Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about enrichment valve (Read 145 times)
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Question about enrichment valve
09/22/10 at 17:02:08

If the enrichment valve is slowly going bad, will I need to keep turning the throttle stop screw farther and farther in every time I ride to keep it idling properly? I dam near got the thing bottomed out when cold and 1-1 1/2 turns back when warmed up. I never used to have to do that. It used to sit about 3-4 turns out all the time. Seems like ever since I had my float problems, I have to turn the screw way in to get it to idle when cold, and as it warms up the idle speed increases, so I then need to back it off some. Getting worse and worse every time I ride. I've rebuilt the carb 3 times in the last year.
How much is a new enrichment valve assembly?
(I wish the savage fairy would leave a brand new carb under my pillow.....)

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Question about enrichment valve
Reply #1 - 09/22/10 at 17:34:27

I'm not clear on the question... Is the problem with the enrichment valve (choke), or the idle speed screw?....
... or, are you talking about the idle mixture screw (right-side on carb)?....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #2 - 09/22/10 at 22:40:03

Shocked...yea, I saw this earlier and said, Undecided   pass.

about the only thing that came to mind was an air leak on the manifold but...

PS , if there is a Savage Fairy, I doubt you'll get him to admit it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/23/10 at 05:34:50

I have to fiddle with the idle speed adj. too, but its just for the first 15 or so minutes of a ride. I pull the "choke" 1/2 way out, get it fired up & ride about 5 minutes, shove Choke in & the idle is too low, so I jack it up a bit, as it warms up, idle comes up, so I back the screw off a bit, but its not a lot of twisting. Just a bit of a twist. Maybe youve got a jet backing out?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/23/10 at 09:54:18

OK--When starting cold--I pull "choke" all the way out, and turn idle speed screw in 2 turns, just to keep it running. My idle mixture screw is frozen in place. After about 2 minutes, I can push "choke" in and ride. Just like Justin's--after about 15 minutes of riding, I can back off the idle speed screw back to where it started. Usually about 2 turns. The idle speed seems to pick up as the engine warms up. Lately though, I've been having to turn the idle speed screw in further and further to where it's almost all the way in, just to keep it running.
I'm thinking that maybe when the "choke" is all the way in, it might be blocking the idle port somehow, thus causing me to have to turn in the idle speed screw, to up the idle speed.
Make more sense now?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/23/10 at 10:36:22

Okay,... I'm thinking your choke/enrichment valve isn't working ....
Pulling it out all the way, should bump up your idle speed quite a bit... if you are having to crank the idle screw as well, the choke isn't doing it's job...

Carb cleaning with special attention to the enrichment circuit...  

... a little variation in the idle speed as engine heats up is normal, but it should rarely require adjustment, if at all...

I doubt that I'm telling you anything that you didn't already suspect...  
... just dreading having to go through the carb again, huh?... Wink...
Best of luck...

You might check the enrichment circuit diaphragm on the opposite side to the choke,...  but if that puppie's leaking, it's a $45.00 part...
I think it's only supposed to work on decel, but if it's leaking, I don't know what happens...
http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687/PartNumber/13480-05A10/Source/SU

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/23/10 at 10:51:14

I assume mine is working like its supposed to, like this,.....
Choke out to start, then leave choke 1 notch out
It idles almost normally, only because 1 notch out on the choke is also a fast idle.
After a mile (or 5 min) or so I push it in all the way for a perfect idle.
I never touch the idle screws.

Of course, you know that you have something that is not operating correctly. I wish I could help you, other than tell you to clean the carb,....which you already did.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
longmi01
YaBB Newbies

Des Moines, IA
Reply #7 - 09/23/10 at 11:31:16

Have you played with the idle mixture screw?  This summer, I was having to do the idle speed adjustment on a daily basis before and after the bike was warmed up.  I finally just turned my mixture screw out a full turn, and that made everything much more stable through warm-up.  

I'm just thinking your bike is fuel starved at idle, and that's why you're having to open the butterfly to let the engine start sucking through the needle jet.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 09/23/10 at 11:34:43

longmi01 wrote on 09/23/10 at 11:31:16:
Have you played with the idle mixture screw?  This summer, I was having to do the idle speed adjustment on a daily basis before and after the bike was warmed up.  I finally just turned my mixture screw out a full turn, and that made everything much more stable through warm-up.  

I'm just thinking your bike is fuel starved at idle, and that's why you're having to open the butterfly to let the engine start sucking through the needle jet.

+1,.. maybe so,..good thinking... Wink...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 10:26:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about enrichment valve

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.