Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
deltran battery tender jr (Read 420 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
deltran battery tender jr
09/13/10 at 12:16:00

I was thinking of putting my deltran battery tender junior,connected to the big crank battery on the bike on a timer for the winter for a couple of hours once a week in the garage,I really don't want to leave it plugged in all the time . My question is, while the timer has the current off, and the tender is still connected to the battery ,will there be current somehow drained from the battery? Thanks!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: deltran battery tender jr
Reply #1 - 09/13/10 at 12:54:24

i think you can run battery tenders all the time 24/7

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/13/10 at 14:07:03

If you use a battery tender your battery want last as long,Use a battery charger once Half way threw the winter and your battery will last a lot longer,Tender burns up the battery.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
daedalus
YaBB Newbies

W.Mass
Reply #3 - 09/13/10 at 16:13:57

Isn't that what a float charger is for?

'95 Savage, mystery saddle, highway bars, bags, tkat, gaiters, (Big Crank, Raptor, verslavy)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/13/10 at 16:23:42

All the battery tenders are designed to be left connected all the time. I have batteries that are over 10 yrs old and still load test almost perfect, and only because it is on a float charger all the time.
Batteries last unbelievable lengths of time if left on a float charger such as the battery tenders.

But if for some reason you don't want to use it as it was designed for, then don't.

To answer your question, I don't know.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/13/10 at 16:31:48

From Bill's post above, I don't know if he is senile, or doesn't have the foggiest idea what a float charger is, and is possibly thinking of the old "trickle" chargers which really will burn up a battery, but it is up to you if you want to believe any part of it Embarrassed

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/13/10 at 16:32:35

Routy what kind of a battery do you have in your S40

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/13/10 at 16:38:18

As far as I know, it is the original. But it was weak when I got it a year or more ago, and only serves me well yet because I leave it on a float charger much of the time.

bill67 wrote on 09/13/10 at 16:32:35:
Routy what kind of a battery do you have in your S40

Rich
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 09/13/10 at 16:39:10

I used the deltran last winter...it worked great. I didn't leave it on all the time, just used the quick connect jumpers they supply with it and would charge it overnight a few times a week....stock battery as far as I know...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 09/13/10 at 16:44:53

I normally charge mine once half way throught the winter,But last year for the fun of it I went 4 months without doing anything it started right up, 06 with the battery that came in it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
lukeduck

"Come to terms
with the ass that
bears you"

Ontario, Ca.
Reply #10 - 09/13/10 at 16:52:09

Best solution: don't buy a battery tender-save the money and move to So Cal where you can ride all year long-usually in beautiful weather(we also need more tax payers) Wink-Ride safe, far, and often-Luke

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 09/14/10 at 05:40:51

Use whatever you want to use, however you want to use it.  
You'll never get a concensus about batteries, battery chargers, battery tenders, trickle chargers etc, around here.

Personally, I would pick one, and follow the manufacturer's instructions.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 09/14/10 at 06:14:26

I find the battery charger on the bike works best.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 09/14/10 at 06:27:00

Hey Bill,
I agree w/ that !......providing you ride often enough, and long enough to replace the juice that you took out from starting it.

The problem can come mostly in cold weather,.....
we want to ride, so we fire it up, roar off, and after 20 minutes or so, enough of this BS freezing cold, so we come back and park it,.........
never knowing that we didn't come close to replacing the juice that it took to start it,...especially in cold weather. So, every time we do this, the battery slowly becomes more discharged, w/o us even knowing it till all of a sudden one day it doesn't start. We then in turn think that the battery all of a sudden went bad, when in reality it was just slowly being discharged.
Not a problem ??? Just charge it up and we're ready for another week or 3 of "battery torture" !
Right, ....except the fact still remains that anytime a battery is less than FULL charged, it is slowly sulfating, and will show up in battery longivity.
It has been proven that if a battery stayed fully charged 100% of its life, it could last anything less than forever.....so to speak.

It is for this very reason why float chargers have become so popular, and really do increase battery longivity in such situations.

bill67 wrote on 09/14/10 at 06:14:26:
I find the battery charger on the bike works best.

Rich
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #14 - 09/16/10 at 08:50:49

Just in case anybody is interested ,I called deltran ,and they told me the tender jr. does not have any reverse current when the ac power source is removed ,so I'm going to put the charger on a timer this winter to charge a few hours once a week .

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 01:30:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › deltran battery tender jr

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.