Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
vibration - normal or not? (Read 286 times)
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
vibration - normal or not?
09/10/10 at 13:35:00

i have noticed a lot of vibration in the handlebars on acceleration if my hand is off the grip - when my hand is on the grip i dont "feel" the vibes.....i suppose the transference of energy throughout the frame from the torque of the engine could eventually cause the handle bars to flail around.....anyone else have this issue?.....ok why is my hand off the grip while accelerating? diabetic neuropathy (hands go numb) - so occassionally i have to take my hand off the left grip after setting at the stoplights squeezing the clutch - hand goes numb real quick!.......and I am not talking about rapid acceleration either just a casual easy take off notice it in 1st and 2nd gear mainly.

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: vibration - normal or not?
Reply #1 - 09/10/10 at 14:16:26

The dampers are soft so you don't feel the vibes.
Take your hands off the bars and you've cut the weight in half.
Causing the resonant frequency to be cut in half and into the visible range.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/10/10 at 14:30:19

normal... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 09/10/10 at 15:46:46

Mine vibes alot too. It's more than normal due to 2 summers ago--I had a nightmare--basically had to have top 1/2 of engine replaced--they went with used and it's never been the same since. I also suffer the diabetic neuropathy, but my hands go numb from the bike vibrating more than from that. But, some vibration is normal, being a big ol' 1-lunger.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 09/10/10 at 19:37:15

Check the long engine bolts that go thru the frame by the foot pegs. I had a loose one which caused noticable vibration when riding. Some vibration is normal specially if you have after market handle bars with no dampeners.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/11/10 at 01:37:47

+1 on checking all your engine mounts for tight -- when thumper gets himself some slack he can rattle your world pretty strongly.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 09/11/10 at 04:59:24

My handlebar vibrates enough, that I can see something in the mirrors, but couldn't tell whether it's a car or a truck.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 09/11/10 at 05:29:57

ralfyguy wrote on 09/11/10 at 04:59:24:
My handlebar vibrates enough, that I can see something in the mirrors, but couldn't tell whether it's a car or a truck.

Yep, the mirrors let us know theres something there, if we want more info, we just gotta look at it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jimsgirl
YaBB Newbies

Boulevard S40  
 Rose &
Pearl

Campbell, California
Reply #8 - 09/19/10 at 00:42:34

Mine vibrates (hand grip and foot peg) more on the right than the left side, at speed over 60. The right foot peg vibrates so much you'd think it'd be ticklish? but it's pretty awful feeling. Thinking about highway boards instead of pegs to see if that gets rid of it. Good thing I'm not much of a freeway driver....Yet.

A strong man sails by ash breeze.
  IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/19/10 at 06:49:55

jimsgirl wrote on 09/19/10 at 00:42:34:
Mine vibrates (hand grip and foot peg) more on the right than the left side, at speed over 60. The right foot peg vibrates so much you'd think it'd be ticklish? but it's pretty awful feeling.  

My right peg also has a high frequency vibration in the 60-65 range that stops a little above or below that.  I like that speed but have learned to cruise just a little above or below that.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 09/19/10 at 17:30:21

It's definately the right side for me too--both footpeg and throttle hand. Mine vibrates all the time--all speeds. It takes about an hour to get used to it, then I can ride normally.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 09/19/10 at 20:05:12

check your engine mounting bolts, uppers and lowers, if they're loose then you'll get more vibration.

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #12 - 09/19/10 at 21:01:03

Neither one of mine have a appreciable vibration concern. Check all the fasteners that hold the engine to the frame. 3 on the top stay the ones that hold the pedals on and the 2 in the back. If they are not torqued to specs it can show up as vibration, If you still have concerns ISO grips make a big difference IMHO. MAx

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #13 - 09/20/10 at 20:27:08

Weracerc, My hands get numb from cervical vertabrae moving around. Add vibration to that, and it gets aggravating. I found wearing some cheap gloves helps me feel more comfortable. Wal Mart sells some Wells Lamonts for about $12. They are not thick or hot, but look good and are for handling gardening tools with some pretty good grip. Velcro closers. Not recommended for pavement protection, though. We are all different, but I like trying cheap stuff till I get the desired effect. They also help with the "Death Grip" syndrome I got into for some reason. And yes, mine vibrates. It's a handy way to remember to shift.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/20/10 at 21:17:31

hf has some black leather gloves with anti vibe gel in them

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 08:37:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › vibration - normal or not?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.