Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Politicians and experience (Read 172 times)
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Politicians and experience
09/28/10 at 05:53:39

There is a headline article in our local newspaper this morning about the Obama administration's response to and dealing with the BP oil spill last spring and into the summer.

While the world as we know it didn't end, as predicted by some who are always fearing that the sky will fall, the spill did do tremendous economic damage to that region of the country.

A special Whitehouse investigative commission has concluded that the administration failed miserably in dealing with it, especially during the early weeks.  The author of the committee's report likend the response to Custer's last stand - horribly underestimating what they were were dealing with.

To me, this comes from the people at the top, and their total lack of experience in engineering, business, disaster response, and dealing with grave matters.  Obviously, the top of the administration is the Pres. himself.  GWB was personally blamed for the poor Katrina response - let's see if the mainstream media do the same now to Obama - I doubt they will.

But the essence of the problem is that fact that we elected a good man, of that I have no doubt; but a man who had not even managed a lemonade stand in the real world.

You can have all of the desire for "hope and change" that you want, but a rookie will always be a rookie.

When you vote this year, regardless of your party affiliation, please think about the value of real experience.  I castigate those of my own conservative leanings who are Tea Partiers, who think that we need to throw out the incumbents who know how to manage our budget, our foreign policy, and our country in general in favor of rookies who know little if anything about the real worlds of business and politics.  Likewise, those on the left of similar feelings are equally naive.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Politicians and experience
Reply #1 - 09/28/10 at 06:01:19

How could rookies do any worst than it has been in the last 10 years,The old timers got us in a supid war,They say we won ,what did we win,What will we win in afgan when they say we win. Only thing we won is the biggest debt in the world.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - 09/28/10 at 06:06:04

Bill -

Anyone can make a mistake, but you, of all people, know the value of experience.

As a builder, did you turn a bricklayer who was working his first day on the job loose to build a complicated wall?  Same for an electrician or plumber?

If you need a coronary bypass, do you want to be the first one done by a newly minted doctor?

My post was politically neutral as to parites - it just advocated valuing experience.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 09/28/10 at 06:13:38

In the building business if you don't do go work your out of a job,within days.There millions of good constuction workers theres not millions of good congress people,And they don't get fired if the make mistakes.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/28/10 at 06:26:59

Sorry, Jerry, but these experienced people have performed in a manner that would have gotten them fired., Ill put a rookie in & see what happens at this point. Govt isnt suppoed to require such grand experience. If the Founding Fathers had created a govt so cumbersome that it required people have years of experience to run it,, well,, they didnt,, so, since thats what govt has become, instead of finding pros to run it, lets just pare it down to size, so rookies can run it w/o running aground.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/28/10 at 06:37:05

JOG -

Comparing the gov't of the late 1700s to today's is just about like comparing life and society then to what we experience now.

Gov't in 1790, for instance, was a part-time job for legislators.  Life in general was so slow and lethargic that the work load of a Congressman was light.

But other things about what the founding fathers invented have changed dramatically.  The Electoral College was invented because they did not trust the judgment of the common man to elect a Pres.  In those days, electors weren't pledged to a candidate - you literally voted for intelligent, experienced people who would then gather in the Electoral College, and use their "superior" judgment, intellect and experience to elect the Pres.  How many of us would go back to that today?

Most of the founding fathers would roll over in their graves at the idea of females voting - everyone knew in the 1700s that women weren't smart enough to be trusted to vote <g>.

Such examples could go on and on.  To pretend today that we can have a Congress of part-timers, or rookies, or Davy Crocketts, who ride out of their farm fields for a few months every two years, gather in Washington, do the nation's business in a few months, and then go back home is pure folly.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/28/10 at 07:02:53

GWB had experience right?  didn't he run every company he managed to the edge of bankruptcy?  and his governership of texas had some bad reporcussions too right?

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/28/10 at 07:22:10

LA -

Don't know, but didn't his main endeavor in business, the baseball team do alright?  I don't mean that they won the Series, but didn't they run profitably?

