Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Right curves or Left curves? (Read 557 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Right curves or Left curves?
Reply #30 - 09/16/10 at 11:35:48

Serowbot wrote on 09/16/10 at 09:53:30:
Consider this,...

You are riding a 2-lane, and an oncoming car suddenly spins out to stop, blocking your forward path completely...
The only option is to lay her down, and slide... (I know it's not the smart move, but it happens instinctively)

Most people would lay it down on the left side...
North or south hemispheres...
Bettcha' a donut... Wink...

I still have no idea why,... Huh...

1) lay her down and hope you slide under?
2) turn into it and hope the last place it would be is where it should be?
3) do nothing and hope the a hole misses you?
or
4) indian larry and hope you don't break you neck when you touche down?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #31 - 09/16/10 at 11:47:11

A buddy of mine does everything right handed but writes left handed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 09/16/10 at 12:30:20

LANCER wrote on 09/16/10 at 06:45:45:
Boofer wrote on 09/15/10 at 20:19:09:
Serow,
You made it worse! Now I've got to wondering, does this have to do with our northern hemisphere and the rotation of the earth? Do riders in Australia feel safer in a right hand curve? I won't sleep a wink tonight worrying about this. STM (STM is "smiling to myself" I rarely LOL when typing)

ABSOLUTELY
Watch the water drain out of the sink or tub; it swirls CCW, as do storms in the northern hemisphere.
Go south of the equater and everything spins CW

It is the natural flow of things and so it does feel better for us to go L vs R in this hemisphere.

I can't believe that people still believe that myth regarding water going down the drain in the southern hemisphere is opposite of the northern hemisphere.   But its not true the Coriolis effect is what you are describing and it is only found in storm sized events and long range rifle fire, not plumbing.   The way the water goes down your drain is caused by nothing more than the shape of the bowl and the water hitting it.   Don't believe me?

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/water-spin-down-drain/

IP Logged
Tom K
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Brighton, CO
Reply #33 - 09/16/10 at 12:41:46

I really haven't noticed which way I prefer to turn. But if you look at my bike the right peg is scraped down way more then my left.  Wink

2004 Savage
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #34 - 09/16/10 at 13:12:05

jsarsfield wrote on 09/16/10 at 12:30:20:
LANCER wrote on 09/16/10 at 06:45:45:
Boofer wrote on 09/15/10 at 20:19:09:
Serow,
You made it worse! Now I've got to wondering, does this have to do with our northern hemisphere and the rotation of the earth? Do riders in Australia feel safer in a right hand curve? I won't sleep a wink tonight worrying about this. STM (STM is "smiling to myself" I rarely LOL when typing)

ABSOLUTELY
Watch the water drain out of the sink or tub; it swirls CCW, as do storms in the northern hemisphere.
Go south of the equater and everything spins CW

It is the natural flow of things and so it does feel better for us to go L vs R in this hemisphere.

I can't believe that people still believe that myth regarding water going down the drain in the southern hemisphere is opposite of the northern hemisphere.   But its not true the Coriolis effect is what you are describing and it is only found in storm sized events and long range rifle fire, not plumbing.   The way the water goes down your drain is caused by nothing more than the shape of the bowl and the water hitting it.   Don't believe me?

http://www.weatherimagery.com/blog/water-spin-down-drain/

I have a shaped kitchen sink square like with a jog in them,I tried the water drain deal one spins one way the other the opposite way.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #35 - 09/16/10 at 13:37:43

born left handed writer, rt or left hand ball throwing - left foot kicker - but when i first got my bike a fellow rider following me told me i took the left handers better than right handers (looked more comfortable)...now almost 6 months of riding exp. and almost 1000 miles - i think i am just as comfortable RT or LF.....have not been riding with anyone lately to confirm this - but next time I do ride with a buddy i will get them to analize my turning skillz and let you know.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #36 - 09/16/10 at 22:56:12

...and I have another one. Road race bikes are set up with the shifter opposite road bikes meaning ,1 up 5 down (most). The reason is your foot is above the shifter during extreme lean angles. Now..on a road bike during  (our) extreme lean angles we can feel the left with our toe to gauge our lean. I'm just throwing out a personal feeling but, I am more comfortable going left.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #37 - 09/17/10 at 05:44:12

I asked my husband and he said right curves are more comfortable for him.  This actually makes more mental sense to me, after talking about it.  When you are turning right, if you take the curve too fast, at least you always have the opposing lane to go in to if you HAD to.  Hopefully there's nothing coming the opposite direction.  But if you take a left turn too fast, and lose it, you're off the road!  I guess dangers in the other lane and off the road could be high or low, depending on where you ride, but its a thought.  Are you more scared of going into the opposing lane or off the shoulder?

