Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Intro and oil filter question (Read 727 times)
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Re: Intro and oil filter question
Reply #15 - 10/02/10 at 07:26:15

Pretty nice bikes. Esp the green one which is the same as mine. Cool

I've always used 10W40 (as written on the fill cap). I've only used Castrol motorcycle oil from Walmart. It's always worked for me.

Congrats on the bikes. You'll have a great time and it's not too overwhelming a bike to learn on.  Have fun and ride safe.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 10/02/10 at 08:13:37

Gobnaitt,  

Really, just about anything that is motorcycle rated will actually "work" OK in a Savage engine, but ....

.... but you mentioned you liked Castrol motorcycle 10w40 oil from Wal Mart.  
No doubt you have some good reasons to do so, so illuminate our darkness a bit on the subject, jest fer the chuckles of it?

$3.99 per quart

Let's use that other Wal Mart oil that was mentioned earlier and get you to compare and contrast your preferred Castrol MC oil against it, jest for a little something to do on a slow Saturday afternoon.

What was that other oil?    Came in what, big white gallon jugs didn't it?

$11.00 a gallon

Smiley    

.... and before you let ol' Bullshooter Bill confuse you too terribly much with his nonsense, both oils mentioned above are both of them JASO MA rated as suitable motorcycle oils

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #17 - 10/02/10 at 08:45:28

Castrol motorcycle oil is a good motorcycle oil and has been for a long time,Keep with the long time proven motorcycle oils.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 10/02/10 at 09:05:52

Hi Oldfeller,
I've only used the Castrol since it was the only MC oil that my Walmart has. It's cheaper than the other kinds at Canadian Tire and it works fine for me so why switch.

I was just saying what I use so it's not all that entertaining.  I know all about the illuminating best oil "discussions"  Wink  I have no reason apart from it works and is handy to pick up. Nothing technical about it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 10/02/10 at 09:30:19

That's Ok,   glad to be able to help.  

Canadian Tire sells both oils, but you get an especially good deal there on the Rotella T 15W40 as you can buy it in 3 gallon bulk jugs at only $19.99 for 3 gallons (translates to only $1.65 a quart).  

And yes Bill, it is the same JASO MA rated oil that is sold in the JASO marked gallon sized jugs here in the USA

So, $3.99 a quart for Castrol 10W40, or $1.65 a quart for Rotella T 15w40 ....   if it was cost we can see where the advantage leans towards.

And if it isn't cost, then somebody needs to lay out the feature or characteristic that makes you want to pay 2.4 times more for one dino oil than the other.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/EngineOil/DieselOil/PRD~0287930P...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #20 - 10/02/10 at 09:35:42

Welcome and great looking bikes. Hi to your lady and always nice to have another gal on a bike of her own.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 10/02/10 at 09:39:37

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/02/10 at 09:30:19:

That's Ok,   glad to be able to help.   Canadian Tire sells both oils, but you get an especially good deal on the Rotella as you can buy it in 3 gallon bulk jugs at only $19.99 for 3 gallons (translates to only $1.65 a quart.   And yes Bill, it is the same JASO MA rated oil that is sold in the JASO marked gallon jugs here in the USA.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/EngineOil/DieselOil/PRD~0287930P...

Oil isn't the place to save money,Use the highest price motorcycle oil you can afford,It will save you lots of money in the long run.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/02/10 at 09:54:36

Bill, are you talking about the "magic red potion" thing again?   That if it costs a whole lot more it HAS to be better?    That the magic will ooze out all over the bike and fix cables and such no matter what happens?  It doesn't work that way, no matter how much you need to believe it does because you refuse to do maintenance on your bike.

We just went down that road with you over your $13.00 a quart Klotz oil and lo and behold, it didn't hold any advantage under tests that anyone (including you) could ever identify by any form of testing that anyone could dream up, including you.  

The high cost must be magic stuff just doesn't pan out when reality hits it up square and cold ....  You still have to do routine maintenance on your bike and you gotta periodically adjust your silly valves for best performance and gas mileage, etc.

Now, synthetic vs dino does pan out with some evidence behind it, but we are talking about two dino type oils right now.   IF we were talking about synthetic oils, we would be talking about blue jug rotella T-6 which test out to be competitive to better on features and to be a much less expensive synthetic oil than most.

