Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Intro and oil filter question (Read 727 times)
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Intro and oil filter question
09/28/10 at 19:52:26

Hi everyone, My girlfriend and I are the proud new owners of a 2005 S40(mine) and a 2003 LS650(hers). Theses are our first bikes and so far we have been having a blast learning and will soon be taking a saftey course. Since I have no idea when the oil was last changed on the bikes I figure that will be a good start to doing maintenance on them. From what I can find online the filters are the same for both bikes ? Looking for a good online source for the filters since we dont have any local Suzuki dealers. Also what is the recomended oil?

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Intro and oil filter question
Reply #1 - 09/28/10 at 20:46:14

Let me get this, guys. NEVER ask about oil on this forum. There will be blood. It will go on for days. Oh, the humanity! I will say use 10w40, but oil with friction additives can cause the clutch to slip. I personally used Castrol Acteveo for about a year. It was $6 a quart. I now use a cheaper oil that I am completely happy with. It was recommended by my friends who have scads of trophies from racing 650 Kawasaki dirt bikes and KTMs. It costs $12/gal. Oh, man I've said too much. They'll be coming for me soon . I got to go. And welcome to the site.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #2 - 09/28/10 at 20:51:06

Welcome brother. Forty years from now tell someone new the same thing and remember this Wink Oil questions are the proverbial can of worms but, I like Rotella T 15w-40 and the standard filter. Filter on line and oil at Walmart. Enjoy and be safe.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/28/10 at 20:56:31

Worms? I like night crawlers.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #4 - 09/28/10 at 21:02:17

IN-S40 wrote on 09/28/10 at 19:52:26:
Hi everyone, My girlfriend and I are the proud new owners of a 2005 S40(mine) and a 2003 LS650(hers). Theses are our first bikes and so far we have been having a blast learning and will soon be taking a saftey course. Since I have no idea when the oil was last changed on the bikes I figure that will be a good start to doing maintenance on them. From what I can find online the filters are the same for both bikes ? Looking for a good online source for the filters since we dont have any local Suzuki dealers. Also what is the recomended oil?

Oil filters should be the same for both bikes. If you like the idea of doing your own work on the bikes, get to know the Tech section of this forum. One of the first threads there is a table of contents for the tech section and will include all your maintenance (and mods and fixes) for the bike, including oil changes.

People around here are very touchy about what oils to use, but in the end it is up to you, so use what works. if you are planning on riding in colder environments, a lighter weight oil might help you out (as well as an iridium spark plug), otherwise i'm fairly confident that most oils will work just fine.

Hope you and your lady have a blast riding, these are great bikes with a lot more to them than they look. Now that you're part of the club, don't be shy 'round the forum!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/28/10 at 22:29:06

erl?    

'zat you buddy?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #6 - 09/28/10 at 22:36:31

verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/10 at 20:56:31:
Worms? I like night crawlers.

I've always found waterdogs interesting. Really weird, but interesting Huh

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/28/10 at 22:52:55

Make very sure you put the filter in the right way 'round... (it can blow the cover...)
... and don't loose the o-ring underneath...

oh,.. and welcome... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #8 - 09/28/10 at 23:03:17

..you just scared the hell out of someone. Cheesy

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/29/10 at 00:35:16

Hey, he asked a question  

(asking questions is good)

He got a "fair warning" about putting the oil filter on backwards (because you can do that accidentally without trying very hard when you are a newbie)

That's all appropriate information.

So far nobody's told him in any great amount of detail as to WHY you don't ever use energy star marked oils in a motorcycle .....

Or why you need ZDDP in the oil for a Savage engine ....

Folks have been helpful, but not overly pushy about it

and that's a good way to treat a brand new newperson

If he has more questions, he'll ask them.

Grin    Grin    Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 09/29/10 at 05:33:50

Welcome!  We like pics around here, so feel free to post some if you get a chance.

And as far as filters being the same for the '03 and '05, you will find that darn near everything will be the same for both bikes.  95-05 not many changes were made.  A few cosmetic changes made after '05, including name "Savage" to "S40", but these bikes have changed so little since the first few years, its amazing.  Oh, modifications are abundant and many are easy, so of course it would depend on what the prior owners have done.

Oh, and tell your woman to sign up here too.  I need all the help I can get keeping these guys in line!   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/29/10 at 06:23:35

So many little things you can do. Old Feller has some special magnets he uses to pull stuff outta the oil as he rides. I just went with a magnetic oil plug.
The bikes need some lookin after to keep them healthy. Payin the mechanic to look after them for you will get expensive. since you have 2 of them, itll sure pay you double to learn how to do what needs done. Itll be great fun for the 2 of ya.  These bikes are simp[le, crude but effective, charming machines,.

Got a place for tools & workin on a bike?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IN-S40

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Michigan City, IN
Reply #12 - 10/01/10 at 20:34:05

Ive been meaning to get a pic up, here ya go. Also I have 2 filters ready to go and some Rotella 15w-40, doing the oil in them tomorrow. Went for my first real ride today to work and back, not far maybe a 10 mile round trip but I can see this being an addicting thing!

Darren
NW Indiana

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #13 - 10/02/10 at 01:30:54

Purty bikes !!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 10/02/10 at 06:47:53

Pretty Bikes,.......
Perdy is for "perdy good"........or bad
Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:14:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro and oil filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.