Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Loud tapping noise in the engine (Read 229 times)
Dmoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Loud tapping noise in the engine
09/14/10 at 07:33:02

Hey Everyone-I have a 99 Savage with a loud tapping noise in the engine. It's hard to locate it exactly. The bike runs great otherwise. I adjusted the cam chain tensioner and the valves to repair manual specs. The  oil level is fine. The bike sat for a number of years in a garage before I bought it. Any Ideas? Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Loud tapping noise in the engine
Reply #1 - 09/14/10 at 08:18:49

Cam chain adjustment is automatic, if you adjusted it, then either you got the wrong bike, or someone has done a mod.  you can however inspect it.

miles?

take a screwdriver place the tip against the engine and the handle against your ear.  search for where it is loudest.

what kind of noise?

when do you hear it?

WWW   IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/14/10 at 09:45:37

It is obviously broken. give it to me.

Phelonius Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #3 - 09/16/10 at 07:00:35

Did you change the chain too or just the adjuster?  A looser chain may be the tapping.

How did your guides look?

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 09/16/10 at 22:18:14

First, don't take offense at these questions .... if they are true you are not the first one around here to get tripped up by the errors in the Clymer Manual.

1) did you follow the manual exactly?   (awshit)

2) did you know about all the errors in the Clymers manual and WRITE DOWN THE CORRECTIONS inside your copy of Clymers to make sure you did it right from now on?

Now that I have scared the crap out of you -- go look in the tech section for topics on ERRORS IN CLYMERS MANUAL and WRONG TOP DEAD CENTER.

Your bike tapping like a mad rabbit may be a direct consequence of rotating the crank backwards and finding the dead assed wrong top dead center setting and then adjusting a bunch of slop into your valves.

Maybe possibly could be .... you won't know until you look up the relevant sections in Tech Section and read up on it.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dmoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/17/10 at 06:12:01

Thanks, Oldfeller. No offense taken . I'm not a mechanic I just like to try to do things myself. Yes, I've heard about the errors in the Clymer manuals.

Actually, I mentioned the wrong bike. I have two others beside my Savage which my son rides. The one I'm havng a problem with is a 1981 Yamaha Exciter 250cc four stroke. The manual says to turn the crank counterclockwise to align with the mark which I did after first adjusting the cam chain tensioner. There's is tad bit of play in the tappets after I adjusted the valves. I've heard this is normal. No? I have a shop manual for the bike so I followed the specs for valve adjustment.

This bike sat for close to 10 years so maybe there something realted to that. It fired right up when I started it and runs great through all the gears. It's just loud as hell with the tapping. Any ideas?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/17/10 at 06:54:10

So did you ever find where the noise comes from, upper engine like valves or lower engine like chain?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 22:29:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Loud tapping noise in the engine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.