Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
I guess not bad for the 1st time (Read 444 times)
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: I guess not bad for the 1st time
Reply #15 - 09/15/10 at 10:52:40

You missed a couple of the mistakes.

First time I started it kept stalling out.  Start engine, shift into first, stall.  Neutral, start, shift into first, stall.  About the fourth or fifth time I picked up the kickstand.

WWW   IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #16 - 09/15/10 at 10:53:57

Lol, I actully had a 98 Dodge Dakota R/T that was Amethyst which was pretty much purple!  Truck was super fast and super fun!  It was 1 of 52 made in 1998!

WWW   IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #17 - 09/15/10 at 10:55:42

Paladin. wrote on 09/15/10 at 10:52:40:
You missed a couple of the mistakes.

First time I started it kept stalling out.  Start engine, shift into first, stall.  Neutral, start, shift into first, stall.  About the fourth or fifth time I picked up the kickstand.

Lol...good stuff

WWW   IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #18 - 09/15/10 at 10:59:02

Nice to hear you were not harmed. Practice practice practice as the more you do, the faster you become one with your bike. You will learn alot in the safety course. As you gain experience please remember you still have alot to learn.
Experience comes with many many miles and years of riding. So get started and keep us informed of your achievements. This forum is full of great people with tons of knowledge who are willing to help you with any mechanical problems that may arise. Keep the rubber side down.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #19 - 09/15/10 at 11:56:21

kimchris1 wrote on 09/15/10 at 10:59:02:
Nice to hear you were not harmed. Practice practice practice as the more you do, the faster you become one with your bike. You will learn alot in the safety course. As you gain experience please remember you still have alot to learn.
Experience comes with many many miles and years of riding. So get started and keep us informed of your achievements. This forum is full of great people with tons of knowledge who are willing to help you with any mechanical problems that may arise. Keep the rubber side down.. Smiley kim

Will do!  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Jive--FSO

SuzukiSavage.com

Beckley, WV
Reply #20 - 09/15/10 at 17:07:30

I took the course recently, and it is well worth it.  You will learn a lot, and have a good time.  I've put almost 500 miles on my Savage so far, and am having a blast!  Just take your time, and do not try and ride outside your comfort zone.

Jive

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #21 - 09/15/10 at 20:13:28

Welcome Barney, I walked up to my bike yesterday, slung my leg over the seat, hung the heel of my boot and rolled my bike off the kickstand by accident. By the time I caught it the stand flipped up and I cracked my Spitfire Shield from top to bottom on the carport post. I never leave my bike sitting in neutral, but it was. We are always supposed to grab the front brake when boarding, but I didn't. Take the course, practice and watch out for traffic. Happy riding.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #22 - 09/15/10 at 20:26:53

I've got ab out 1,500 miles on my savage and it's been a blast every step of every mile!

It's a LOT of fun to learn to ride if you can pair up with someone else that has some bike and some experience. They can help watch for mistakes you're making and take you on some 'beginner friendly' rides. Don't be afraid of the bike but at the same time always respect it. I'm by no means out of the novice skill level but the key to staying out of harms way is to avoid those situations in the first place. When learning to ride, I avoided rush hour traffic and routes which had notoriously bad intersections, and so forth. Don't forget to THINK while you RIDE. But it seems like you won't have a problem with that.  Wink

I rode my friend's V-Star around a parking lot before I finalized on the fact I wanted to buy a bike. The V-Star is in a similar class as the Savage and in my opinion our bike has a forgiving clutch compared to the late grabbing V-Star. In short, you'll master it with time.  Wink Practicing left turns in a parking lot on take off really helped me get the hang of it!

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #23 - 09/16/10 at 05:12:57

Wake51 wrote on 09/15/10 at 20:26:53:
I've got ab out 1,500 miles on my savage and it's been a blast every step of every mile!

It's a LOT of fun to learn to ride if you can pair up with someone else that has some bike and some experience. They can help watch for mistakes you're making and take you on some 'beginner friendly' rides. Don't be afraid of the bike but at the same time always respect it. I'm by no means out of the novice skill level but the key to staying out of harms way is to avoid those situations in the first place. When learning to ride, I avoided rush hour traffic and routes which had notoriously bad intersections, and so forth. Don't forget to THINK while you RIDE. But it seems like you won't have a problem with that.  Wink

I rode my friend's V-Star around a parking lot before I finalized on the fact I wanted to buy a bike. The V-Star is in a similar class as the Savage and in my opinion our bike has a forgiving clutch compared to the late grabbing V-Star. In short, you'll master it with time.  Wink Practicing left turns in a parking lot on take off really helped me get the hang of it!

Thanks for the info!  I got a few people to ride with that have been giving me tips or what not, can't wait to get her on the highway and cruise some back roads!

WWW   IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #24 - 09/17/10 at 05:25:35

Took her own the highway last night, super fun actually got her in 3rd gear!

WWW   IP Logged
RTC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso, TX (Ft. Bliss)
Reply #25 - 09/18/10 at 21:04:25

you might wanna be a little higher than 3rd on the highway but i guess to each his own

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #26 - 09/18/10 at 23:14:36

I call it a highway, its just the main road that runs through my town.  Top speed is 45 mph.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 09/19/10 at 05:43:18

At 45 mph I would be in 5th gear

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Reply #28 - 09/19/10 at 09:29:18

lol....im still learning haha

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #29 - 09/20/10 at 19:25:18

Barney,
I advised somebody on here to go to Monkey See Monkey Do. Hope it wasn't you. Nothin' worse than us old guys repeatin' ourselves. Click on the automotive thing and then motorcycles. It has several videos that are geared for beginners and us old people who thought we knew everything. (At least I do.) I think there is even one on there for washing your bike correctly. If you don't know it, it's great. If you do, it's entertaining. Ride safely.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 04:23:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › I guess not bad for the 1st time

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.