Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
modern times (Read 181 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
modern times
09/22/10 at 15:07:37

When I bought my Blackberry I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter. I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grandkids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-ul-ating."  You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead…well, it was not a good relationship.

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them in with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."  Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do toot a lot."

the world has overtook me and passing me by

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: modern times
Reply #1 - 09/22/10 at 15:15:13

Ahhh...

So it's not just me then... Wink...

Great rant!... I really enjoyed it... Grin....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #2 - 09/22/10 at 15:31:08

Know what you mean.

Used to love to go hunting or fishing to get away from it all and not be reachable. Now days i dont leave the house without the hated cell phone. Habit i got into while dad was down with strokes and now mom. I forget it and i have to turn around and go back for it or worry about WHO might try to reach me.

Didnt use to think anything about takeing a 500 mile journey without the cell or gps. Now i got to have the cell for emergencies and the gps to find my way. I do leave the gps off though unless i need to know where im at or which way to go...lol

And the cell phone and contracts???? Cr@P! All i need is voice and a good connection. I got a puter at home to surf the d@mn net, dont need to check google or anyone of a number of websites from my frigging phone! I just need a good dependable phone that gets good reception. A camera and gps does come in handy. But all the other garbage is just that, garbage. But i got to pay for it if i want to be able to TALK!
I busted my lil cr@p cell phones 'inside' screen the other day just by falling down in the yard. It was inside its lil protective case on my belt. Outside screen is fine????? Buying a new or used phone without a contract is PRICEY! So im still carrying my busted phone...lol Like one of the new convoys, Mil Spec.

Oh yeah, the gps. Got a real nice Startac phone i could use, 500 dollar phone. Except it dont have the gps chip in it so the govt can turn it on and see where your at anytime they want. Any phone you have now days has a gps chip in it the govt or cell company can turn on to see exactly where your at at any given time. Supposedly for YOUR safety. That dont set well with me. Shades of Big Brother!

Texting texting texting, everyones texting(except me!) Pay a big price for your contract and then pay extra to text. And why text when you can talk easier???????
Bad enough some nimrod runing down the road yacking about nothing but toss in a qwerty keyboard and let em text instead of talk while doing 70 down the road. Far as im cncerned ALL cell phones should have a motion sensor in them that disable them if your moveing faster then 15 mph. Cause an accident while on the cell phone you should get hit just as hard as drinking and driveing.

Oh yeah, brain cancer. People are heII on smokes but the fact that radiation from cell phone use can and does cause brain cancer dosent seem to bother people to much. Chastise and tax the heII out of smokers but get everybody and their kids on a cell phone. Dont make sense. Wolrds going to heII in a handcart anymore!

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/22/10 at 16:38:42

I was a very late bloomer I got my first cell phone this year, it is in the box it came in ,in my desk drawer,my daughter got me a gps,that sits next to my cell phone.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 09/22/10 at 17:05:51

When I went to Deals gap for the tail of the dragon run I had a GPS in the truck. Never plugged it in or turned it on. I had a couple crappy maps that i printed off mapquest and never had a problem. I got my 1st cell phone a couple years ago because my daughter got worried about me going off on the bike for hours on end. I hardly ever use it but it's there if I need it.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 09/22/10 at 17:42:14

I still don't have a cellphone.... but, whenever I'm more than an hour out of town, I have my buddy George riding his V-star with me... and he has one...
...and he has saddlebags,... those things are handy too...  Grin...

