Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Losing the ToolBox/Batter cover (Read 183 times)
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Losing the ToolBox/Batter cover
09/28/10 at 11:10:48

How it happens:

The cover (the prongs) is metal.  The battery box (the holes) is plastic.
Vibration will cause the metal prongs to eat away at the plastic holes, enlarging the holes, and eventually cracking the plastic.
Goodbye cover.

I caught mine before it departed, now I need to figure out a cure.

Best guess is to use some of the epoxy putty and fill the plastic holes back to the original size and shape.

I sure use a lot of that putty stuff!  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Losing the ToolBox/Batter cover
Reply #1 - 09/28/10 at 11:38:26

similar problem different cause...
I forgot to put the battery top cover back on when I worked on the carb.  Didn't need it cause I also left the tool box where I could always find it too.
So I was going on a trip and decided a pack of lousey tools is better than no tools... oh sh!t, no cover.  Scrounge for a bit and found a metal plate with a slot right where I needed it.  Bracket off of something.  No wife to complain about some niknak being hung on a wall so don't remember where it came from.   Grin  That and a flat head screw.  Been on there a month or two, suppose I should check it.   Huh

Oh and I bent down those stupid tabs on the box so they were tighter on the battery box lid.

WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 09/28/10 at 12:19:00

I lost mine on the day I bought my bike. At first I took some sheet metal and bent it to fit, then after that ripped off on the highway I bought a replacement cover, but decided it was better left off anyways.

Got a cheap fork bag, stuck my tools in there. eventually I ripped out my airbox and found that those metal tabs make a wonderful home for the CDI.

in my mind, if your bike is still running after something falls off, leave it off!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #3 - 09/28/10 at 15:01:16

spacepirates wrote on 09/28/10 at 12:19:00:
in my mind, if your bike is still running after something falls off, leave it off!

Haha, very true!

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/28/10 at 15:40:21

verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/10 at 11:38:26:
 Scrounge for a bit and found a metal plate with a slot right where I needed it.  Bracket off of something.  No wife to complain about some niknak being hung on a wall so don't remember where it came from.   Grin  

Ahhh.. thanks for the idea!  Couldn't find a niknak bracket, and I do have a wife that would be noisy about such.  Cut a piece of sheet metal so the edge would line up with where the slots used to be prior to enlargement and drilled a hole for the screw.  Put it between the batt box plastic and batt holder cover.   Screwed it down with the regular screw.. works fine!

Thanks dude!  Cheesy

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/28/10 at 18:44:41

I think the lesson here is
Its better to be the one with the harder prong.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 10/21/10 at 21:12:39

Yet another thing to attend to in my quest to make my Savage last as long as I will be riding (only about another 27 years or so).....sigh.

I hope this is the piece y'all are talking about:

Although I could see very little wear, I decided to apply the same fix I do to lots of things that are wearing from vibratory rubbing....and that is to apply UHMW polyethylene tape (I suggest the stuff with the "Super-Bond Adhesive") to the problem area:

Although you really can't see it in the photo, I looped the tape all the way through the rectangular holes and to the underside of the chromed plastic bracket.

Well, tape in hand, I looked for other trouble spots.  Found one on the tool bag:

In particular, the metal snap on the plastic tool bag had been rubbing on something (not sure what, though).

A little of the magic tape, a (admittedly ragged and sloppy) trim job, and I'm back in business:

End of problem, real or imagined.

Thanks for the heads-up, youz!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:20:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Losing the ToolBox/Batter cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.