fork seals (Read 108 times)
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

fork seals
09/08/10 at 03:11:05

Hello,

About five weeks ago I noticed that my left fork seal was leaking. (alot) It has now stopped and I suspect that it is almost if not empty. The bike seems to be drifting and Im wondering if it is dangerous to ride anymore  before i have the seals replaced. On a side note, I was in volved in an accident on it about the time i noticed the leak. I suffered lots of road rash, a sprained wrist and cracked ribs so I am definitely gun shy while riding. I have been on multiple, multi hour rides in the last few weeks and dont want to set myself up for another wreck beacause i didnt have the seals replaced.

thanks for any replies!!!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: fork seals
Reply #1 - 09/08/10 at 04:10:13

Well, the oil in the forks is what gives the suspension its "feel". Youre running on an unballanced set of forks. Thats gotta create some uneven handling, because the front axle wont stay level. Riding a Bad handling bike isnt the best way to avoid problems, If youre really "gun shy", youll get it fixed up, right away.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 09/08/10 at 09:58:18

While you are examining the fork seals, give very careful attention to the slider. It takes only the slightest nick in the slider to cut a seal and cause a leak. I have had to replace two sliders so far because of small nicks caused (I presume) by flying stones. Rub the edge of your fingernail all over the slider to "feel" any roughness. Or use an old pair of pantyhose, guaranteed to find any snag.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bufbills
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/08/10 at 14:50:43

thanks guys! i knew it wasnt my imagination. it just doesnt feel right.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 09/08/10 at 15:36:53

Way back in about 1984 or '85, I had a Suzuki Tempter. It collected (I think) a flying stone on the fork slider. This caused a small nick with a raised edge, which cut the seal and caused the oil to pump out of the fork. I was griping at work about it, and a coworker told me to file an insurance claim under comprehensive. I had to explain to the agent that the damage was analogous to a broken windshield. But they paid, less the deductible of course. New fork leg, new seal on the fork. While I had the fork legs off I installed fork gaiters and never had another problem.

Years later I collected the same sort of damage on a Honda TLR200 Reflex. The dealership covered the repair under warranty, though later he said he had to eat the cost because Honda didn't warrant the seals. On that one the shop was able to burnish out the nick and replace the seal. The repair held for years, so I guess it was OK.

The S40, but not the Savage, has a plastic shield in front of the fork. Some folks consider it unattractive, and remove it. I made similar shields from stiff plastic jugs and hose clamps, and installed them on my Eliminator (since traded); my 250 Ninja; and the Yamaha 250 Star which I got to replace the Eliminator. I'd rather have installed the gaiters, but the plastic shields are a LOT easier.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › fork seals

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.