Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
deltran battery tender jr (Read 420 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: deltran battery tender jr
Reply #15 - 09/16/10 at 17:28:03

Hey, that makes good sense, because that way instead of the charger only running 100% of the time, you have a timer running 100% of the time, plus the charge running part of the time,.... Roll Eyes

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #16 - 09/16/10 at 18:06:21

Somehow,maybee it's my imagination,it seems safer to have the timer running ,rather than the charger all the time.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #17 - 09/17/10 at 07:05:47

Not always, but most times it is safer to use stuff as it was designed to be used.
Your charger is a 2 stage charger. Once charged, it will drop down to float voltage (13.4 max) and stay there, during which time it will use very little if any water.
Running any multistage charger for short periods of time on a timer, could cause it to spend most.....if not all of its time at higher voltages, possibly causing more water usage, especially in warm weather.
If for some unknown reason I thought I had to run a timer, I'd prefer to run it on a single stage float charger such as the 1 amp from Harbor Freight.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #18 - 09/17/10 at 12:21:50

You're probably right,about the battery tender jr..I also got the harbor freight one, but when the ac current is removed from it ,the light stays on,which I think means it is draining the battery.

« Last Edit: 09/17/10 at 16:10:22 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #19 - 09/19/10 at 06:29:00

If you're not socked in on snow or ice, ride it! No timers except what you can stand and great for winter blues. I'm good for 40 miles at 40 degrees. I know that's pitiful, but it's still riding. I have a float charger still new in the box, but I never got around to hooking it up. And I don't ride if there is a chance of ice.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 10/19/10 at 20:01:00

Routy wrote on 09/17/10 at 07:05:47:
.....If for some unknown reason I thought I had to run a timer, I'd prefer to run it on a single stage float charger such as the 1 amp from Harbor Freight.  

That's what I do - hook my cheapo, 1 amp battery chargers up to a timer.

I do it for all five of my bikes (I don't own a cage).  I don't really trust "smart" battery chargers, so I do it this way.  My setup uses a digital timer and it cuts all 5 battery chargers on for 40 minutes every night.

Actually, the Savage (being my "daily rider") gets a "smart" charger, but it's still downstream of the timer and therefore is activated for only 40 minutes/day.

Everything is mounted to the ceiling to reduce clutter.

The sheet metal you see up there is to mitigate any possible (but unlikely) fire hazard.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #21 - 10/22/10 at 07:05:57

I've tried my float charger ,for a while with and without the timer . Without the timer ,the charger is  constantly on and warm which is normal, but bothers me a little . With the timer ,the charger blinks green for 15 minutes when it first goes on ,then turns green . I'm running it for an hour a day . It seems ,it can't really do much harm to run it this way ,and also safer.

« Last Edit: 10/22/10 at 11:40:03 by rl153 »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #22 - 10/22/10 at 08:53:48

You remind me of my long departed mother,.....thought if she left a light on while she was gone it could burn the house down. And I guess she was right, it could ! Shocked Smiley

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 03:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › deltran battery tender jr

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.