PS,.. I'm not a total leach,... I bought him the bags... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #6 - 09/22/10 at 17:50:50

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #7 - 09/22/10 at 19:59:51

I am glad to know I am not the only one that does not, text, twitter or face book. I was on face book for a short while yet never actually posted much or even cared if I did or not. I don't see what all the hoop is about it.
As far as texting, I see people of all ages walking around with their heads bent and fingers going crazy over the key pad. I enjoy being able to come and go without having to look at a screen each step I take.
I do have a cell phone and use it mostly for emergencies and an occassional call to a special friend now and then...  Wink  kim

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/22/10 at 23:00:16

kimchris1 wrote on 09/22/10 at 19:59:51:
I am glad to know I am not the only one that does not, text, twitter or face book. I was on face book for a short while yet never actually posted much or even cared if I did or not. I don't see what all the hoop is about it.
As far as texting, I see people of all ages walking around with their heads bent and fingers going crazy over the key pad. I enjoy being able to come and go without having to look at a screen each step I take.
I do have a cell phone and use it mostly for emergencies and an occassional call to a special friend now and then...  Wink  kim

I mean no disrespect Kim,but I think all women and girls should have a cell phone,in fact I would like to go one better, Surely (dont call me Shirley) in this day and age a company could come up with a device that needs just the press of a button to go direct to the police with your exact location , for use in dire situations, around here of late perhaps boys should have one as well. if it saves one abduction or rape it was worth it.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/23/10 at 05:06:13

Mick says...

I mean no disrespect Kim,but I think all women and girls should have a cell phone,in fact I would like to go one better, Surely (dont call me Shirley) in this day and age a company could come up with a device that needs just the press of a button to go direct to the police with your exact location , for use in dire situations, around here of late perhaps boys should have one as well. if it saves one abduction or rape it was worth it.  

Or, we could just let people defend themselves.. I know thats a radical idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #10 - 09/23/10 at 07:20:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/10 at 05:06:13:
Mick says...

I think Every Sane and Capapble Woman should have a Hand Gun on them.... Both of my daughters have been tought the proper use of them. ..... Double Tap to the chest then one to the head just to make sure you do not get sued... Protect your self.... at All Costs

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 09/23/10 at 08:36:35

Well, I'm gonna "somewhat" disagree.  I love my cell phone.  I don't have internet on it though, and don't surf the web from it, but hubby has an iPhone through his work, and it sure has come in handy alot of times.  I do text, with a limited number of people, but I refuse to Tweet or Facebook, or any of those websites.  SS.com is enuf connection to outside folk for me!  lol

And kel -- +1.  Good of you to teach your girls to shoot.  Hope they never need it, but better to know how.
Saw a local news story the other day about a couple with a small child, came home to find 2 robbers in their house in ski masks.  The man fought with one briefly, then shot him DEAD.  The other removed his mask, and it turned out they were "friends".  The couple had gotten money from some insurance settlement, the friends knew about it, and wanted drug money...  Now one is dead, other is in jail.  And no criminal charges filed against the homeowners!    

And Stimpy -- love the billboard!  What a hoot.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #12 - 09/23/10 at 09:58:06

Well as I said I do have a cell phone. It is with me at all times, especially on me morning walks here at my Mom's.
I have knowledge of firearms and have considered purchasing one for personal use as well.
No one matter whether male or female can never be too cautious. In todays world their are so many people trying to get something for nothing.
Years ago I lived alone in the country, no locks on my doors, no alarms other than my geese and dogs.. Best alarm you could ask for.
Now that I am a city gal seems everything is locked and has some kind of alarm.
One has to be on their toes at all times it seems.
So I will for now keep my cell phone charged and on me at all times when out and about..Smiley kim

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 09/23/10 at 11:06:37

Federal law requires that any operable cell phone be able to call the 911 center, with or without a contract. We have an outfit here called SASA (Spouse Abuse Sexual Assault, I think) which accepts old cell phones and programs them to call 911 on speed dial. They then give the phones to battered women. If you have an old cell phone you might check to see whether your area has such an organization.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #14 - 09/23/10 at 11:07:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/10 at 05:06:13:
Mick says...

Yes sir I can just see an 11 year old girl defending herself agaist a big bad guy,I guess her only hope would be to run and yell for help,if she can get away,
Get yourself a couple of daughters Jog,see how you feel about it then.

mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 23:58:56

General CategoryThe Cafe › modern times

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.