Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just ordered new handlebars (Read 310 times)
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Just ordered new handlebars
09/09/10 at 07:21:38

This is a pic of my old bike but these are the ones I ordered,I must have transfered these bars to at least 4 of my other bikes,always changed them b/4 selling the bikes.I love them drag bars w/ adjustability.if your looking for some workingclasschoppers.com also some cool bolt covers there!

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Re: Just ordered new handlebars
Reply #1 - 09/09/10 at 07:33:59

what year is that bike, and if it was > 2004, how easy was it to swap risers?  Did you need to change anything extensively?

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #2 - 09/09/10 at 08:01:57

That bike was a 05 very easy to change risers,why would you want to ? I took off the risers that it came with and put on the lower one from a older savage.

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #3 - 09/09/10 at 09:13:33

where did you get those bars and how much were they?

I have seen bars with risers built in, but never bars with a lower bar to connect to a triple clamp without risers.

any chance of getting a bigger pic to see the bars end to end?

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #4 - 09/09/10 at 11:12:48

jrm8486 FSO X2 wrote on 09/09/10 at 08:01:57:
That bike was a 05 very easy to change risers,why would you want to ? I took off the risers that it came with and put on the lower one from a older savage.

I want to put the older style buckhorns on my 2009. It puts more of a bend in my elbows (hands closer to me) and I like the style, too. I recently bought the older risers from johnboy from this board, but a few independant shops told me that I have to order quite a few different parts in order to go back to the buckhorns. (washers, part of the triple tree.. I should find the paper work) But it looks like you kept everything intact and just changed the risers!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 09/09/10 at 12:59:23

CeliaMarie wrote on 09/09/10 at 11:12:48:

I want to put the older style buckhorns on my 2009. It puts more of a bend in my elbows (hands closer to me) and I like the style, too. I recently bought the older risers from johnboy from this board, but a few independant shops told me that I have to order quite a few different parts in order to go back to the buckhorns. (washers, part of the triple tree.. I should find the paper work) But it looks like you kept everything intact and just changed the risers!

Celia, I switched my '06 drag bars for buckhorns too.  I think I had to re-route a couple of cables, and couldn't use the risers, but that was it.  Didn't have to add anything.  If you want to keep the risers, I think you'd need longer cables.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #6 - 09/09/10 at 13:08:13

babyhog wrote on 09/09/10 at 12:59:23:
CeliaMarie wrote on 09/09/10 at 11:12:48:

Celia, I switched my '06 drag bars for buckhorns too.  I think I had to re-route a couple of cables, and couldn't use the risers, but that was it.  Didn't have to add anything.  If you want to keep the risers, I think you'd need longer cables.

oh boy, now I'm REALLY getting excited. Piglet, can you please take a few pics for me? I can't wait now to start on this. I don't know why even the DEALER said I need all new bolts, washers, - I understand about the cables and risers, I always assumed that was a necessity. But $800 for parts including 2 hours of labor? Ugh. I think I feel a little violated.

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #7 - 09/10/10 at 01:37:35

So you're just wanting to swap out risers for the older styled lower ones? I have an 07 what I did was take the stock risers off, then there is an allen bolt inside the riser itself, and you unbolt that and it becomes a stubby little riser, basically the same as the old ones.

I did have to buy new bolts and nuts to remount the risers to the triple trees.

Hopefully that wasn't so confusing.  Cheesy

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #8 - 09/10/10 at 04:44:37

So Kevin, you bought the old style risers and bolts that go with them? I have them now.
And Piglet, you didnt have to buy new cables, you were able to just re-route them? Did you use the OEM buckhorns from Suzuki?

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 09/10/10 at 05:46:08

Did you have the stock drag bars with the risers with (X) amount of inch for rise? If so once you take your handlebars off and look into the middle of the riser you will see the allen I think it was bolt and remove that and BAM! You have small risers. But I'm sleep deprived and just realized you had already bought the older styled ones.  Lips Sealed

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #10 - 09/10/10 at 06:04:03

Ok! I see that now. I didnt realize the stems where separate from the bottom part of the riser! Thanks, Kevin!

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #11 - 09/10/10 at 06:11:35

CeliaMarie wrote on 09/10/10 at 04:44:37:
So Kevin, you bought the old style risers and bolts that go with them? I have them now.
And Piglet, you didnt have to buy new cables, you were able to just re-route them? Did you use the OEM buckhorns from Suzuki?

Like Kevin, I had to get new bolts too.  Sorry, I forgot about that.  
And no, I didn't change any cables, just moved them some.  The brake cable had to go behind the fork leg instead of between them.  New zip-ties too.  
I didn't get OEM Suzuki bars, I found a set of HD's on Ebay, that had the rise/pullback/shape that I wanted.  They are close to original Savage bars, but the grips on mine angle outward a little more.  My Ebay find had a bunch of black gunk stuck to the bars (prior grip glue) which the seller said they thought could be removed.  I took the $10 chance and they polished up beautifully!  Sweet!

Here are a few pics.  Hope they help.  Not sure if this is what you are going for, but it was what I wanted.  
Original:

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #12 - 09/10/10 at 06:28:52

When I get the new bars I'll take a pic b/4 I put them on,workingclasschopers.com is where I got em.

IP Logged
CeliaMarie

2009 Blvd s40!

Long Island, NY
Reply #13 - 09/10/10 at 16:02:57

Thank you both. It's now making some sense. I appreciate the time and effort of the pics, Piglet. I'll take pics when mine is done~

Celia

IP Logged
jrm8486 FSO X2
Serious Thumper

ride it like you
stole it!

Spring Hill FL.
Reply #14 - 09/16/10 at 07:55:42

heres a pic of handlebars I ordered,28" wide,now if I get a chance to put them on!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:19:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just ordered new handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.