Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
first bike - cold weather coming - do's & dont (Read 255 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
first bike - cold weather coming - do's & dont
09/24/10 at 11:36:25

To All experienced riders:

Please advise what I should and should not do with the bike during cold weather.

I plan to ride it everyday that the temp is 40F or more and dry......

how long is too long to let it set without at least firing it up and letting wqarm up in the garage even if i dont ride it?

I have a battery charger to keep it fully charging while not riding for extended periods more than 2 or 3 days.

is there anything special i need to do to it in order to ride in cold weather?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Re: first bike - cold weather coming - do's & dont
Reply #1 - 09/24/10 at 11:52:03

I'm in the same boat I ride if there's no precipitation and if it's above 40F. I do not have a garage so I have to keep it outside in NY, so when the weather is too harsh, I cover it when it snows, keep the battery on charge, put some stabil in the tank. When spring comes, I do an oil change. I park in my driveway and I dont like how I lose air in the tires though, I wonder if putting some cardboard in between asphalt and tires would make a difference.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 09/24/10 at 12:26:00

I've left mine without even starting it for 2 weeks or more.  Never had a problem (garaged).  Used a battery tender jr once last winter, not even sure I needed it.  Didn't ride from late November (I think) until March 7th this year.  I also didn't use any stabil or do anything else special.  I'm lazy.  But at least I can confirm that it didn't seem to do any harm to my bike for 3 months of not riding.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #3 - 09/24/10 at 12:35:58

Didnt do anything on my previous bike either, slept outside all winter.
Wondering if the cold of a NY winter could be harmful though.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 09/24/10 at 12:39:11

except for the toy run i dont ride below 40*
keep the bike in the carriage house every week or so when not riding will go out and fire her up (oil up to temp)never have used the tender,
besides good reason to sit out w/ couple brews fight the cabin fever!!

insure you check your electrolite levels if using a tender

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 09/24/10 at 13:16:49

weracerc

I live in Washington, so I am about where you are.  I usually ride a couple of days a week, like you when the weather is not too bad.  I basically did nothing excpet ride my bike during the winter.  Last winter was more wet and cold, wet especially and I did not ride quite as much, but I had no problems.

I guess common sense, ride as much as you can, keep an eye on things like any other time of year.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/24/10 at 13:30:21

I left mine 4 1/2 months in garage,Sea Foam in the tank started right up no charger or tender.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 09/24/10 at 14:20:34

I kept mine in an unheated garage. It has gotten to -40 for short periods, and usually below 0 for most of Nov. to the end of March. I never used a battery tender. I would go out and run the bike for 15 minutes every other week to keep the battery charged and move the oil around. If it was really cold out, I wouldn't boter to start it. I think I went for 3 weeks once without starting it. I made sure the battery fluid was topped up and put some feul stabilizer in a full tank of gas when I parked it for the winter. It never failed to start.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 09/24/10 at 22:31:59

above 40 and dry? get some winter gear! i think the coldest ride i've done is 17 and dry. couldn't move my hands for a solid hour after though.

the bike can sit for a long time, just be aware that if it is a really long time you might need a bit of help starting it again (sea foam and a bit of patience maybe).

if your battery is questionable after sitting for 2-3 days, get a big crank. i went through two months of having to push start my bike in the cold because it wouldn't start below a certain temp.

if you ride for a long time in 40 degree weather, get better gloves, or hand covers for your handlebars. that, or learn to "hug the jug", which is to say when your hands get cold, grab the engine!

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/24/10 at 22:55:47

do change the oil before you stop riding it for the season.
do put stabil in the gas tank and (assuming you have the stock vacuum petcock) go for a 5 mile ride.
If you've switched to the Raptor petcock, turn the fuel off and let it idle until it runs out then drop the float bowl and pour out the last ounce or so of gas.
do (with stock battery) remove the battery and store it inside on something. Don't just set it on the cold garage floor. Put it on some cardboard or a block of wood or something. Give it a charge once every 2 weeks or so. If you've got a Big Crank battery, screw it. Do whatever.

Don't start it and let it just idle a few minutes and put it away again. If you're going to start it ride it and get it up to temp and burn off any water thats accumulated.

Depending on where you live, do plug the airbox snorkle and the end of the muffler with something. Its not uncommon for critters to nest in bikes over the winter.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 09/25/10 at 21:34:30

Arnold wrote on 09/24/10 at 11:52:03:
I'm in the same boat I ride if there's no precipitation and if it's above 40F. I do not have a garage so I have to keep it outside in NY, so when the weather is too harsh, I cover it when it snows, keep the battery on charge, put some stabil in the tank. When spring comes, I do an oil change. I park in my driveway and I dont like how I lose air in the tires though, I wonder if putting some cardboard in between asphalt and tires would make a difference.

IMHO what you can get away with depends on how long it sits, how cold it gets, and the condition/age of your battery when you store it. We have mild winters here when compared to some of you. I am afraid of ice, so I also ride only above 40F. I sold auto tires for a long time, and the conventional wisdom is to not let them sit in dirt for extended lenghts. And if you can get them completely off the ground it is preferred. An auto tire will lose about 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of air a month through the sidewalls (Tubeless) whether running or sitting. I hook to my RV trailer and move it across the yard at least once during the winter to help prevent flat spots. And yes, tires do flat spot slightly even with the great compounds and manufacturing we have today. But the spotting is gone after a mile or two of rolling down the road. One thing I do RECOMMEND is something I learned a year or 2 ago. Store your bike and mowers, etc on the compression stroke to help keep moist air out of the cylinder.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #11 - 09/26/10 at 06:45:44

I always park mine in first and push it until it locks. This winter, I'll park it outside on asphalt on thick cardboard in hoping to minimize flat spots.

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #12 - 09/27/10 at 05:41:24

weracerc -

If you are going to ride every day it gets above 40 in NC you probably don't need to do anything special (i think you'll be riding more than not). A couple of recommendations I would make are these: If you don't already have rain gear, get some and carry it with you. Dress so that you feel warm. I'm not sure I would recommend electric gear on a Savage, but polypropylene, and other fabrics are your friend. From the tips of your toes to the top of your head. If you're warm, it's amazing how nice riding in the winter feels.

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #13 - 09/27/10 at 05:50:10

so i guess it all boils down to how harsh the winter is in your area - here it is usually fairly mild with some teens and may a few near 0 days but rarely ever a below 0 and moderate precipitation....most mornings will be high 20's low 30's and get up to low 40's.....i rode my bicycle once when it was 29F and clear day layered up pretty good on the clothes (or so i thought)...got 3 miles out and figured this was a bad idea (usually rode 28 miles)...by tthe time i got back to the house little over 6 miles - "man-land" was frozen and quite painful....got the heating pad and blankets out and tried to slowly thaw out the beans and frank - did not want to try to explain how i let that happen to an ER nurse.....eventually it thawed and i had no permanant damage to the region.....but i dont plan on repeating that experience so 40F is my new riding number.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #14 - 09/27/10 at 05:51:58

What about the freaking leaves, where I am in NY the darn trees already are starting to hit me in the face with theirs.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 06:27:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first bike - cold weather coming - do's & dont

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.