Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil Oil ever where! (Read 230 times)
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Oil Oil ever where!
09/24/10 at 07:43:00

So I have been fiddling with Bonnie (my '00 savage) for a week tryin to get her to start up. Turns out I just needed to tighten up the connection on the ignitor box. Then this morning I fired her up to ride to work and she would not stop backfiring. After she warmed up she started to sound a lot better. I started the ride and on each de-acceleration there was a few loud backfires. It was not running like this before today.
     Then about 3 miles from home I felt a warm liquid running down my leg. I checked and no I had not peed on myself.  Grin Then I looked over the side of the bike and saw oil streaming out of the crankcase breather hose filter. I have removed my air-box and ran the breather hose over the top of the engine  and back out the front so it sits right by my left knee. I have put 1000 miles on the bike since I removed the air-box and started running this setup and have never had a problem with oil finding its way out of the hose. I immediately turned around and limped home paying very close attention to the sound of the engine in case it started to seize up or run too hot.
    I am clueless, any suggestions as to what the problem is or what the troubleshooting steps might be. I am almost to the point of total rebuild. I dont want to go that way because I just finished a rebuild 1000 miles ago.

IP Logged
Lupo

Re: Oil Oil ever where!
Reply #1 - 09/24/10 at 07:55:29

Overfilled the oil? You didn't mention smoke out the exhaust which could mean a broken ring or burned piston which causes increased crankcase pressure.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #2 - 09/24/10 at 08:04:28

I have not changed the oil in a few hundred miles or so. Also I did not notice any smoke out of the exhaust. I have a very free flowing short muffler with a  homemade baffle so if there had been smoke it would have been noticeable soon.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #3 - 09/24/10 at 08:43:11

Check your valves. Exhaust valve may have backed off. The only other thing I can think is an oil return port has clogged.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/24/10 at 09:37:27

Lupo wrote on 09/24/10 at 08:43:11:
Check your valves. Exhaust valve may have backed off. The only other thing I can think is an oil return port has clogged.

Oil return is the cam chain well.
And the oil breather is from the top of that well.

Check your sparkplug.
How long has it been sitting?

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 09/24/10 at 09:51:09

The spark plug is brand new out of the box NGK. I put in a new spark plug yesterday when I was having trouble starting it up. It has been sitting for about 1-1/2 months. Too long

So if the drain at the bottom of the cam chain well gets plugged is it possible that the oil would fill the well to the point that it flows freely from the breather? Also, is it possible to check without pulling the engine head?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/24/10 at 10:07:32

idle jet probably gummed up, add a little seafoam to the tank or take it apart and clean it.  That should take care of the idle pops.
Other than that, check the other electrical connections and hope for the best.

WWW   IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #7 - 11/23/11 at 06:38:45

Holy thread revival batman!!

Since this happened last year I have decided to do a frame off resto. I am almost done and things are looking pretty good. I have gotten a lot of inspiration since then due to the large number of exceptional RYCA builds. However, when i took the engine apart I could not find a darn thing that would cause oil to come out of the crankcase breather and I am wondering if I missed something. The last thing I want is to put everything back together and have the same thing happen again.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 11/23/11 at 07:28:29

Oil level !
I never read anywhere that the oil level had been checked and was w/in tolerance.
Just because you did not add oil, doesn't mean that the crankcase was not too full,....from fuel draining in, etc.

Otherwise, it was most likely compression getting into the crankcase, one way or tother.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 11/23/11 at 07:34:47

There should be a little wad of steel mesh under the head cover at the base of that oil breather outlet...  did it come dislodged?..
It's there, to collect oil mist and allow it to drip back down...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 11/23/11 at 07:39:20

The oil level was good, I rode several hundred miles since the last oil change with no problems. When I opened the motor everything appeared to be in good shape, wire mesh was there in the correct place. Is there some way for a significant amount of fuel to make its way into the crankcase? That would be the only thing I could think of raising the oil level enough.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 11/23/11 at 08:13:10

Gas in the oil?... Yup...
.. a sticky float,... or a leaky petcock vac diaphragm...

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #12 - 11/23/11 at 08:15:57

symptoms leading up to the oily mess could have resulted from a failing petcock. I have installed a raptor so if that was the case I should have it fixed.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 11/23/11 at 08:59:34

The savage is not made for seriously bumpy roads either.
A good bump could throw the oil up enough to get sucked up in the breather.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 11/23/11 at 10:13:22

Alrighty,...  Not burning oil,... so,... instead of finding the cause, let's fix the problem...
I'd try screwing some copper kitchen scrubber material into the breather hose, near the head end... that will do the same thing as the steel mesh in the head, but more... oil mist should gather on it, and drip back down... leave some room for breathing...
Worth a shot?... Huh...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:21:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Oil ever where!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.