Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Stalling/won't idle/runs fine (Read 483 times)
Dragonfly
YaBB Newbies

My 2008 S40 is my
happy place!

BC, Canada
Stalling/won't idle/runs fine
09/10/10 at 14:37:56

Two days ago I started my bike as usual using the choke it was 60 degrees out. I went to the post office about 1/2 mile away, stopped got mail, started and drove about another 1/2 mile and my bike started to lurch a little with the throttle steady in 3rd gear at about  20 MPH (school zone) then about a 1/4 mile later I backed off the throttle to turn off and it stalled totally, I tried to restart but would start and die I held the throttle on and started it and basically drove it by pulling in the cluch and keeping the revs up whenever I had to slow down. It worked fairly well but I stalled it two more times the final time I switched it to reserve not prime and put more gas in it but the tank was 1/2 full already. So I turned the petcock back to on and it seemed to run fine after that. I started it again last night and it seemed to run and idle fine but never rode it. Then this morning I started it again 42 degrees this morning same thing keept stalling when I backed off the gas. So drove to work anyway (2 miles on highway no stops) some lurching early on but stalled when I pulled into my parking spot.
Started it at lunch time seemed to run and idle fine. I dunno never had any trouble before fresh gas, fresh oil, 2500 miles on it. I have a ride in two days with about 400 other bikes and I don't want it to be acting up then. Does any one have any suggestions or similar experience? Ohh ya I have a 2008 S40.

Added rear shelf. back support. head and signal light visors, saddlebag supports, saddlebags (custom bag brackets to secure them to the supports)
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Stalling/won't idle/runs fine
Reply #1 - 09/10/10 at 15:42:59

humor me: take it out for a 10-15 mile spin with the petcock on "prime". in fact, let it idle on prime. if it works just fine, then get a raptor petcock. petcock problems are exceedingly hard to diagnose and they always act in weird ways, but if it works on prime then that is what is wrong.

another possibility would be a clogged idle/pilot jet, which would mean taking the carb off and cleaning it and making sure the jet is not clogged.

seriously though, humor me about the prime. you might not think anything about it, but vacuum petcocks are strange beasts, and they have been a long standing source of pain and grief for dozens of people on this forum.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/10/10 at 15:46:28

I would put some Sea Foam in the gas,Its a pretty new bike for the pet thingy to go bad,I've never had a pet thingy go bad.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 09/10/10 at 15:56:20

bill67 wrote on 09/10/10 at 15:46:28:
I would put some Sea Foam in the gas,Its a pretty new bike for the pet thingy to go bad,I've never had a pet thingy go bad.

true, but it is also a pretty new bike to need cleaned out by sea foam. and that also needs a bit more riding to get through the system and clean the gunk (if any) out.

still, wouldn't be bad to try both. perhaps at different times to see what fixes what.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/10/10 at 15:56:25

If you try the Sea Foam, please post and let us know whether it worked.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
circletree
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/10/10 at 16:00:42

I havea DR350 Dualsport....mine did the same thing when it was fairly new, somewhere around 1000 miles. get the float height checked. DR 350 has the CV carb and vacuum petcock, I've been thru 3 petcocks since new...actually, replaced once, then I got another tank w/petcock when the original got dented. Not really an issue on road but these CV carbs benefit from a t-vent as opposed to the stock vent setup. flood one and you know what i mean!

