Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about aftermarket footpeg replacement? (Read 212 times)
nybot
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Question about aftermarket footpeg replacement?
09/19/10 at 16:37:25

Just got a '06 S40 and the left, front footpeg is bent and needs to be replaced.

I was just going to order an OEM replacement, but I am thinking about going aftermarket. I've taken the stock ones off to get a feel for what I need and I haven't found aftermarket adapters or pegs that have the same mount.

I've been to lots of sites like bikebandit.com, cruisercustomizing.com and they show something really similar to the back peg mount, but it doesn't have the same "lip" as the front.

Maybe that lip doesn't matter, but I don't want to order them and they not work out...... It seems like they would eventually start to sag.  Undecided

Any help would be much appreciated!

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Question about aftermarket footpeg replacement
Reply #1 - 09/19/10 at 17:20:24

these are kind of expensive but they look nice. I was gonna order a set for myself but haven't yet. If you get some we'd all like to see the pics and hear if you like them or not.

AL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350190983237&vi...

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 09/19/10 at 17:29:19

The previous owner swapped my original pegs for the following after market ones. After looking at them, I think he cut the original one's mounting bracket so this style peg would fit. I am currently looking for replacements since the left one sags some with where he drilled the hole in the mounting bracket.

Right Peg

Left Peg

Left Peg Sagging

From the front you can see the left peg sagging. Just kind of bother's me, and the all metal pegs offer more vibrations than I would like. (Left peg is in the right hand side of this picture)

I'm currently in the market for replacements too, and am looking at a Kuryakyn style peg similar to this, but will probably have to redrill the hole to make it work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380163719338&vi...

Let me know if you find an aftermarket peg that works well...

(these look like the same ones AL posted, but MUCH, MUCH Cheaper - provided you can redrill yourself them as needed)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
nybot
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - 09/19/10 at 17:42:27

I've seen these, but they appear to have the same mount as others I've seen. They look like the back peg mounts.

I tried to just put one of the rear ones on the front for the time being, but it doesn't stay horizontal. It just droops down....

Did he cut off part of the original peg and bolt the aftermarket one to it?

« Last Edit: 09/19/10 at 21:37:19 by nybot »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/20/10 at 08:06:36

Any pegs must have the lip that goes under the mount, or it isn't going to be in a stable positive horizontal position. Thats the hardest part of building forward controls,...building the new mount to fit the OEM pegs correctly.

I have fixed a couple of broken savage pegs w/o much trouble.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #5 - 09/21/10 at 10:55:28

ok so i have factory pegs - and the left one is pretty "floppy" the right one has some play in it - which is normal either or neither? and how can get the "floppies" out of the left one id rather it be fairly rigid or is that the wrong approach?

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/21/10 at 11:45:41

weracerc wrote on 09/21/10 at 10:55:28:
ok so i have factory pegs - and the left one is pretty "floppy" the right one has some play in it - which is normal either or neither? and how can get the "floppies" out of the left one id rather it be fairly rigid or is that the wrong approach?

Is mr. floppy the same as the other?
rubber the same, has a wear plate, etc.?
If you take out the retaining bolt, when the peg comes out there is a clip with a piece of rubber on it.  Maybe mr. floppy is missing that.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/21/10 at 11:50:59

nybot wrote on 09/19/10 at 17:42:27:
I've seen these, but they appear to have the same mount as others I've seen. They look like the back peg mounts.

I tried to just put one of the rear ones on the front for the time being, but it doesn't stay horizontal. It just droops down....

The front pegs have a tang on the bottom to provide alignment.  But a non tangged peg like the rear can be uses.  HD pegs have to be drilled out to fit our retaining bolt.  If you match drill (hold the peg a little above level while inserted into the mount and drill) they can be made to work.

WWW   IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #8 - 09/21/10 at 12:51:40

check this drawing - you are saying either number 6 or number 10 has a rubber foot on it (supposed to?) neither of mine do 6 or 10

http://cheapcycleparts.com/model_years/4286-suzuki-1996-savage-LS650P/assembl...

mr floppy solved...at least for the bike.....nope blue pills dont work on the other mr floppy....i know TMI!..sorry

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/21/10 at 13:08:54

No.10 should have a little rubber pad on it.

WWW   IP Logged
nybot
YaBB Newbies

Austin, TX
Reply #10 - 09/21/10 at 16:55:44

verslagen1 wrote on 09/21/10 at 11:50:59:
nybot wrote on 09/19/10 at 17:42:27:

The front pegs have a tang on the bottom to provide alignment.  But a non tangged peg like the rear can be uses.  HD pegs have to be drilled out to fit our retaining bolt.  If you match drill (hold the peg a little above level while inserted into the mount and drill) they can be made to work.

To me, (and I'm no expert by any means), it looks like the tang is what keeps the peg from moving past horizontal and on the back, the mount itself is what stops the peg...?

At any rate, I wound up finding a used peg and linkage with kickstand for $40 on eBay... (cheaper than a new peg by itself)   Smiley

I really do appreciate all the advice.

« Last Edit: 09/21/10 at 21:03:48 by nybot »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question about aftermarket footpeg replacement?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.