Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalling/won't idle/runs fine (Read 483 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: Stalling/won't idle/runs fine
Reply #30 - 09/15/10 at 20:36:49

This may not apply, but I love Seafoam. I would drink it if it came in grape flavor. (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!) I got mine at Tractor Supply for $7.00. Seriously, about 6 months ago, I started running 93 octane (With 10% Ethanol) in everything I own. My mowers and chain saws and weedeater improved dramatically. My bike has less power and top end dropped about 8 mph, but it, and my cars crank and run better. I did this on the advice of a small engine guy and a friend who uses chainsaws for his livlihood. Lots of people here go to the airport and use credit cards to buy aviation gas for about $4.00/gal. (The pump is unattended so credit is the way to go) I also switched to Rotella Dino at the same time. Just saying..it works for me.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #31 - 09/16/10 at 05:42:02

I used to fly a little, and of course talked with the guys at the airport. Every so often they had to drain gas from airplanes, and they were not allowed to put it back because they couldn't guarantee it had not been contaminated. So they burned it in the airport mowers and the fuel truck. All of them said the equipment didn't run as well or start as easily with aviation fuel. Also, the avgas is leaded, and it will eventually foul your spark plug and contaminate your oil with lead. Changing fouled spark plugs is said to be one of the most frequent maintenance tasks on airplanes.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #32 - 09/16/10 at 06:07:55

You will have less power with 93 octane ,and with gas with 10% ethanol. and get less mileage,The 93 octane burns slower, same and retiring you spark.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #33 - 09/17/10 at 18:37:53

So ANYWAYS... it would be cool to get back to the original topic so we can help out the poster instead of hijacking it to talk about lawnmowers and airplanes  Grin. (seriously, don't ever mention seafoam, tires, or oil here unless you want to sift through pages of opinions). you've heard some arguments for each; if you want to try seafoam, it couldn't hurt unless you need that $8 for smokes or beer.

it looks like i'm in the same corner as Dragonfly. the bike doesn't want to idle on RUN, but if i switch it to REServe or PRIme, it seems fine. definitely a petcock based problem. it seems to run fine in RUN at higher rpm tho. Regardless, i'm going to try replacing the vacuum line, and if that doesn't work i have a spare pet to try. updates will follow. i hope this is helpful.

one thing i can't figure out is why it works in reserve. prime i understand, but i thought reserve was vac controlled too. anyone know?

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 09/18/10 at 03:30:56

Stock petcock opinions are .... opinions.  

I can't count the number of "stumbling issues" over the years that have been seemingly traced back to the stock petcock not flowing enough gas for the carb's current demand.

(my personal troubles noted along with everyone elses)

Raptor petcock is ....   removing all shades of this issue forever.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #35 - 09/18/10 at 20:16:40

groupus wrote on 09/17/10 at 18:37:53:
So ANYWAYS... it would be cool to get back to the original topic so we can help out the poster instead of hijacking it to talk about lawnmowers and airplanes  Grin. (seriously, don't ever mention seafoam, tires, or oil here unless you want to sift through pages of opinions). you've heard some arguments for each; if you want to try seafoam, it couldn't hurt unless you need that $8 for smokes or beer.

it looks like i'm in the same corner as Dragonfly. the bike doesn't want to idle on RUN, but if i switch it to REServe or PRIme, it seems fine. definitely a petcock based problem. it seems to run fine in RUN at higher rpm tho. Regardless, i'm going to try replacing the vacuum line, and if that doesn't work i have a spare pet to try. updates will follow. i hope this is helpful.

one thing i can't figure out is why it works in reserve. prime i understand, but i thought reserve was vac controlled too. anyone know?

Sorry Groupus, didn't mean to aid in a hijacking. I just noticed your quote,"Maintainence is as much an art as a science". I like it. We kinda got off the subject by talking about the voodoo (art) we use to keep our bikes running. Sometimes the placebo effect kicks in and we think we have helped, because that is what we want to believe. But when your wife or daughter comes in and asks what you did to make their car or 4-wheeler crank so much easier or run better a little light comes on. Usually when I recommend something like an additive to a friend, I'll give them an ounce or 2 or buy them a can. We all want to help. Sorry again for getting off subject.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
groupus

Maintenance is as
much art as it is
science.

PA
Reply #36 - 09/20/10 at 18:24:21

Art, Voodoo, i like it all. no harm done in giving opinions to try to help, I just think we were getting seriously derailed.
I've tried additives, including seafoam, and would not discount them. worth a shot, but not exactly a miracle cure. i have not got around to replacing my vac line yet but i know my petcock is toast. i don't think these have been posted yet, but here are 2 helpful links on testing the petcock and converting it to manual:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/2#2
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1113631600

good luck!

Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~Hunter Thompson

'03 Savage bobber. Rebuilt too many times.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling/won't idle/runs fine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.