But that is a different sort of oil war ....   This here is a good dino erl discussion.

And dino oils are JEST FINE for a stock Savage engine
-- dino oil and a reasonable oil change frequency is list proven to go 51,000 to 76,000 to 120,000 miles on a Savage engine so far.

Yep, one right purty bike (guys can accept terms like purty, "pretty" is too girly for them) and one really pretty bike   Wink

Castrol is a good premium brand name of oil.   There is nothing wrong with Castrol and it does cost a lot less than the rest of the $9 a quart bottle JASO MA rated oils that you commonly see in the motorcycle section.

But when you start talking buying in gallon or bigger jugs you can get premium brand name JASO MA rated oils with excellent reps a whole lot cheaper than $3.99 a quart. 

And remember, with two scooters he is gonna be killing over a gallon of oil for each scheduled oil change that he does, so yeah, cost does matter some.  And that huge 3 gallon jug begins to smell more like a convenient package sized one season oil supply for his two bikes .....

« Last Edit: 10/02/10 at 11:03:19 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #23 - 10/02/10 at 10:22:55

Nice looking bikes. Mine hasn't looked that good since it was a month old. Can't remember the last time my engine was shiny... Undecided

Anything you want to know about Savages you can find out here. Oh, the only changes since they premiered in 1986 have been minor. 5 speeds instead of 4, different turn siganl housings and 4 way flashers, different style CDI box, one piece seat instead of 2 piece (2 piece is better, you can throw the rear away and clean up the bike).

If you ride year round, run 10W winter oil, 20W summer oil, or 15W year round. Doesn't matter, as long as there is something in the crankcase it will be happy. If you are getting your filters from Whitney or Shadetree, order at least 4 at a time to justify the buttf'n on shipping. I get mine locally for $5 or so each, same Emgo filter the dealership repackages and sells for $10.

Have fun with them. When you want to get into cutting them up and making them truly yours, I'll be around. Mine is on its 5th or so major revamp. Welcome to the loony bin.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 10/02/10 at 11:16:46

#3 oil man here Vergys says you under fill your oil,#2 oil man Old Fellow says you over fill your oil,#1 oil man BILL67 says you fill it like Suzuki says,Between the lines.I wished #3 oil man and #2 oil man could get their Sh!t together.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 10/02/10 at 11:32:35

I think he's referring to this ....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1283793450/25#25

.... and maybe also alluding to his last oil war or two (or three) where he wasn't at all successful on making his points, so instead he mushes it all together like it is some kind of conclusive pile of something or 'nother and flops it out on the table like it means something.  
It doesn't.

We are talking dino oils today ....

.... not stuff from two-three weeks ago (or even longer) on a completely different subject.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #26 - 10/02/10 at 11:46:47

Ha! And you thought Boofer was blowing smoke about oil questions.  Grin I use Suzuki oil that I buy from the dealer about a mile from me. It costs more but they treat all of their customers very well. I once had a repair that included a flatbed tow, a used part and almost an hours time and they charged me $8.50 for labor, nothing for the flatbed because the owner went and got my bike and nothing for the used part.  Smiley That,s why I pay $5.45 a quart for oil.  Wink

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #27 - 10/02/10 at 12:01:23

Personal loyalty because of good past service is a reason to do what you do -- but you understand it clearly and state it well.

Brand loyalty is a reason too I guess, but we can question if there is anything behind the image to make some oils cost 3-4 times more than test equivalent oils that actually do the same job.

Strange thoughts like "ya gotta go buy the very most expensive stuff you can find no matter how much it costs to ship it in to you" are jest strange -- after evaluating them factually you gotta question why folks hang on to them anyway after being dis proven.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #28 - 10/02/10 at 12:08:26

I've been evaluating Klotz for 40 years that good enough for me,you learn with age.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 10/02/10 at 12:20:08

Bull shooting again, Bill?   Did you hit him?  

Was he riding a snowmobile by any chance?

Klotz sold two stroke oils starting in 1960's and only started making a 4 stroke motor oil in the past 5 years.    

They lost their bread and butter market when the two stroke bikes finally dwindled away (curse you EPA) and they had to do something to continue to sell some $13 a quart synthetic oil.

Synthetic oil, Bill   --   not applicable to the current discussion.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:18:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Intro and oil filter question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.