Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally, a bike to ride! (Read 202 times)
7 Mary 3
YaBB Newbies

Just this guy, you
know?

Augusta, ME
Finally, a bike to ride!
09/19/10 at 13:32:46

I haven't posted much here because I've had no news to post. The rebuild of the 86 Savage my gf and I picked up a couple of years ago ended in disaster. After finally getting it together, started, and running, it broke down 10 minutes around the road and "let the magic smoke out." Compression is 40psi, just like when we got it.  It was the most expensive and time consuming 10 minute ride ever. Sad  My GS1100L has had problems, too, so I've done practically no riding this year.

One thing leads to another, I said the right thing at the right time, and yesterday I rode home an 01 Savage, fully operational, and got a heck of a deal from someone I knew in high school, the widow of the previous and original owner. Sad It's a sad story, but it's gone to a good home, which makes everyone happy.

I rode it about 150 miles from Mass. to home in Maine yesterday.  My hands went numb from riding on the interstate! Grin  It'll handle 65-70 just fine, but the vibration was a bit much for me.  Once we were on the secondary roads I had a much better time at 50-55.  I did have a scare when the engine died suddenly - just like the 86 did, but without the smoke!  But when I switched to reserve it came back to life immediately.  No warning!  Is that normal for a Savage?  My other bikes (all inline-4s) have at least sputtered or lost power or given some warning before dying completely when low on fuel.

At 6' tall I'm a little cramped on the bike, but the idea is that my gf can ride it, since she's a great fit on it.

That's her practicing in a parking lot today.  She took the MSF class 2 years ago, and until today that's the only riding she's ever done.  She wants a little more practice before venturing out on the street, but she'll probably get there soon.  Now I need to get my GS fixed, or she'll be riding off without me! Cheesy

- Justin
82 GS1100L
01 Savage
86 Savage (R.I.P.)
TetsuoMX5 TetsuoMX5   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Finally, a bike to ride!
Reply #1 - 09/19/10 at 14:09:31

7 Mary 3 wrote on 09/19/10 at 13:32:46:
...  the engine died suddenly  ... I switched to reserve it came back to life immediately.  No warning!  Is that normal for a Savage?  My other bikes (all inline-4s) have at least sputtered or lost power or given some warning before dying completely when low on fuel....

I do thumpers, had a 100cc 2-stroke twin in the late '60's, and a GS450E for a short while in the early '80's -- I really do not remember.  But to think about it, one would have to sputter out. You have four carbs, each one will lose out of gas at different times.  You will have 3, or 2 still moving.  With just the one is out, it is OUT.

Actually, you normally get a warning, city at least, as you are moving and bumping the few dribbles of gasoline out of the tank.  You only get no warning if you are just smoothly cruising as you were, or; as I had, stop out of gas while sitting at a red light.

WWW   IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #2 - 09/19/10 at 17:48:58

it gives a warning - very subtle, though. kind of  "is it just my imagination or ...?.'(Engine  Dies) "

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/19/10 at 23:57:41

If theres a bit of speed variation & running on less throttle, itll give a better clue. The closer to straight & fast its running, the less hint ya get. Pay attention to the miles on the tank & when you get close to 100 miles on the tank, & IF youre heading into a spot where a sputter/dead engine would be unfunny, flip it over to reserve & get gas at first opportunity. Ive had mine shut off at a red lite after running great, fast, in a straight line. Hit brakes, gas rolls forward, away from the pickup. Getting it fired up with someone behind ya isnt fun.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/20/10 at 00:04:50

I like it when my engine just stops instantly, with no prior symptoms or warnings....

It's mysterious,.... Huh...

... ,and that's sexy....  Kiss...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 09/20/10 at 05:15:51

I've had to switch to reserve twice in the past couple of weeks.  The first time, it had been a while since I ran out of gas, so I couldn't remember which way to swing the valve stem.  Duh.  I could tell it was about to die, but by the time I decided to swing it forward, it died.  I coasted off the road, stuck her in prime, fired right up, switched to reserve and headed to the gas station.  The following week, it sputtered a couple of times and I immediately switched to reserve and didn't have to stop.  But I did feel the sputtering coming on for maybe 5 seconds.  (About enough time to think "Uh, how many miles have I run on this tank??") I was doing about 50 mph the first time, maybe 40 the second time.  At 65-70mph, I bet mine would cut out pretty quickly!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/20/10 at 06:35:22

I always pull back on the lever, into prime, to reload the bowl. Im gonna be headed for gas soon anyway.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 09/20/10 at 10:14:20

Keep an eye on the odometer, when youy hit 100 miles, find a gas pump expeditiously (I've allways loved that word). Wink

IP Logged
7 Mary 3
YaBB Newbies

Just this guy, you
know?

Augusta, ME
Reply #8 - 09/20/10 at 15:38:23

I'm just glad I didn't break the new one. Grin

- Justin
82 GS1100L
01 Savage
86 Savage (R.I.P.)
TetsuoMX5 TetsuoMX5   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #9 - 09/20/10 at 19:48:06

I usually fill up on the way home, so I can just ride. I was cruising along and got one surge and a pop, so I grabbed the petcok that I refuse to change or fix and went to reserve. Started running better. I went back to run, and it sputtered so I went to prime. After about 20 miles of fidddling I decided to pull over and CHECK THE GAS LEVEL VISUALLY. I won't even tell you the rest. If you gonna be stupid, you better be tough. Or at least expeditious!

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 09/21/10 at 04:58:53

Its amazing how hard bikes are to push, innitt?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 10:29:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally, a bike to ride!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.