Send Topic Print
octane (Read 720 times)
suzukirider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: octane
Reply #30 - 09/26/10 at 13:27:08

I've been running high octane but after reading thru this thread, reading  what Suzuki recommends, I see no reason to continue paying the higher price.  I thought higher octane might keep it from back firing but that hasn't happened and the mileage is about the same.  It just seems to have good days (making all that noise cause it is so happy to be out on the road) and bad days I guess  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 09/26/10 at 13:37:46

Well if backfiring was what you needed to fix why didn't you say so...

Shutdown bang... 1/8 turn CCW of the idle mixture screw
Shutdown KERPOW... 1/4 turn CCW
Shift bang... check header bolts, muffler clamp or header gasket
Engine braking grumble pop... enjoy!

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #32 - 09/27/10 at 20:00:05

I didn't know I had the grumble pops, but I did know I enjoy them! I run 93 oct mostly. Started running it last spring in my mowers and weed eater, chainsaws on advice of people who use them for a living. Savage is slower. Other stuff runs smoother. Don't know why--just does. Grumble pops! I have a new word to aggravate my teen daughter when she gets gripey.    

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
RC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quartz Hill Ca.
Reply #33 - 09/27/10 at 20:27:48

87 Just like the Suzuki book tells us, more energy per unit you know,for the record my bike almost never backfires, by the way grumble pops are not backfires just a great  motor letting you know it's there. Love this ride for what it is.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #34 - 09/28/10 at 19:31:27

I was grumble popin' mine today. I like how when I get home and shut it down I get a Whooph from the exhaust. "My pipe tinks, therefore I am".

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #35 - 09/29/10 at 17:23:36

Using higher octane than 87 does two things for you.  1. Makes your wallet thinner.  2. Makes your bike get less mileage and possibly less power.

The only time using a higher octane would help is when there is something wrong with the bike and it detonates (pings) on lower octane.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 09/30/10 at 04:36:19

Some folks run premium during really hot weather

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #37 - 10/04/10 at 07:30:01

I switched from 89 to 87. First tank ... no change in mpg (50) or performance. We will see what the second tank brings.

I do get more backfires, obviously because of the change in the flash point of the fuel. These pipe farts consist of both pops and outright bangs. They occur when I disengage the clutch and roll free, when the engine is backing down from higher RPM to idle RPM. Lets the traffic know I am there. I am just a little bit concerned, however, that this backfiring behavior may damage something. I blew a glass pack right off my old hot rod nearly 50 years ago! Anybody think the backfires will harm the Suzy (06 S40)?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #38 - 10/04/10 at 07:48:54

Grumble pops won't hurt anything, and are normal in a big thumper....
Kerpoows!,.. gunshot crack type afterfires can blow out weak packing and exhaust gaskets, etc...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #39 - 10/04/10 at 08:09:30

Ah, well. I hear the carb screws on these bikes are plugged, so I would have to drill out the plug before I could adjust that ... at least that's what I hear. I have also heard that it is real easy to drill into the screw while drilling out the plug, and then you buy a new carb. I would tend to leave the mixture alone if I am keeping it stock, since the manufacturer seems to intend that it be mixed that way. My 150cc Kymco scooter did the pop-pop routine until a mechanic set the valves correctly. So, I wonder if the backfire on the Suzy could be caused by valve setting (bike runs great). I also wonder if the carb might be a little dirty. My bike sat up for a number of years before I bought it, with 1200 miles on it. Is is kosher to use some kind of carb/FI cleaner in the fuel? Wonder if that might help. I hear talk about Sea Foam, but I don't know what that is.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #40 - 10/04/10 at 08:23:29

Seafoam's very popular... some folks swear by it...
Give it a try...  I've tried it a few times but, never had luck with it... But many of the bikes I fool with have been sitting a year or more...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #41 - 10/04/10 at 08:25:50

J2 wrote on 10/04/10 at 08:09:30:
Ah, well. I hear the carb screws on these bikes are plugged, so I would have to drill out the plug before I could adjust that ... at least that's what I hear. I have also heard that it is real easy to drill into the screw while drilling out the plug, and then you buy a new carb. I would tend to leave the mixture alone if I am keeping it stock, since the manufacturer seems to intend that it be mixed that way. My 150cc Kymco scooter did the pop-pop routine until a mechanic set the valves correctly. So, I wonder if the backfire on the Suzy could be caused by valve setting (bike runs great). I also wonder if the carb might be a little dirty. My bike sat up for a number of years before I bought it, with 1200 miles on it. Is is kosher to use some kind of carb/FI cleaner in the fuel? Wonder if that might help. I hear talk about Sea Foam, but I don't know what that is.

J2, the adjuster is behind a plug, but it is not too hard to get it out.  I even did it, with no damage. (Ride out my way and we will drill that plug out, if you want.)  I have not heard anyone say the popping had anythign to do with the valves, but who knows.  It seems the consensus is our bikes run lean from the factory, to meet the EPA guidelines.  Carb cleaner would be fine, I am sure.  seafoam is a fuel additive, carb cleaner wonder product that some love  Cheesy and some hate Angry  It certainly won't hurt anything, you can get it from wal-mart or about any other parts place.  I have used it through my bike, maybe it helped a little, i think so, but that is just my perception.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #42 - 10/04/10 at 08:27:40

Hey, I just made serious thumper status! Cheesy

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
J2

To discover, you
must lose sight of
the shore

Raleigh, North Carolina
Reply #43 - 10/04/10 at 08:49:04

Thanks for the info. Washington NC would be a nice ride from Raleigh. Might take you up on that.

For all yall who don't speak Nawth Karolinian, we be awl good neighbors rown heah ... just like Andy ... and the county mounties are just like Barney. Yall come see us, ya heah!

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #44 - 10/04/10 at 12:58:51

J2 wrote on 10/04/10 at 08:49:04:
Thanks for the info. Washington NC would be a nice ride from Raleigh. Might take you up on that.

For all yall who don't speak Nawth Karolinian, we be awl good neighbors rown heah ... just like Andy ... and the county mounties are just like Barney. Yall come see us, ya heah!

Cool! Yeah, it's a Nawth Karolina thang!

prechermike   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:23:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › octane

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.