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #6 - 09/10/10 at 16:12:36

Dragonfly wrote on 09/10/10 at 14:37:56:
Two days ago I started my bike as usual using the choke it was 60 degrees out. I went to the post office about 1/2 mile away, stopped got mail, started and drove about another 1/2 mile and my bike started to lurch a little with the throttle steady in 3rd gear at about  20 MPH (school zone) then about a 1/4 mile later I backed off the throttle to turn off and it stalled totally, I tried to restart but would start and die I held the throttle on and started it and basically drove it by pulling in the cluch and keeping the revs up whenever I had to slow down. It worked fairly well but I stalled it two more times the final time I switched it to reserve not prime and put more gas in it but the tank was 1/2 full already. So I turned the petcock back to on and it seemed to run fine after that. I started it again last night and it seemed to run and idle fine but never rode it. Then this morning I started it again 42 degrees this morning same thing keept stalling when I backed off the gas. So drove to work anyway (2 miles on highway no stops) some lurching early on but stalled when I pulled into my parking spot.
Started it at lunch time seemed to run and idle fine. I dunno never had any trouble before fresh gas, fresh oil, 2500 miles on it. I have a ride in two days with about 400 other bikes and I don't want it to be acting up then. Does any one have any suggestions or similar experience? Ohh ya I have a 2008 S40.

If you have the stock jets in it, 42 degrees is pretty cool,Its jetted lean anyway.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/11/10 at 06:59:19

I read no mention of any problems at hi speed,... when fuel delivery demand is at its highest. And it is an intermittent problem.
That rules out,...... the petcock, fuel filter, float level adjustment, jet sizes, and any other part of the main fuel delivery.
It has to be an internal carb problem, obviously in the low speed/idle circuitry some where,....maybe a sticky slide ?? Seafoam (if you believe in it) would be your best bet for the time being.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Dragonfly
YaBB Newbies

My 2008 S40 is my
happy place!

BC, Canada
Reply #8 - 09/13/10 at 13:04:46

Thank you for all your recommendations. I did the run with no problems we were running pretty high speeds through most of it. When I went to come back home by this time was around 6:30 PM after sitting for 2 hours maybe about 60 dgrees with about 94 % humidity. It did some minor sputtering but managed not to stall. Only about 125 bikes showed up because of the cold and rain. I will run it on prime later to see if that does anything then try the seafoam towards the end of the week as we should have a few more riding days then. Does the gas cap only vent out? I was thinking there may be a little water in my gas.

Added rear shelf. back support. head and signal light visors, saddlebag supports, saddlebags (custom bag brackets to secure them to the supports)
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #9 - 09/13/10 at 13:19:38

Where does one aquire Sea Foam? I have seen it and used it in the tranny on my car and in the crankcase--I wouldn't put that in my gastank--stuff looks just like tranny fluid or oil. Is there a special one for gas tanks?? I think I'm having the same problem. What if it is the slide sticking? How to clean? I have rebuilt my carb several times--most recently about 3 months ago.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/13/10 at 13:38:07

Sea foam will clean your slide and lube you pet thingy

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/13/10 at 13:54:33

drums1 wrote on 09/13/10 at 13:19:38:
Where does one aquire Sea Foam? I have seen it and used it in the tranny on my car and in the crankcase--I wouldn't put that in my gastank--stuff looks just like tranny fluid or oil. Is there a special one for gas tanks?? I think I'm having the same problem. What if it is the slide sticking? How to clean? I have rebuilt my carb several times--most recently about 3 months ago.

Wally world or any autozone or the like.  This is a clear liquid.
If you're having issues and have rebuit your carb several times... you might concider putting on a gas filter.  But a ounce or two of seafoam every couple of months will help clean it out.

WWW   IP Logged
jsarsfield

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/13/10 at 13:56:33

bill67 wrote on 09/13/10 at 13:38:07:

It might loosen it up a bit but it won't clean it .... Especially if it has lots of the black build up on it.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 09/13/10 at 14:03:40

jsarsfield wrote on 09/13/10 at 13:56:33:
bill67 wrote on 09/13/10 at 13:38:07:

It might loosen it up a bit but it won't clean it .... Especially if it has lots of the black build up on it.

Yes it will

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 09/13/10 at 16:29:59

As an aside, don't you think 20MPH in 3rd gear is lugging it a bit? If running it on prime helps, replace tubing from tank to carb and see if this helps (making sure there are no leaks).  I would hold off changing jets until simpler things are tried first.Then maybee seafoam.. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:23:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling/won't idle/runs fine

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.