Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Last time your heart jumped out of your chest. (Read 773 times)
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Last time your heart jumped out of your chest.
Reply #30 - 10/18/10 at 10:01:43

Was riding last week, and going past the off ramp to a roadside rest. There's a sort of wide "Y" there to the right with the cross hatched yellow paint. I see a flicker to my right, as a new maroon Camaro blasts through those cross hatches on my right. I'm on a 4 lane doing 60 with traffic on my left, and no place to go. Obviously, he missed me, or I wouldn't be writing about it. There's got to be a special place in hell for people like that.

IP Logged
Howitzer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Boston, MA
Reply #31 - 10/20/10 at 19:27:38

Two weeks ago, as I'm riding down a 2 lane 35 mph road with a bike lane on the right.  I'm riding on the left lane, near a car on the right's blindspot(my mistake, now I know to avoid).  I see up ahead that we're approaching a cyclist in the bike lane, so I keep my eye on the car to my right.  I shift to the left side of my lane, in case the car is gonna shift left to give the cyclist some space.  Turns out the car not only shifts left, he flat out changes into my lane, forcing me into the oncoming lane.  It's a good thing that I checked for oncoming traffic before I shifted to the left side of my lane, otherwise this could have turned out badly.  

I should have A) not ridden in someone's blind spot, and B) instead of being pushed into the oncoming lane, I should have braked to get behind the impeding car.

Good thing I'm learning this early on.

IP Logged
OntheBoulevard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 10/21/10 at 09:15:07

It's great to read about the newbie experiences. Maybe I should rephrase that... It's eye opening to see other people are having the same growing pains, and that I'm not the only one. The first few times I rode it was an absolute miserable experience. You have all your appendages doing something they've never done before, and all at the same time you're vulnerable. When I went out my third time, my wife says "Nice evening for a ride, you ought to go". To me, it was almost like she was saying "you ought to go ahead an climb up the face of that cliff with no gear, that you've always had your eye on". I figured that after that evening, I was either going to get passed the fear of riding, or the Boulevard was going back on Ebay! I rode 86 miles that afternoon, and by the time I got back, I had gotten past the primal fear, and actually had a certain amount of automatic dexterity. Right now, I still plan out every curve, and I really don't like curve riding cause it scares me. I make myself do it, because I have to get passed it, and make the whole sequence of events getting in and out of them, a natural thoughtless process. I have also made myself go into towns, where I know I'll have stop and go traffic, so I have to practice stops and starts, and making them smoothly. The thing I'm the worst at doing smoothly, is slow 90 degree turns onto a side road, or actually taking off, and making the turn. That seems to take more effort and skill, then all of the rest of the maneuvers I do combined, especially the short radius right hand turns.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #33 - 10/21/10 at 12:56:27

Had one today on the way back from lunch. Came to a round-a-bout that was not too busy so I decided to push it through at a higher than normal speed. Lean right, lean left, lean right ride back out. Was going smoothly until I leaned too far to the left and dragged my left peg. Startled me a bit, but at the same time made me think about all the "Dragon" riders and them saying how they are dragging pegs all the time. One of these days I'm going to find a road similar to the dragon and drag the pegs on alternating sides one right after another  Cool

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #34 - 10/23/10 at 01:40:04

O.K. ...so you really want to know eh?
It was in 1982. I was lying on my back with an ER nurse cheek to cheek as she was telling me not to fall asleep and over and over was saying "you'll be fine". I felt calm until she yelled to the doctor " hurry, he has no blood pressure". That is the last time my heart jumped out of my chest. She was right because here I am but I'd had a ruptured spleen removed and had broken my right ankle, pelvic, 3 ribs, right shoulder, torn my kidney and collapsed my right lung. Other then that I was doing pretty good Smiley
You asked. Stupid motorcycles Angry

IP Logged
kingart3
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 10/29/10 at 20:45:38

WOW, one thing you see again and again in these threads are RAIN, DARK, DEER and CELL PHONES.

I try to avoid riding at night and in rain, (but of course get caught in both sometimes).  In Florida where I live deer are very rare, I have never seen one cross the road here ever.  On the other hand cell phones are alive and well.

While I haven't had a scare on the S40, back when I was on the 150 cc scooter there were several surprises.  I use to joke it was a self-propelled lawn chair but that is not far from the truth...lol.

