SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: oil filter change
Reply #1 - 09/23/10 at 18:40:55

Easy ? Compared to what ?
Seems to me its a PITA compared to a spin on. Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 09/23/10 at 18:43:23

Good job!

I agree that it was easy (relatively speaking of course) I expected it to be much more difficult than it was, but thanks to the tutorial on here it was "easy."

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #3 - 09/23/10 at 18:56:19

Did you make sure and replace the fogarty bevel on the phreniated plebney? You'd be amazed at how many people forget to do that!   Cheesy

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #4 - 09/23/10 at 22:09:25

Where I live, the hardest part about the oil filter change was actually acquiring the filters! But it is a messy process. Nice to brag about dirty hands after the fact though.  Cool

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #5 - 09/23/10 at 22:14:50

Get a repair (maintenance) manual (Clymer) and do everything yourself. It's as much fun as riding.  Wink

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 09/24/10 at 02:41:20

Lupo wrote on 09/23/10 at 22:14:50:
Get a repair (maintenance) manual (Clymer) and do everything yourself. It's as much fun as riding.  Wink

Well, almost, but not quite!  Wink

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #7 - 09/24/10 at 07:16:06

I'm going to do my first filter change next week . Does the filter sit on a tube of some sort,and how can you tell when its seated properly? Thanks.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/24/10 at 08:23:17

Just watch as you take the old one off,And put it back the same way,Its really not very complicated.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #9 - 09/24/10 at 14:26:04

My C50 has a spin on oil filter.  It's between the frame and it too can be a PITA. There's not a lot of room to grab hold of it. Like most things, it's easy once you figure out how.
Kudos to you for "doing it yourself"!!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/25/10 at 07:53:48

I have several oil filter wrenches, most of them are a bit skippy, but they will work. I have one that is 1/2" drive with a strap, so itll get a spin on, from the end. I did mod it by getting rid of the plastic cap that retained the strap in its slot & replaced it with a piece of brass tubing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/25/10 at 08:37:17

The worst I ever had was a V star 1100. You had to remove the right foot peg and brake pedal assembly just to get at and remove the chrome covered pot metal cover that covered the filter cover so that you could remove the filter cover.  Then when you open the filter it was impossible to not have a flood of oil on the exhaust pipes which were so close together that it was difficult to wipe all the oil off when you were done.
You could buy an aftermarket kit that mounted a spin on filter out in front of the engine where it was vulnerable to rocks from the front tire or damage from road debris.
Yamaha really screwed the pooch when they came up with that one.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 09/25/10 at 20:08:58

Suzi, As far as an easy oil change, I say anything you can do while sitting on an upside down 5 gallon bucket with a few rags and 2 tools and a turkey roasing pan is pretty easy. (You neat freaks will probably want to use a funnel.)

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 09/26/10 at 19:07:22

Boofer,don' t you think the dark meat of a turkey  is oily enough naturally. Cheesy

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 09/26/10 at 19:16:55

Trippah wrote on 09/26/10 at 19:07:22:
Boofer,don' t you think the dark meat of a turkey  is oily enough naturally. Cheesy

Trippah, I am trying different oils  and spices for basting my turkey. It's a toss up between Castrol synthetic and Rotella T Dino. I have to say the Rotella does have an edge on a good golden crisp skin. Does anyone on here have a preference? OOOPS? Did I say that?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 02:30:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil filter change

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.