Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What's up w/"tubeless" Dunlop 404's? (Read 159 times)
carlostheobscure
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

What's up w/"tubeless" Dunlop 404's?
09/20/10 at 10:32:39

Noticed today that the Dunlop 404's my motorcycle mechanic put on my S40 w/stock spoked wheels states "tubeless" on the side  I've already put 1,200 miles on these wheels w/no leakage (or w/out dying from a blowout), but I'm confused - how is it possible to use tubeless tire on a spoked rim?

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Re: What's up w/"tubeless" Dunlop 404's?
Reply #1 - 09/20/10 at 10:52:24

By using tubes in them. Almost all m/c tires are rated for tubeless use now. Cool

There are ways to seal your spoked rim so you can go tubeless but none I would recommend. Undecided

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/20/10 at 11:26:02

Refers to the sizing and construction of the tire bead, and just about allows them to be run flat.

WWW   IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/21/10 at 13:51:32

verslagen1 wrote on 09/20/10 at 11:26:02:
Refers to the sizing and construction of the tire bead, and just about allows them to be run flat.

Yep, stiffer sidewall and reinforced bead area. Dunlop 404 aught ta work good on that light bike...they suck on my Sporty.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/21/10 at 14:08:51

Stiff sidewalls are going to be hard riding on any bike,I would say worst on a light bike

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/22/10 at 20:14:18

bill67 wrote on 09/21/10 at 14:08:51:
Stiff sidewalls are going to be hard riding on any bike,I would say worst on a light bike

thats what shocks are for. I got rid of the Dunlops on my sporty. Replaced them with Avons...what a difference in handling! Anyway, run abot 8lbs less air pressure and it will soften up.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #6 - 09/22/10 at 22:09:13

Years ago I had a very dangerous blow out on a rear. The inside of the tube was chaffed where it was evidently rubbing the rim strip. About a 4" line blew and required 6 or 8 patches to repair so I could continue home from a trip. I've since learned, if the air pressure is too low in a tubed tire the tube squirms back and forth causing the chaffing. Air pressure should always be checked regularly. I now run my tube tires at 31-33 front and 34-41 rear depending on load. Keep the tires tight and as the previous post stated "that's what shocks are for".

Speaking of shocks.  Mr. Quinn at this place http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com will work with you on the phone and deliver just what you need. I got the cheap shocks but for my specs and am very happy. Check it out ( nothing in it for me other then knowing he'll be there in the future ).

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/23/10 at 06:13:12

einheit13 wrote on 09/22/10 at 20:14:18:
bill67 wrote on 09/21/10 at 14:08:51:

thats what shocks are for. I got rid of the Dunlops on my sporty. Replaced them with Avons...what a difference in handling! Anyway, run abot 8lbs less air pressure and it will soften up.

You don't need to run 8lbs less air pressure,Thats what shocks are for.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/23/10 at 14:09:52

Ouch!  I meant to work some of the stiffness out of the side wall.

IP Logged
einheit13

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/23/10 at 14:18:50

Lupo wrote on 09/22/10 at 22:09:13:
Years ago I had a very dangerous blow out on a rear. The inside of the tube was chaffed where it was evidently rubbing the rim strip. About a 4" line blew and required 6 or 8 patches to repair so I could continue home from a trip. I've since learned, if the air pressure is too low in a tubed tire the tube squirms back and forth causing the chaffing. Air pressure should always be checked regularly. I now run my tube tires at 31-33 front and 34-41 rear depending on load. Keep the tires tight and as the previous post stated "that's what shocks are for".

Speaking of shocks.  Mr. Quinn at this place http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com will work with you on the phone and deliver just what you need. I got the cheap shocks but for my specs and am very happy. Check it out ( nothing in it for me other then knowing he'll be there in the future ).

Then your tire must have been way low on pressure. I've ridden my hard tailed Triumph all over this country with 20psi in the rear tire for a little comfort. Other than side wall cracking (not dry rot) I have yet to have a tube give up because of that. Once the tire is beaded, the tube doesn't move except for heat expansion or the tire slips on the rim because the it is too low on air. When I was drag racing I used to srew the tire to the rim and run 8 psi on an Avon sport tire, but I used a GOOD tube....the ones with extra rubber in the rim area.

IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #10 - 09/23/10 at 15:06:08

You can run 5# if you'd like. This is America. I'm passing on an experience I had that changed how I do tire management. Oh yea, the bike was a CX100 Le Mans Moto Guzzi with excellent rubber and on the last leg of a long tour two up, about 30 years ago. Just thought I'd put that out since you want to throw resumes around. Cheers!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 12:21:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What's up w/"tubeless" Dunlop 404's?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.