Send Topic Print
carburator adjusment (Read 178 times)
sav95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

carburator adjusment
09/13/10 at 12:53:08

was wondering I was told my carb is running too lean where do I adjust this to make it less lean

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: carburator adjusment
Reply #1 - 09/13/10 at 13:48:53

From your question, I can assume you don't know lean from rich.
And unless your buddy is a long time tuner or a savage owner, I have to assume he don't know squat either.

1st, get yourself eduacated so you know a burp from a fart (not meant to put you down) read up on the tech doc's for carb tuning, lancer has written some good stuff, make him happy and read it.  If you at least breeze thru all of the carb stuff and look at all the pictures, things will look familiar to you when we talk about it.

short and dirty, our bike backfires (really afterfire but every body calls it that so why fight city hall) cause the epa mandates super lean settings.
more or less we have several backfires when they happen tells us what to adjust/fix.

shutdown backfire, idle mixture screw, about an 1/8 turn will take a pow to a poof.
shift backfire, check for loose header bolts or muff clamp (assuming you have a shutdown poof)
engine braking grumble pop, IMHO, nothing to adjust.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/14/10 at 05:01:25

Who told you that,.....and why ?? If lean was determined from some backfiring, that is not a valid reason to start hacking the carb.
If lean was determined from running incorrectly,....like surging at light load speeds, burning spark plugs, etc etc etc, then it may be.
But IMO, if you can't live w/ any backfiring, don't hack it, sell it Wink

sav95 wrote on 09/13/10 at 12:53:08:
was wondering I was told my carb is running too lean where do I adjust this to make it less lean

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
sav95
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/14/10 at 11:51:23

well in answer to your question the pipe turned blue I have studied about the savage and do realize it has a tendency and is known for its backfiriing it doesnt bother me I have been working on this it is a project bike for a friend and the man that told me is and has been a mech. for over  25years I figured I would try and ask someone here because this is the savage.com and figured why bother him when you own one as well as everyone else on the forum. The savage is nice little bike compared to my sportster the take off from the line is great and the gas milage there is no comparison

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/14/10 at 12:04:50

Ah, blue pipe lean, why didn't you say so.
You can cool that down a little by going to a larger main jet.
'99's come with a 145, going to a 150 or 152.5 will cool it down enough to keep it to a golden tarnish depending on your altitude.
And kudo's to your long time tuner for knowing this.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 09/14/10 at 18:43:59

My '06 has the stock jets and airbox, stock exhaust with the baffle removed. My header pipe has no discoloration at all. She occasionally backfires, and has popping and crackling on decel. My elevation is about 780ft. However the muffler has a little goldish brown spot on the bottom behind the heat shield that covers the pipe clamp.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 09/14/10 at 19:09:59

[quote author=495A575D425C4E423B0 link=1284407588/0#5 date=1284515039]My '06 has the stock jets and airbox, stock exhaust with the baffle removed. My header pipe has no discoloration at all. She occasionally backfires, and has popping and crackling on decel. My elevation is about 780ft. However the muffler has a little goldish brown spot on the bottom behind the heat shield that covers the pipe clamp.[/quote
that is your hot spot

IP Logged
gobnaitt
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/15/10 at 20:15:47

I love my occasional backfires. I had a great one under an overpass that echoed so loud I saw the person in a car jump thinking a gun went off or something. I get then when I roll off the gas too fast on decel. Normal Savage behavior.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 14:30:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carburator adjusment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.