One day I was going up a major road at about 45 or 50 when a car decided to just ...slow roll.. into 3 lanes of oncoming traffic, (one of them mine).  I stood on the brakes and the horn.  By the time the scooter stopped I could have reached out and touched the left front quarter panel of the car with one hand.

Tinted windows, but I am guessing cell phone.  Now when I hit an intersection, one hand rests lightly on the clutch lever and one hand rests lightly on the brake ...LOL.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #36 - 10/29/10 at 23:11:10

On a daaark & Raaaainy night, be caaaareful! Ohh be caaareful.

bambi mite be on the phone & run right into ya!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #37 - 10/29/10 at 23:25:05

2 years ago,... on a dark and stormy, (okay,..hot, summer?) day...
I became intimate with a Toyota front grill...
I'll never forget her... Huh...
(My heart didn't jump out of my chest,... but it got very squished)...

This thread is like a Disney Halloween fright ride for bikers... Huh...

I think,.... I'm getting close to buying a Volvo... Huh...

Lupo,...      ...tell me a happy story,...
... did you nail the nurse?... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Lupo

Reply #38 - 10/30/10 at 18:55:40

Serowbot wrote on 10/29/10 at 23:25:05:
Lupo,...      ...tell me a happy story,...
... did you nail the nurse?... Huh...

No romance or even sleaze for that matter. I did learn I'm not as tough as I would like to think I am and I really love motorcycling regardless of the risk  Wink
I think someone once said " it's better to have ridden and crashed then to have never ridden at all".

IP Logged
roosky
YaBB Newbies

Michigan
Reply #39 - 10/31/10 at 18:12:13

A couple weeks ago a burgundy minivan slowly turned left in front of me into a McDonalds parking lot. My back wheel started to lock so I let up a little and squeezed between the back of the minivan and the next car that was in the left turn lane waiting behind the minivan. I immediately launched into an extended prayer/praise session concerning my deliverance from an oblivious driver that maybe didn't even know they almost killed me. The next day I wasn't sure I wanted to ride. Even now, weeks later, I've become more nervous about people turning left as I approach. Instead of flashing my brights  twice, I flash them repeatedly until I'm beyond them.

2008 S40, black, stock, 11,433 miles
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 11/01/10 at 07:03:23

The ( OMG how funny is THAT?) HURT REport, IIRC, explains the best & worst places to be in traffic. Following a long line of cars is dangerous, cuz people get impatient & GO at the end of the CARS. Being in front? Not much better. I Weave & flash my light when I see someone who looks dangerous.

Weaving forces their eye to move to see the light. I think it helps.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #41 - 11/02/10 at 20:30:07

The LAST time was when we had sweet taters for supper (Dinner) and sitting in church that night my wife said, "OH, Oh." Turns out she just remembered she left something at home. Before that it was about 10-12 teen girls on cell phones putting me in danger in various, left turn, pulling out, merging scenarios. And only ONE old lady merging on me as I rolled past her left door. Just moved into turn lane at about 30 mph and braked to let her by. I bought my '01 in March 2009 with 7400 miles. Now has 13,800. Teens on cell phones are by far the most dangerous in the South for me.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #42 - 11/04/10 at 11:04:41

Two weeks ago at 5:00 AM on a four lane freeway in the left lane doing 70 mph and everything goes dark and the engine quits. Traffic is just heavy enough to keep me from getting to the right shoulder.  As I pull into the narrow left shoulder everything lights back up. I hit the starter and took off before anyone catches up to me. I get back into my lane and ride to work without a repeat event. Later I found a loose wire connector. I then went over the whole bike looking for more loose wires (and bolts).

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
danDmen
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 11/04/10 at 11:49:18

this morning ...when this crazy laide Angry decided to slam her brakes in the fast lane ...so another car can overtake the bus ...that just stop for people i hong at her for like a block and then i give her the finger as i flu by  Grin Grin Angry

IP Logged
SavageDanny

I ate what?

Kansas City, Missouri
Reply #44 - 11/04/10 at 12:09:07

danDmen wrote on 11/04/10 at 11:49:18:
and then i give her the finger as i flu by

Please don't do that. I have seen people swerve at a motorcyclist who did that. I have also seen them swerve at the next motorcyclist (me) that came along just to prove their point.

Flat Black 88

WWW SavageDanny   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:27:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Last time your heart jumped out of your chest.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.