my first winter! (Read 146 times)
danthewrenchingman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Columbus, OH
my first winter!
09/08/10 at 20:36:48

it was this past winter, my dad came home a bit tipsey. So, while i was sleeping away he decided to sit on my bike and feel what it was like to ride the thumper.

He slipped and fell to the right. My bike was fine however my right rear turn-signal was not. they are plastic and bust quite easily.

i was mad, took me close to 2 hours to get my seat off and those side mount pieces. anyways, two weeks later i had my new turn signal and replaced it with ease. had the bike ready to go in a half an hour.

it was in the winter and very cold, so i suited up promptly for the weather. and got my bike out ready to go for a ride, and get some gas. well, me being a new rider put the bike facing down the drive way. i hopped off and got to the garage door to shut it and...

i heard the kickstand pop up and watched the bike fall on its left side in slow motion. it was just my luck. this time to fix it, i had the seat and side mounts off within 15 minutes. i became a real pro at fixing these turn-signals My first winter with my bike.

i learned a good lesson.

Always put the bike facing up the drive way or any hill for that matter when u wanna get off.

ps: i did not realize at the time but when i let the bike fall, it also bent my shift rod. so if you drop ur bike on the left side, check that shift rod to make sure its not bent. or else it will stick when trying to downshift. and cost you more money.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Re: my first winter!
Reply #1 - 09/09/10 at 06:29:08

Dually noted as a new guy! Gotta be careful when parking and mounting.

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/09/10 at 07:33:52

I always put my bike in 1st gear when I park, preventing any forward or backward movement.

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 09/09/10 at 08:14:01

Arnold wrote on 09/09/10 at 07:33:52:
I always put my bike in 1st gear when I park, preventing any forward or backward movement.

We teach this technique with our MTP as part of the lesson in the proper way to shut down a motorcycle. Also teach students to give the side stand an extra kick to ensure that it is fully deployed.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #4 - 09/09/10 at 08:20:24

I must add also that it does not take much for that kickstand to want to retract. I hate to see a bike fall...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 09/09/10 at 09:33:09

That happened to me once with my 750 Katana, broke turn signal and put a small crack in faring, never again.
Clive W :'(

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #6 - 09/09/10 at 09:56:39

Some lessons are learned as we go along. You have learned one and luckily it didn't cost you too much. Keep riding.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/11/10 at 06:34:39

Problem is, there is umpteen ways/reasons you go down, and you only found 1 of them yet. Not that you will,.....or need to find the rest of them, but it seems like they are out to find us,.....me anyway. I've got 2 down, and hopefully no more to go.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:35:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › my first winter!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.