Metzler versus Dunlop (Read 416 times)
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Metzler versus Dunlop
09/14/10 at 12:46:31

I have run Dunlop tires on my Savage from the first tire change.  Out of curiosity, I just had a set of Metzler ME 880s put on.  I haven't even buffed off the tires yet, only about 30 miles on them, but I can already notice a significant difference between the two, at least for me.  The Metzlers deliver a lot rougher ride.  I feel all of the road bumps more with the Metzlers than I do with the Dunlops.  Almost makes me want to change shocks, or go to a sprung seat.  I can only assume that it is because the sidewall on the Metzler is a lot stiffer than the sidewall on the Dunlop.  

Any other riders had the same experience?

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Metzler versus Dunlop
Reply #1 - 09/14/10 at 12:56:04

Its good to see a honest opinion Lot of people change something and say its better whether it is or not,My one brother is one that has always did that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 09/14/10 at 13:00:41

Are you sure you ran them both on the same tire pressure? And besides, you can adjust the shocks to be softer.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 09/14/10 at 13:04:28

bill67 wrote on 09/14/10 at 12:56:04:
Its good to see a honest opinion Lot of people change something and say its better whether it is or not,My one brother is one that has always did that.

In that case,... these signals are invisible... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 09/14/10 at 13:10:09

What signals

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 09/14/10 at 13:38:19

gerald.hughes wrote on 09/14/10 at 12:46:31:
I have run Dunlop tires ... Metzler ME 880s put on.  ... I can already notice a significant ...  a lot rougher ride. ...

Hmmmm....

Had Dunlop 404's on the front, Dunlops and then ChinShin whatevers on the rear, switched to ME880s...  http://www.dslretorts.com/Paladin/archives/002609.html since July 2008 and 6,000+ miles.  I noticed immediately, was thinking it was twitchy.  By a week I realized that it was being more responsive.  I LIKE 'em.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 09/14/10 at 16:27:32

When I switched from D404s to ME880s, I almost hopped the curb on the first corner..  MUCH more responsive!  (Of course,  new tires as compared to a worn out tires...)
Anyway, once I switched to Metzler, I never tried another tire.  As such, I can not tell you if it rides "rougher" or not.  I run 40lbs front and back (as per the Metzler recommendation for the LS650).  I like the handling, I love the mileage (19,500 rear, around 23,500 front).

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/14/10 at 17:58:01

me thinks its your abilty
once the grease is worn off imo there isnt  a better tire (tyre) than the 880 metzs...jmo

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 09/14/10 at 18:57:30

I have only used the OEM tires and then switched to Metzler tires. I have noticed that the Metzlers like to be inflated to 40PSI. I tried airing them up to 36PSI to improve the ride but the rear tier gets squirrelly at that pressure, so I keep them at 40PSI. I have 10,000 miles on the rear and about 6,0000 miles on the front. It looks like I will get a lot more out of the rear tire.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #9 - 09/15/10 at 14:12:02

I rode a set of Dunlop 404's thru the desert in a blinding downpour with a 30 mph crosswind and did not even slip one inch. ( This was from work to home at night when I was living in AZ about 2 years ago on my S40). I also had 404's on my Nomad and it was a lot smoother riding than when I had the Metzlers on it. One more thing---I noticed I had small spider web cracks in my front hub on my 05 S40---check your hubs!!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #10 - 09/15/10 at 15:11:29

wingsout wrote on 09/15/10 at 14:12:02:
One more thing---I noticed I had small spider web cracks in my front hub on my 05 S40---check your hubs!!!

That's scary!... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 09/15/10 at 18:59:18

You sure it's cracks and not just imperfections in the casting? Never seen a hub blow to pieces yet.

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 09/15/10 at 19:55:45

Gerald, I replaced my rear tire with a K555 dunlop and noticed only a little difference between it and the IRC. I replaced the front with a Metz and thought my fillings would fall out on the way home. After a week or so I started enjoying the grip from the Metz. Either it got broken in or I got used to it. Going with Metezeler on the rear next time if I can afford it.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/15/10 at 20:23:51

Guys I'm driving with a broken neck and a couple of metal bars to hold things together. I am getting close to replacing the skins and I 'NEED' a softer ride.  Your average pot hole means an instant migraine. My Kawasakis and Goldwings ran with Dunlop Elites, but those were 700lb bikes.
For those who have tried 'both' the Dunlop and Metzs what is your opinion.
I have already upgraded to Progressive 440 shocks.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #14 - 09/15/10 at 20:42:06

I'm in search of my first set of tires so this thread perked my curiosity.

I was leaning towards the Metzlers. Can anyone shoot some part numbers my way? And any recommendations of where to buy tires from?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:28:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Metzler versus Dunlop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.