Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I guess not bad for the 1st time (Read 444 times)
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
I guess not bad for the 1st time
09/14/10 at 19:40:13

I will give you the time line of events maybe yall can tell me where I messed up haha.

Ok I have never ridden a bike till today, so I go to start her up.  

1.I pull the Choke all the way out turn the key and start her up
2.Idles for a couple of minutes then pressed the Choke back in.
3.Stall Out
4. Repeated Steps 1 and 2
5.Stall Out
6. Repeated Steps 1 and 2 till Battery Died.
7.  Hooked up Charger
8. Watched Wrestling With my son
10. Unhooked charger
11.Started Her Up SUCCESS!
12. Slowly Ease her down the drive way
13.SUCCESSFULLY PUT HER INTO GEAR!
14.Rode around neighborhood in 1st
15.Got to stop sign, stalled out happen almost every time I went around the block.

Anyways, I guess it wasn't to bad for my first time.  I am going to have to work on my starting and stopping for sure.  I let of the gas at the stop sign but I failed to put her back into neutral.  I plan on riding around the hood every night till i get it right!  I did get on it a few times and boy does this baby have some pull!  I have never been a driver on a bike so I was totally excited about the experience!

Peace!

WWW   IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Re: I guess not bad for the 1st time
Reply #1 - 09/14/10 at 20:14:05

If I push the choke in on mine without giving it a little gas, it'll die.

I usually let it warm up for 30-60 seconds with the choke, ride for a mile or so, and then push the choke in while cruising.

You probably don't need to pull the choke all the way out unless it's freezing, try it out one notch.

-Gak Toid

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/14/10 at 20:20:23

Not unusual to twist the throttle when you push in the choke.
On mine when it's warm, the idle speed picks up quite a bit.
So you might leave it in till either the rpm's pick up or it starts to bog down.

2. turn the idle speed up a little so it's a little more forgiving at stop signs.
she has a natural tendency to drop the rpm's when bringing her to a stop.

3. congrats on making it around the block w/o dropping it or getting run over, stalling it is quite acceptable for someone of your skill level.  wholly recommend the msf basic rider course.

How many miles?
did change the for the 1st time yet?

WWW   IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #3 - 09/14/10 at 23:40:05

Cool

Watch out for speed bumps in small neighborhood streets! Had a wild time when I first hit one practicing taking off making a left turn.  Cheesy

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #4 - 09/15/10 at 00:20:58

verslagen1 wrote on 09/14/10 at 20:20:23:
So you might leave it in till either the rpm's pick up or it starts to bog down.

2. turn the idle speed up a little so it's a little more forgiving at stop signs.

3. congrats on making it around the block w/o dropping it or getting run over, stalling it is quite acceptable for someone of your skill level.  wholly recommend the msf basic rider course.

How many miles?

What he said... Cheesy
If I needed the choke, I'd usually use the first notch, then let it warm up that way until it started sputtering a little (warmed up!) and push the choke in.

And another recommendation for the MSF class.  The one I took was great! Cool

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #5 - 09/15/10 at 03:14:50

verslagen1 wrote on 09/14/10 at 20:20:23:

How many miles?

Its an 2003 with almost 17,000 on it.  The PO had it since 70, said it was his only vehicle  for awhile and for a year on a half rode it back and forth from dickinson Texas to hobby area.  He is a member of this board I'm assuming because he referred me to this site.  There is a MSF class coming up at the college I plan on taking.  This site is awesome, full of useful information.  I plan on changing my oil this weekend, he gave me a oil filter.  Any special things I should be aware of?  Looks pretty easy, I have a repair manual that I picked up that seems to be useful.  

Quote:
Watch out for speed bumps in small neighborhood streets! Had a wild time when I first hit one practicing taking off making a left turn.

Thats sucks dude! There are no speed bumps or dips in my neighborhood, I wish they did though to keep all these idiots from flying down the road.  The kids will be outside riding there bicycles and there is always someone speeding through.  

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 09/15/10 at 05:56:34

Next thing you need to do is sign up for the Motorcycle Safety Course. Any of your local dealerships ought to have contact information.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/15/10 at 06:05:20

Just be aware after that course you don't know how to ride a motorcycle,You can only learn that by yourself.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #8 - 09/15/10 at 06:51:52

Definitely going to take the class, if not by the end of this month I will in November.  I think its required to get your M Class anyways where I live.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/15/10 at 08:01:05

Quote:
Its an 2003 with almost 17,000 on it.  

One thing to be aware of or it'll bite you hard... cam chain.  Right around 20,000 ± 10,000 miles the cam chain gets enough stretch on it to allow the adjuster to fall apart.  Not a problem if you take care of it before it falls apart, but you'll have the devil to pay if it does.  The cam chain adjuster check procedure is in the tech doc's.

Changing the oil is easy, only thing to watch out for is putting the filter on backwards.  The hole in the filter goes on the spud on the engine.  Put the cover on and hold it up against the case, if you can't push it all the way against the case with one hand, it's on wrong.

WWW   IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #10 - 09/15/10 at 08:10:11

verslagen1 wrote on 09/15/10 at 08:01:05:
Quote:
Its an 2003 with almost 17,000 on it.  

One thing to be aware of or it'll bite you hard... cam chain.  Right around 20,000 ± 10,000 miles the cam chain gets enough stretch on it to allow the adjuster to fall apart.  Not a problem if you take care of it before it falls apart, but you'll have the devil to pay if it does.  The cam chain adjuster check procedure is in the tech doc's.

Changing the oil is easy, only thing to watch out for is putting the filter on backwards.  The hole in the filter goes on the spud on the engine.  Put the cover on and hold it up against the case, if you can't push it all the way against the case with one hand, it's on wrong.

Thanks for the advice!  I will read up on the docs, I plan on trying to maintain her as good as possible just like my trucks! Cool

WWW   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #11 - 09/15/10 at 08:39:01

Congrats on not hurting yourself or anyone else - MCs lose to almost everything else on the road, kids on bicycles lose to everything.

You will learn how to use the "choke." It has more than two settings - the intermediate settings are what you usually need until the engine warms up. MCs vary even with models the same engine (usually warm up is just a minute or two, however if you are just idling around the neighborhood it may be at the long end of that or not warm completely up if the temperature is low.)

You will probably learn that most things in motorcycling have options and people who will argue their point of view ad nauseum. Such as, you don't have to put your MC in neutral at stops, just hold in the clutch. I do this and keep an eye on my rear view mirror, trying to make sure I don't get compacted by someone who doesn't see me. I also make sure I have an escape route if this happens. I've been able to avoid a couple of accidents this way.

One piece of advice, city streets and traffic are really tough places to learn how to ride a MC. Empty parking lots or empty country roads are easier.

Keep the shiny side up Cheesy

IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #12 - 09/15/10 at 08:48:12

You done good so far. Take a basic rider course. Pass it and you are qualified to ride at very low speeds in an empty parking lot. Lots of good basic info. Take it easy and don't push yourself too fast. Best of luck.---Luke

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #13 - 09/15/10 at 10:08:35

Yeah, I am going to take her out in the parking lot in front of the hood.  I am going to ride her tonight after the kids get wound down, usually pretty quite in my neck of the woods when the sun goes down.  This helps me from being so nervous thinking everyone is looking at the new guy on the new bike. Lol thanks for the advice dudes!

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #14 - 09/15/10 at 10:21:26

Hey Barney, is your bike purple?    Wink

Sorry, just couldn't resist.

Welcome, and enjoy the bike.... carefully.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:14:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I guess not bad for the 1st time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.