Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jardine Exhaust, Fuel Filter and lost (Read 146 times)
Tokiha
YaBB Newbies

California
Jardine Exhaust, Fuel Filter and lost
09/12/10 at 13:15:55

I bought a 2001 savage and was kinda disappointed it had an after market exhaust installed (yet for the price of the bike it was not a deal breaker I just felt this exhaust is a bit loud) and noticed it had a fuel filter installed and was leaking. I would see air bubbles in the filter and after some search and putting new fuel lines on and discovered that this bike never had a filter installed so I have pulled it off completely. I have also changed the spark plug out and as far as I can tell its the original plug. I am not convinced that it was ever tuned for the exhaust. When I ran it for a while on a ride it would backfire when I shut it off. I have also came to a stop light and had it just die on me and then it was difficult to keep running. Had to keep giving it some gas.

Any advice on the fuel filter? Do I even need one really? I have emptied the tank and am not worried about anything being pulled though.

I also have no clue what has to be done to get an after market exhaust tuned right and do not believe anything was ever done to tune it after it was installed.

I have removed the brass plug from the air filter and of course I screwed up the head. I have a replacement screw and am having trouble getting it out. It seem lose and I can see it spin and spin the screw itself yet it doesn't seem to want to come out of the carb not sure why, does it have a stop to keep it from coming out?

Thanks for any help

2001 Savage
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Jardine Exhaust, Fuel Filter and lost
Reply #1 - 09/12/10 at 13:35:03

There's no screw in the airbox that you need to mess with. The brass screw is on the carb. Turn it all the way clockwise until it's gently seated then turn it counterclockwise 2.5 turns. The screw does not have a stop. If you turn it past 2.5 turns "out" you might have it rattle out while riding which will make you dangeroulsy lean. If that doesnt improve anything come back and read read read everything you can on tuning the stock carb. There's good guides in the Tech Documents section under "table of contents".

IP Logged
eliminator
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/12/10 at 14:13:10

I have the same exhaust with a stock air filter and the stage 3 jets from Lancer. Get his jet kit install it solved the problems for me.

Eliminator

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/12/10 at 14:22:54

Where are you located?
If you're unhappy with the muffler, I have several kinds that I could trade with you.
Yes, get a jet set from lancer and you're sure to find one that'll work.
Fuel filter, there's one at autozone that's great.  A good sized one with one end at a right angle that'll point right to the carb.
idle mixture screw, most likely when the plug is put in, a little burr is brought up to block the screw from coming out.  This is one of those delicate things that if you've already screwed the pooch once, I hesitate to tell you to do more.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/12/10 at 14:26:24

I would want a fuel filter on any gas engine. If mine was leaking, I'd fix it. But if you have something against a fuel filter, get rid of it,.......its your carb that could suffer if your tank gets contaminated.

Why not ride the bike a while,....feel it out a little. It may be running just fine as far as rich or lean. Your not idling problem has nothing to w/  whether or not the engine is jetted for the exhaust.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Tokiha
YaBB Newbies

California
Reply #5 - 09/12/10 at 16:04:08

eliminator, thanks, was hoping somebody might have the same exhaust and knew what helps.

Yes I fixed the fuel leak by taking out the filter and putting on an actual fuel line (the old line seemed somewhat thin walled for a fuel line). Just seeing what others thought of fuel filters on the bike. I also wanted to eliminate as a problem so for now I just removed it.

Like I have read I seen somebody say run it on prime and that is what I did today. I should have switched it off of prime on my way back across town yet I forgot.

Found a nice air/fuel mix chart someplace and now that I have undone that crazy mistake I feel better.

The only thing I found after today was when I shut it off it makes a nice loud delayed pop sound.

I am up in Redding so I think before I do anything now with the exhaust I am going to wait for big bike weekend up here. thanks for the offer verslagen1. I was more concerned about the neighbors yet they seem cool with it even offering some advice and tooling.

I do need to figure out a trick to putting on a belt guard as well, the bike doesn't have the rear trim or the top long belt guard so I bought a used guard for it.

2001 Savage
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/12/10 at 16:22:36

The shutdown pop can be reduced to a poof, just turn the idle mixture screw another 1/8 to 1/4 turn ccw or rich.

remove the lower shock mount and swing it up out of the way.
with pulley cover off, it should slip into place on the lower shock bolt.
then 2 bolts up front

WWW   IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #7 - 09/15/10 at 14:38:37

Wifey bought a Jardine and put it on hers---then she came to me and said "it doesn't sound right, can you fix it"?. Not having a clue but being me I said "sure". Went to the auto parts store and bought a 2 foot extension--swaged on one end (I think it was 2 1/2 inch) before  I screwed it on I put a baffle in it--the kind you wrap with fiberglass---I then went to H Depot and bought a 2 1/2 inch aluminum fence post cap and screwed it in the end after drilling some holes ( sound adjuster---drill as many or as few to adjust); it sounds great--(deep mellow growl). I also took off the box cover and turned out the screw 3 turns---it's boggin on the low end but I still have some more messin' around to do yet. If I knew how I would post a picture with sound.

IP Logged
Tokiha
YaBB Newbies

California
Reply #8 - 09/15/10 at 17:03:20

To me mine is loud and not deep at all, yet I did find with the coke fully pulled out it makes a nice low sound and a small poof instead of a loud pop when I shut it down when its hot. I guess I could take the pipe off and see what has been done to it on the inside. I would rather have the nice mellow growl to it.

Thanks for the advice, I shall try to get some vid/pics of it this weekend to post and see what people think.

I am one of those who likes the deep sounding muscle car sound vs the high pitch stuff.

2001 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 12:31:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jardine Exhaust, Fuel Filter and lost

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.