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/28/10 at 09:51:01

speaking of experience, too many politicians have no real world experience with business, all they are capable of saying is "There ought to be a law", and either don't realize the repercussions of said actions or don't care.

for example, the ban on incandescent light bulbs, the last domestic manufacturer just closed its doors and we are supposed to just blindly buy flickering, mercury filled lights from China cuz we need a green economy.  WHo wants to contaminate your fridge or oven?  

cash for clunkers, millions of decent cars were taken off the road supposedly to reduce gas consumption, yet the rules allowed such marginal improvements in mileage (I think the Ford F150 was one of the most popular buys) that the net result was minimal savings but huge expenditures in the energy to produce the new cars and the reduced supply of used cars drove up the prices of the remaining ones.

moratoriums on oil drilling, somehow it makes sense to DC that we place huge expanses of dry land in North America off limits to drilling.  Drill rigs in the North Gulf of Mexico are being towed to the South Gulf of Mexico where they will drill in even deeper water.  Not to mention the Billions in loans to Petrobras for exploration.  huh?

regulations on businesses, one section of the health care bill requires businesses to send 1099's to any supplier for more than $600 of purchases, gotta get the $ after all.  Based on that a trucking company could send 1099's to truck stops across the country.  This study says that the cost per emplyee for small firms is more than $7,600 per person. http://www.sba.gov/advo/research/rs264tot.pdf

hearings, what business does congress have with baseball players and steroids?  Correct me if i am wrong but lying in con-gress is part of the job description but lying too con-gress is an offense.

more ethanol in gas, drives up corn and food prices (remember the protests in Mexico a few years ago) and gives lower fuel economy but raise the CAFE standards. classic gubmint double whammy.

yep, we need more people with real world experience and common sense.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/28/10 at 17:53:09

How much experience does it take to FOLLOW THE RULES? They sweep the rules under the rug when theres a piece3 of legisl;ation that the globalists want. The clock gets stopped & arms twisted, money paid out,,
We need our state reps APPOINTED again.
We need accountability.
The people are frustrated & tired,
The man who drowns doesntt drown due to apathy, he wears out & cant struggle against the unchanging pull of gravity any more.Why should anyone be expected to continue to work toward something that is no closer now than it was 20 years ago in spite of having worked as hard as possible?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 09/28/10 at 18:12:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/28/10 at 17:53:09:
The man who drowns doesn't drown due to apathy,...

I do,... I never learned to swim... Huh...

... but as far as experience,... it seems like most professional politicians learn how to be corrupt more than anything else...

Even though I disgree with John McCain, I did respect his independent thinking... until he ran for President and went pandering for votes... now he's in trouble in his primary and flipped again...
The guy's a wet fish... shoulda' retired with dignity 2 years ago...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #11 - 09/29/10 at 04:52:55

Serowbot -

I get a little tired of this carping about politicians and teh judicial system being corrupt.

First, the judicial system.  I've been a trial lawyer since 1975, some 35 years.  Frankly, we've been involved in lots of high dollar cases, where plaintiffs have sought millions of dollars.  I have never seen a single dime offered or accepted inappropriately.

As for politicians - yes, there are some low lifes, as in any profession or occupation.  Primarily, the graft of which you speak typically occurs at the local level in small towns, such as the revelation last week about the scumbags in that small town near Los Angeles who bled the town's coffers dry with ridiculous salaries.

When moving up the ladder, the instances become fewer.  In Congress there have been a few, a very few cases of graft or corruption.  Of the 535 members of the House and Senate, maybe one or two every few years will turn to the dark side.  That kind of percentage isn't much different than docs who cheat on their billings, cops who become criminals, and all of the other jobs in which a very minute percentage go bad.

And their is no guarantee that rookies are any different.  Some people will always be crooks - I know of no profession where all are honest.  Too bad, but it's just the nature of mankind that some will cheat.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #12 - 09/29/10 at 06:42:53

Was watching "Shallow Hal" last night.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just look at someone and see their inner beauty (or ugliness) and know if they were good or bad?  Yea, but we can't.  We have to rely on experience.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/29/10 at 07:08:44

I can just look at Sarah Palin and see the inner beauty. Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #14 - 09/30/10 at 13:19:14

"You can have all of the desire for "hope and change" that you want, but a rookie will always be a rookie."

Umm, so Jerry is that why you were so adament about electing Palin as VP a couple of years ago?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 00:05:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › Politicians and experience

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.