I'm still more comfortable with left turns, and thought about it this morning on my 60° ride to work, but I think this discussion might just help me feel better both ways!  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #38 - 09/17/10 at 06:39:27

Lupo wrote on 09/16/10 at 10:08:51:
This topic has come up in many circles and to me the most reasonable theory is you control throttle with the right hand and have better counter steer (push) control with the left hand.

This kind of makes sense to me. Pushy on the right gives more power, not the thing you want headed into trouble.

Also, I have always thought if I were to go down (knock on chrome it never happens)  I pictured left side down as well. Same for baseball and soccer. I am right handed/footed Smiley

curious topic to think about

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #39 - 09/17/10 at 09:10:42

babyhog wrote on 09/17/10 at 05:44:12:
...Are you more scared of going into the opposing lane or off the shoulder?

As a rider who has been hit by a t-t-truck,...
I prefer to slide of the road...  Huh...

Nothing hurts more than an instant reversal of momentum... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #40 - 09/17/10 at 10:44:41

I like rights,probably because we have a lot of roundabouts here which are right handed and by the time you are exiting on the left turn the road is opening up so accelerating hard and not leaning so far.
Thats my theory for what it's worth.
Clive W Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #41 - 09/17/10 at 11:17:06

I wish I had a big , clear area, with a good surface so I could just go play & try both sides.I know when I was riding a 10 speed,myleft pedal took more of a beating as I pedalled thru turns.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #42 - 09/17/10 at 12:50:17

cursal wrote on 09/16/10 at 07:03:47:
I prefer the lefts mostly, but if I were going up a steep hill I like the right. I feel like I'm really digging into the turn.
I guess cause I'm more comfortable with the left that the right is more "exciting" when I find good right curves going up at steep angles.

Been busy a couple days. Boy, you guys have some good answers. I didn't realize it until Cursal said it, but I feel secure climbing up steep, tight curves. I can picture the very place with a good grade and sharp "S" curves. I always kick her down to 3rd and hang on. If this was "Family Feud" I'd say, "Good answer" like that guy does. Thanks for the great comments.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #43 - 09/17/10 at 17:18:33

runwyrlph wrote on 09/16/10 at 06:10:47:
as for the racing direction - it was my understanding that the British raced horses clockwise in American colonial times.  The Yankees switched to racing in the opposite direction to show their disdain for all things Hanoverian!

I learned to ride and drive in England ,as you know we drive on the left. So I thought it was just natural to prefer  left turns. Not true,I still
can make left turns with way more confedence than right,
Now I want to know how Auzzies feel ?
Before my hand problem ,and after I got my Ninja,I found that right or left made no difference, So ! could it be the bike itself ?
When I jumped on that little ninja,I already knew they were noted for there handling,the more I rode it the more confidence I got ,later I could corner ether way without a problem. I did do alot of practice making right turns on the Ninja,I was thinking of racing it at Portland meadows,a clockwise track. our little local track here in McMinville is also clockwise.And so is the Isle of Man,And Brands Hatch,outside London.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #44 - 09/17/10 at 17:39:32

Lupo wrote on 09/16/10 at 22:56:12:
...and I have another one. Road race bikes are set up with the shifter opposite road bikes meaning ,1 up 5 down (most). The reason is your foot is above the shifter during extreme lean angles. Now..on a road bike during  (our) extreme lean angles we can feel the left with our toe to gauge our lean. I'm just throwing out a personal feeling but, I am more comfortable going left.

The shifter on race bikes is just put on backwards,so to get the riders feet farther back.and on English bikes the shifter is on the other side.
Also on some Italian bikes the shifter is a rocking type,use your heel or toe.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:31:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Right curves or Left curves?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.