Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Last time your heart jumped out of your chest. (Read 773 times)
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Last time your heart jumped out of your chest.
Reply #15 - 09/17/10 at 01:36:28

It wasn't the day I was riding but the day I bought my Savage from the dealer. It was raining and I had to drive to the coast so I went in my car. On the way back all I could think about was how much fun this ride was gonna be on my bike in the summer when the weather was nice. Just then a deer bounded down from this hillside right  into the front of the car and totaled it. Of course it killed the deer. His head was in the radiator.. I almost sold my bike before I even rode it. All I could think about was what would have happened if I had been on my bike.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 09/17/10 at 04:11:11

Yesterday we were off loading my newest sidecar rig (750 Honda Aero)
from out of a shipping box on a semi.
I had a belay with rope in my hands and one of my friends was in the saddle. As it started out and down' he hit the brakes and one of the ramps shifted to the side.  I clamped down on the belay as the machime hung precariously over the edge.  Tom climbed out of the saddle and three of us were able to get the machine back up into the truck.
Repositioning the ramps we again tried with no brakes at all using only the belay.  This time all went well and the machine was lowered to the ground safely.
Had the machine fallen it would have most likely hit nose first then gone over forward upside down. In all likelyhood it would have resulted in terrible injury or even death for Tom.

Phelonius Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Phelonius
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #17 - 09/17/10 at 11:15:37

Every day on my way to work! if it is not the old people,its the kids on cell phones,welcome to Florida!

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #18 - 09/17/10 at 15:30:39

Yesterday we were off loading my newest sidecar rig (750 Honda Aero)
from out of a shipping box on a semi.

Phelonious:
Good to hear the bikes are arriving ok. Also good to hear no one got hurt unloading!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 09/18/10 at 04:00:43

A real man woulda just rode the thing out the truck, Wide Open. Seen so much of that stuff on TV that im sure it woulda worked out just fine..
Oldmilitary sidecar rigs have made plenty of safe landings.

Well, unless a bad guy was on it, then it exploded when it left the ramp.

Maybe you shouldnt try it,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #20 - 09/18/10 at 05:55:09

So many close calls w/ deer,.... sometimes even standing in the roadway when I round a bend, that my heart is getting tough to it anymore.
But,.....that rock in the belt at 50 mph probably topped the list !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #21 - 09/18/10 at 12:20:21

Jinx! First time riding it to work, first week of riding, first time riding it in the rain.  When I was leaving the parking lot I drove into the fence going - 5mph.  Kind of bent the bracket that the front blinker bolts to inside the rubber housing nothing serious, kind of embarrassing but better then crashing on the highway!

WWW   IP Logged
the kler
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minnesota
Reply #22 - 09/18/10 at 13:37:44

I was riding on a hwy at 65mph on a really hot day, too hot for the pavement i guess cause it buckled upward about 5 inches and almost threw me from my bike.  luckily I have some experience with bikes in the air and didn't screw up the landing.  I landed on the passenger seat in the almost superman position and promptly pulled over.  Change of pants and a cold glass of water and I was back on the road.

They fixed that bump later that night after another motorcyclist crashed.

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
Reply #23 - 09/18/10 at 16:13:10

This morning, part way through a morning ride for the pure enjoyment of it.

Riding on a 4 lane, about 65 mph, about a half hour after sunrise.  I look down the road and see a small dark lump a little left of center of the lane I'm in.  I think it's tire debris, so I move over to the right to clear it.  No problem till I'm about 50 feet away, and the darn thing moves!! Shocked

It was a squirrel and the little sucker decided to go back to the side of the road, right in front of me!  I'm sure it probably would have been OK if I had hit it, but it was a real shocker to see something suddenly there in front of me, when I thought it was a chunk of rubber.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 10/17/10 at 21:52:11

Am riding south on a small, 4-lane arterial with no divider.  The posted speed limit on this road is 35 mph.  The shoulder of the road has a bicycle lane, so it is fairly wide.  There is a right turn lane up ahead that I’m planning on using when I get closer to the intersection I want to turn right on.

I’m riding my Savage (see signature).  I’m in the right-hand lane.  As I near the intersection I want to turn right on (which has a traffic signal....it is currently red), I activate the right-turn signals, wait two seconds, then begin drifting right in my lane so that I can enter the right turn lane that is just now beginning.  As is my habit (even in seemingly innocuous situations like this), I check my mirror and then do a “head check” as I prepare to enter the right turn lane.

I’m startled by a whoosh of air and a red blur!  A driver in a red Toyota pickup truck with a topper, Colorado truck license plate number 531-BSM, has entered the shoulder BEFORE the right-turn lane began and is travelling at least 20 mph faster than I am.  The driver is crowding into the right-hand edge of my lane.  I instinctively swerve to the left to avoid the truck.

Yep, THAT got the ticker to thumpin'!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 10/17/10 at 23:04:15

In 2001 a Knucklehead passed me on the right as I was turning "right" into a parking lot. He actually drove up into the grass trying to get around me. The result was some broken bones a broken Goldwing and a wild windshield ride. Now every week or two I hear the brakes lock up behind me while I am waiting at a light ,and my heart leaps into my mouth. It has been ten years and even after living through worse accidents this one haunts me. I don't like being scared but I am not ready to quit any time soon.
Ride hard, live hard
JB

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 10/18/10 at 00:51:22

Watching Lancer thread the needle between two on-coming cars on a narrow mountain road ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #27 - 10/18/10 at 06:37:00

The other day, just after dusk, while cruising down a dark country road at about 45mph, when not 1 or 2, but 5 dear decided to run across the road about 30-40 yards in front of me. I just missed the last ones ass by several feet. SE Wisconsin during the rut. You gotta luv it.

IP Logged
B1-66er

I've been everything
you want to be.

Eastern Ohio
Reply #28 - 10/18/10 at 06:42:07

Mine was the first time I rose a motorcycle. Of course that was just three and a half weeks ago. Haha.

Luckily I haven't had any scary experiences yet, but I know they're on their way.

IP Logged
Angie

Anybody can be
normal, where's the
fun in that?

Iowa
Reply #29 - 10/18/10 at 07:10:02

My worst scare was the morning I got into heavy fog, then had 2 deer jump across in front of me and then had a truck pull out in front of me.  Sheesh!

Lying is emotional immaturity in action
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:32:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Last time your heart jumped out of your chest.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.