10 at 12:59:07

Let's talk about BRAND LOYALTY -- how does one get that elusive "good brand name" and how does one go about keeping it?

Any thoughts?

===========

Face it, men are creatures of habit.   My daddy used Quaker State and swore by it and I used it until it KILLED a car engine by sludging solid due to overheating ....   then by golly I started doing my own thinking !!

===========

Men and women are "brand loyal" in the face of a lot of data and evidence to the contrary.

Why are you loyal to Castrol?   Or to Mobil 1?   Or to any other car oil brand that just within the last few years custom mixed up a set of motorcycle spec'd oil and started charging you 3-4 times more for it?
(it must be them special print run bottles that cost them so durn much)

Castrol's rep was racing oil for cars -- and yes they did supply racing oils for motorcycles so their rep is more solid than most.

Did you know that the original racing oils don't have any of the durability packages or anti-oxidant packages or detergent packages or surfactant packages that a wet clutch motorcycle needs for long term oil stability?  

Racing oils get dumped at the end of the day and the motors get torn down ....  no need for that long range durability stuff so the original racing oils simply didn't have any.

Racing isn't the best place to look for durability under extreme loads and "heavy duty use" anyway ....   12.5 to 1 compression ratios and pump gasoline bearing loadings really aren't that stressful compared to severely nasty 20:1 compression ratios and 150,000 mile drain intervals now are they?

Hmmmm .... what brand names are world beaters in that more difficult turf that has natural requirements that mean the oil can be JASO tested and pass handily as-is without requiring ANY additional anything (including the special additives, special packaging and quadruple the original car product costs that the car guys had to do)?

They already had more of the good stuff than was required by JASO anyway, right from the get go.

Delvac, Shaffer, Dello, Motul, Rotella, who speaks in these strange brand names and which ones of these brand names are respected in the world of "gets so darn hot in the cylinder the stuff self ignites -- no spark plugs are needed"?

Which ones are respected for doing the 150,000-200,000 mile distance and protecting that 18 cylinder 20:1 compression quarter million dollar engine the best?

And why does that sort of name brand preference cross over more closely to the needs of our hot running air cooled big single motorcycle engine than some of the lower stressed water cooled race car stuff does?

Any thoughts here?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 10/02/10 at 13:06:45

My thoughts are it sure is funny that you know about how good diesel oil is for motorcycles an Suzuki,honda,yamaha,kawasaki, don't know that. Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #33 - 10/02/10 at 13:10:24

But then again they don't even know what kind of tires to put on their motorcycles,Boy what a bunch of Jap retards Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 10/02/10 at 13:18:53

In combination they are JASO -- and I think they do know.  

Once again, Rotella exceeded JASO specs "as is" -- the first time it was tested it passed everything except on sulfur content and that was because the number had just been lowered by JASO.  Second test passed and so has every test since then.

Strange thing is the oil was already very popular with four cycle motorcycle drag racing folks and had a decades long tradition of excellent wear control with the high mileage boys like the Honda Goldwing crew.

===========================

Name off some dino oil brands that we all like to use, then we stick them up in a poll and let the list folks ring in with what they currently use.

Are you a betting man, Billum?

Neither one of us has a dog in that fight (we both use synthetics) so it will be interesting to see which dinosaur we like to squeeze the most for our crank case drippings.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #35 - 10/02/10 at 13:39:23

I really don't know anything about the differenced dino oils being in the construction business I always used the best not the cheapest,You know you can buy a Hershey bar or go in a homemade chocolate store and get the real deal but you do pay more.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #36 - 10/02/10 at 16:44:44

wow! I see the oil subject is a bit touchy around here!  Grin I have picked up the Rotella and will be using that.... Now should i fill it according to the manual or overfill.... just kidding! Wink

Thanks for the help everyone!
Darren
NW Indiana

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 10/03/10 at 00:12:34

If your bike is still young and is not using any oil between changes, you can do the standard Suzuki method.

(and most people do)

Once you get on up into the higher mileage oil sipping stage of things, probably better to peek over the edge of the window on the side stand -- gives you a "confidence reserve" for a longer trip and makes sure you never run low to the standard Suzuki method.   Plus it is easier to keep an eye on, which is a good thing when you become an oil sipper.

======================

If you are changing over to Rotella for the very first time be aware that the extra surfactant and detergent packages in the oil are gonna strip all the black crap out of the nooks and crannies of your motor -- all that black crap that you wipe your finger on and sigh when you have a cover off working on things.

It's gonna do it like NOW, so expect your first Rotella change to go dark fairly quick as it picks up all your past sins and puts it into active suspension into the oil.

Diesels have to deal with fine soot blowing past the rings due to the extreme compression levels reached both before and during their combustion processes, so they have all the necessary detergent scrubbers and particle suspenders that are up to that dirty task for a goodly long (100,000 mile plus) time.  

What this does for us in a Savage is to give us a ongoing clean up of all the past owner's sins and omissions.  I have intentionally used this trick on some really abused & crapped up bikes and the diesel oil will strip them clean internally within a year of normal oil changes.

Just don't be surprised when the first oil change gets dark pretty durn quick.  You don't HAVE to change the first one out any earlier than normal, the fine crap from the past sins will stay in suspension and wait for a normal oil change interval (but most of us do chose to change it on out early -- for us bike guys its a habit to get the evil on out of there).  But you don't have to -- it will stay in suspension for 100,000 miles as it is built to do that as normal duty.

After a Rotella oil change or three you'll even out to a steady clean state and your engine gunk will all be gone ...

Pretty durn nice stuff for less than $2.00 a quart, huh?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #38 - 10/03/10 at 03:42:17

Put Sea Foam in your oil to clean up the engine,Then go to a good motorcycle oil like Klotz Synthetic.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 10/03/10 at 07:27:17

Bill, did you really tell a newbie to fill his float bowl up 100% with straight seafoam?

You know he's never gonna get it to start, don't you?

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

"Do you believe in Magic -- in a young girl's heart ...."

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #40 - 10/03/10 at 07:30:14

No not to fill it up,He only needs about 1/4 the bowl filled with Sea Foam.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #41 - 10/03/10 at 07:43:11

Bill, he filled it up all the way

let's see ....

$8 for the seafoam

$26 for two quarts of Klotz

Bill's magical solution costs $30 per bike (plus shipping, but who's counting)

Mine isn't magical, but it works fine and only costs $5 per bike

Bill's solution costs six times more than mine, so according to Bill logic it MUST BE AT LEAST six times better
as it gets both the red magic from the Klotz and the white smoke magic from the Seafoam making it double times six times betterer...er

« Last Edit: 10/03/10 at 10:37:22 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 10/03/10 at 08:21:16

I would say your looking at closer to 9 to  10  times better to be honest with you.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #43 - 10/03/10 at 08:24:25

Did it pick up the extra points because you don't have to ever do any routine maintenance on it ever again due to the red and clear "zero wear" fairy sparkles protecting all the rest of the bike?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #44 - 10/03/10 at 08:27:03

The red is easy to see in the oil window,So you don't screw up and over fill,And you will have no wear on your engine.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro and oil filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.