Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Snorkel (Read 184 times)
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Snorkel
09/11/10 at 18:10:03

To all those that kept the stock air box and pulled the snorkel: Other than the sound, what changes in performance did it cause?

Also wondering about gas consumption lately. The bike runs the same as usual, but seems to drink more lately. At least I have the feeling it does. I had a 70 mile trip yesterday. Almost entirely superslab and keeping speeds between 70-80mph. Half throttle and a little more to keep that speed, with a few full throttle bursts. Superslab has some hills, some a little steep. I filled up when I came back and averaged 43mpg. Is that too much? I have a debaffled stock exhaust with bleed holes 52.5 pilot and stock 145 main jet. Stock air box and filter. I did pull the air filter today and it wasn't really dirty, but I soaked it in gasoline and blew it out with air from the opposite side. It is a little more white now. The mixture screw is 2 1/4 turns out and the white spacer is replaced with three brass washers from the Lancer kit. Did that long time ago. I have pops and jake brake sound on decel with an occasional bang, and it has a decent poof of shutdown. That's how it always ran. Performance hasn't changed in the last couple of years, but I used to get at least around 50mpg and better. But I have to admit that I run more superslab than before. Still I feel like 43mpg at that speed sounds a little much. The bike rolls lightly with no effort, so there seems to be no brake dragging or anything. Might have to check if the belt is a little tight.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Snorkel
Reply #1 - 09/11/10 at 18:52:55

I tried it, and didn't notice any difference, so I put it back...

I also tried removing the side cover,... and it ran like crap...
....  and so,... I put it back... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/12/10 at 03:40:59

A lot of your answer depends on if you have a low resistance air filter or not.   Stock filters don't require de-snorkling and door removal as the pleated filter paper is a lot more restrictive than the air box's total intake restriction.

Getting rid of the pleated paper filter and replacing it with a K&N or  with a modded filter frame with low resistance media and suddenly your snorkle and air box cover become the airflow restrictor, not the paper filter.  

Remember, your stock air box is designed to muffle the intake noise, which our bike has a considerable amount of.   Opening up the breathing pathway means you will be listening to the old girl moan a bit when you twist on her tit ...

But, if you like things stock and don't like extra noise, leave the stock airbox cover and snorkle and filter alone
(they are designed as a mated set after all).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #3 - 09/12/10 at 06:32:26

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 09/12/10 at 03:40:59:

A lot of your answer depends on if you have a low resistance air filter or not.   Stock filters don't require de-snorkling and door removal as the pleated filter paper is a lot more restrictive than the air box's total intake restriction.

Getting rid of the pleated paper filter and replacing it with a K&N or  with a modded filter frame with low resistance media and suddenly your snorkle and air box cover become the airflow restrictor, not the paper filter.  

Remember, your stock air box is designed to muffle the intake noise, which our bike has a considerable amount of.   Opening up the breathing pathway means you will be listening to the old girl moan a bit when you twist on her tit ...

But, if you like things stock and don't like extra noise, leave the stock airbox cover and snorkle and filter alone
(they are designed as a mated set after all).

i 100% agree with this post  Wink

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 09/12/10 at 06:59:22

Oldfeller that was an excellent explanation. Thank you for that. I did pull the snorkel, because I am one of those that likes a racy noise. I am not for really, really loud, but I like intake noise. So practically in my case pulling the snorkel should just make a tad more noise, and nothing else. i haven't rode the bike yet after pulling the snorkel, I still have to try it out. I still wonder about the gas consumption.

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/12/10 at 07:04:39

It is very likely your hand on the throttle that is making the difference.
For one thing, sisnce you are doing this to gain more usable power. you are probably availing yourself of that power more often.  However the real thing is your increased percentage of superslabbing.
Wind resistance is a real enemy of MPG.  When you are above 60 mph, increases in speed create increases in gas consumption out of proportion to the gain in speed.
For instance the difference in gas consumption between 40MPH and 50MPH is noticeably smaller than between 50 and 60.
You are running between 70 and 80, and pushing a huge pressure of wind. This is most likely the biggest cause of poorer milage.
By way of expirement, try( I know it will be difficult), a 50 MPH distance long enough to get a milage comparison.
Your higher speeds are not bad, just be advised they don't come free.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/13/10 at 15:14:15

Rode the bike without the snorkrl yesterday. No difference in performance, but sounds a tad more throaty. I really liked how it sounded with the airbox door off. I might take it off for good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:16:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Snorkel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.