No Clutch (Read 34 times)
jgadsby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

No Clutch
09/21/10 at 10:35:03

Hi Ladies and Gents,

My name is Jay Gadsby. I bought a Suzuki Boulevard S40  in April. I have only put around 500 miles on it due to time restrictions (I am in the Army and not always home). I know she is due her first service, I intend to find out exactly what that entails soon ( I am a mechanic, car type, but will figure it out Wink ) But for now, I am having a rather annoying issue. There is no clutch. The cable pulls, is tight and moves the lever on the case, but doesnt engage. I dont know a lot of wet clutch systems, so maybe I am overlooking something. The oil was a little low in the crankcase, I added a little oil and that didnt help. Is there a separate fill for the tranny? Symptoms are- Clutch depressed running, try to go into gear, stalls out. Not running, clutch depressed, the bike in gear, roll forward or reverse and it binds. Any help would be awesome!! Thanks!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: No Clutch
Reply #1 - 09/21/10 at 11:05:08

If the kickstand is down and you put the bike in gear,it will "stall" (die, quit running, whatever)  That's a safety feature.  Makes no difference if the clutch is engaged or not.

"Binds" is a relative term.
You can't roll it at ALL with the clutch pulled in and in gear?  That's bad.
If it is hard to roll, but rolls anyway (without turning over the engine), that is normal.  It is a wet clutch and will bind some if the engine is not running.

To check the clutch.
1. Start bike in neutral.
2. Put kickstand up.
3. Pull in clutch.
3.5 HANG ON!!!
4. Put in gear.
If it takes off on you.. you got a problem!! Besides losing control of the bike..  
Oh yeah.. Step ZERO.  sit on the bike to do the test.

P.S.  I little surge forward is normal if you just started the bike.  The clutch isn't wet enough yet.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: No Clutch
Reply #2 - 09/21/10 at 11:38:26

Tranny shares oil with the engine and clutch.

Oil level is checked with the bike held veritcal, or you may concider to the bottom of the window on kickstand as acceptable over fill level.

Clutch adjustment, you should have about an 1/8" freeplay between the lever and the perch.  There are also 2 marks on the case behind the clutch lever on the tranny.  The lever should be between those 2 marks.

and all that yg said is right on.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:28:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Clutch

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.