applejacks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland, Canada
White spacer Mod
09/14/10 at 09:27:27

Hi Guys
  Could someone ponit me in the right direction for a link on how to do this? I have been searching and havent been able to find anything :'(

Thanks

IP Logged
DangMan
2005 No Login

Thump thump thump

Denmark
Re: White spacer Mod
Reply #1 - 09/14/10 at 10:21:21

Have you seen this one ?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157

I have just recieved a new carb for my little savage project, and have thougt about making a "how to" with lots of pix, but it have to wait a couple of weeks before I get to that !

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/14/10 at 12:46:37

I can only say,.....
Don't expect it to change the backfiring much if at all.
Do expect it to richen the low/midrange circuit
Don't remove the whole spacer till you tried 1/2 first.

And most of all, I'll caution you against trashing the heads on those little bitty screws. They are usually very tight, and you need to use lots of heavyweight pressure on a Flips driver that is in good condition. Some here say that you should have a "jist" screwdriver for those screws,.....that a Flips driver is not the correct driver for them.

Others here tell you to use the small impact driver (sold at HF) to remove them.

DangMan wrote on 09/14/10 at 10:21:21:
Have you seen this one ?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1104205157

I have just recieved a new carb for my little savage project, and have thougt about making a "how to" with lots of pix, but it have to wait a couple of weeks before I get to that !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 09/14/10 at 12:55:32

From my experience, going up a jet size on the pilot from stock eliminated the backfires completely, but the bike ran like crap and was so rich that I had black smoke like a diesel. And that was with the baffle removed from stock exhaust. But your mileage may vary.

IP Logged
applejacks
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Newfoundland, Canada
Reply #4 - 09/14/10 at 17:30:57

Thanks guys. I recently bought a used 86' Savage for a winter project. The bike has been "picked" at over the years and needs some "work". I am wondering about the spacer mod because I think it has been done and might need some tweaking. The bike has black smoke puffing out that I cant get rid of. I believe it has stock jets but the baffle is completely gone. Figuring the spacer might be completely gone as even with the mixture screw all the way CW it doesnt make a difference. CCW richens it more so I'm pretty sure thats not the problem. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks

Andy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 09/14/10 at 19:15:46

applejacks wrote on 09/14/10 at 17:30:57:
Thanks guys. I recently bought a used 86' Savage for a winter project. The bike has been "picked" at over the years and needs some "work". I am wondering about the spacer mod because I think it has been done and might need some tweaking. The bike has black smoke puffing out that I cant get rid of. I believe it has stock jets but the baffle is completely gone. Figuring the spacer might be completely gone as even with the mixture screw all the way CW it doesnt make a difference. CCW richens it more so I'm pretty sure thats not the problem. Any other suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks

Andy

an older bike is virtually guaranteed to have the passageways inside the carb carboned up;  thus preventing you from being able to get ANY response from  the carb when you attempt to adjust the pilot screw or any other  adjustment on it.

the only way to be sure that all is well and that you can adjust it normally is to take it apart and clean every little tiny nook hole & cranny
yep   lots of good quality time     just you and your machine   Smiley

IP Logged
Hashbrown

What can brown do
for you!

Nashua, NH
Reply #6 - 09/15/10 at 07:00:56

this is prob one of the best threads to look at when dealing with the carb.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191899985

something i recomend as well, if you have an old PC laying around collecting dust, open it up and look for the smallest screws.  the ones that hold the hard drive into the bracket usually work.  replace the two screws when doing the mod with the newer PC ones.  ive found they are better quality screws then the stock ones.

What can brown do for you!
aatif96   IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #7 - 09/15/10 at 14:09:26

so, just a question about the spacer mod: since the spacer is UNDER the needle in the slide, wouldn't reducing the spacer lower the needle more into the needle jet, therefore making it slower to provide fuel and actually leaning the needle circuit? i know guys with the Yamaha xs650s with Mikuni carbs add washers to richen it.

just curious

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/15/10 at 14:31:41

According to Clymer's wonderful, error free service manual...
The white spacer sits on top of the retaining ring between it and the lockplate.  So making the white spacer thinner raises the needle as we all know.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 09/15/10 at 14:32:20

No the correct way is that the spacer limits the travel of the needle upwards. The spring tries to do that, but the spacer limits how far.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 09/15/10 at 16:01:53

ok guys, lets be up front here and with FULL disclosure.......

ITS JUST MAGIC    PLAIN & SIMPLE

IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #11 - 09/15/10 at 16:15:16

LANCER wrote on 09/15/10 at 16:01:53:
ok guys, lets be up front here and with FULL disclosure.......

ITS JUST MAGIC    PLAIN & SIMPLE

I knew it!

i forgot about the magic (it has to do with what side of the clip its on)

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:37:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › White spacer Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.