Send Topic Print
No Rides for a Week (Read 237 times)
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, TX (north of Houston)
No Rides for a Week
09/11/10 at 19:00:52

:'(  Job is taking me out of the country for the week, so Doc is in the garage, keeping my Son's 750 Shadow company.  Bummer!

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: No Rides for a Week
Reply #1 - 09/12/10 at 16:20:14

OK, made it down here.  In Guatemala City for the week.  This place is covered with bikes!  Most of them look to be 125-250 range.  Lane splitting abounds, and when the traffic gets completely stopped, they just pull up on the sidewalk and keep going.  Glad I didn't try to learn here!

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #2 - 09/12/10 at 18:48:38

Ahh yes, small bikes are the main mode of transport in Guate (pronounced of course Guat-tay). Enjoy yourself. Zona 10 (viva) can be pretty hopping at times. If you get the chance, head to the Palace in the daytime. You can also head to Antigua, which is about an hour away for a day trip, or even overnight if you have the time.

I've spent a lot of time in Guatemala City, unfortunately working in some of the roughest areas like El Mezquital. Always enjoyed heading up to Lago de Atitlan to shake it off though. Be safe and enjoy. The place gets a bad rap. It's a shame as it had a lot to offer.

Buen Vijae Cheesy

FSO
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 09/12/10 at 19:36:12

A little off season but some fine fish on the coast there - not very far out the sailfish are all over the place - within 10-15 miles - if you have to go back later - Nov-Feb - might want to add a couple days

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/13/10 at 02:43:06

Been here 8 times in the last 6 years, for a week at a time.  Done the Antigua trip, never got the time to do the volcano trip.

This time around, the company has restricted us to the City.  It has been raining REALLY badly here for a while, and the mud slides out in the country have been horrific, so they are keeping us in town only.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #5 - 09/13/10 at 14:52:49

Your week should about be up..You can start experiencing the joy of riding again..
Just think of it as no longer being grounded.. Grin  kim

IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/16/10 at 17:23:40

Packing tonight for a 0700 flight back tomorrow.  Should be in Houston by 1100, home by 100-1230.  Might get a ride in  tomorrow afternoon.

Interesting thing here in Guatemala for those of you who have blurred out your license in a picture.  The riders wear a black jacket with reflective stripes and their license number across the shoulders, and the number again on the back of their helmet.

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #7 - 09/17/10 at 08:06:30

Welcome back to Htown!

WWW   IP Logged
Tanker2Biker

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/17/10 at 14:38:18

BarneyBWilde wrote on 09/17/10 at 08:06:30:
Welcome back to Htown!  

Thanks, great to be home. Grin

What part of town do you live in?  I'm up north in Spring.

IP Logged
BarneyBWilde

Adrenaline does it
every time!

Down by the Gulf in Texas!
Reply #9 - 09/17/10 at 14:51:36

Well, my Mom lives near Tomball.  Dad lives near Alvin, I live about 80 miles SW of Houston in Bay City.  Hopefully going up there tomorrow to watch the Stros play only if I can get out of work early haha.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #10 - 09/18/10 at 19:25:21

Tanker, While reading about the new $2,000 car they are trying to introduce in India, they gave a statistic about motorcycle wrecks and injuries/fatalities that I will not quote. It sounds outrageous. They claim this little car will be so much safer that it should lower their accident rates a lot. Sounds like Guatemala is about the same. Those people just crank and go. No helmets, all the sandals all the time. I can't remember the name or even where I read it. It's only about 8' long, I think.  Where is Serowbot when you need him? Pictures...specs?
I'll be looking, too. Welcome home.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 09/18/10 at 19:41:01

Found it. Tato Nano. 10' long, 4 1/2' tall, 4 1/2' wide, get this--seats 4-5. Of course India has small people. RWD 623cc 2cyl, multiport fuel inj. Claims about 65 mph. If it doesn't have a Suzuki petcock, it just might be a winner. May be a good source of used engines for our little bikes in 10 years or so?

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 10:21:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No Rides for a Week

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.